#16 JohnBarry

JohnBarry

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,129 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA
  • Handicap:20

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

In my article, I want to use a story for each of the catagories I have listed, and I would like to use a story for each, from members of the boards. I am going to be sending this to the major golf publications when I am done, who knows if they bite, but it will be published on a couple online sites, The Sun Magazine and On The Greens Magazine. You of course will be credited fully for your story/work. I would love an apporprate picture that fits the story also.
John Barry
Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Posted Image

#17 jamo

jamo

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Handicap:1.5

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

I am trying to think of stories, but I think a good picture for layout or conditions would be Cypress Point.

#18 Specs

Specs

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationKC
  • Handicap:2

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Very nice article as it does what a good article should, draws you back to your own memories. Then reading others comments it reminded me of memorable Golf outings; playing in the mountains, playing with my dad, etc. My best memories of Golf are when I first started playing a lot. I worked at a local muni as a cart kid. The best days were when I would go out with the first group in the morning. The marshals at our course always had the first time off after bringing the carts down from the barn. I would play with the "old guys" and just enjoy the stories and the fun. These guys had done it all, military action, fishing in foreign country's, knee replacements, story and story. They were now living the life and doing something they loved every morning with people they enjoyed. As much as I LOVE playing well, playing a great course the average round with those guys takes the cake. I owe much of my love of Golf to those guys. Funny that I haven't really thought about that in years. Thanks for bringing back some GREAT memories...

#19 cheymike

cheymike

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyo
  • Handicap:18

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Got to thinking some more about memorable rounds. Way back when I first started playing golf, I was stationed in Okinawa (mid 1970s). I played at the Naha Air Base golf course (a 9 hole terror!). I played almost every day, and my usual partner was an "old timer" who had retired from the Navy and stayed on Oki when he retired. This ol' guy was a Corpsman in the Navy and was a WWII veteran of the Battle for Okinawa. That was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific war. I heard many stories from him about the battle, and some of the horrors both sides faced. Those stories are still burned into my memory. One involved a hillside and a cave that were located on Naha AB. The Japanese had a maze of caves and pillboxes all over the island. A couple of them overlooked the golf course and you could see them from some of the fairways. Here's a pic of one, shortly after the battle was over.
Attached File  Okinawa cave.jpg   89.11KB   0 downloads
•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

#20 JohnBarry

JohnBarry

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,129 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA
  • Handicap:20

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

Wow great picture
John Barry
Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      08 Aug
    HackHawk

Why do manufacturers put an iron equivalent on hybrids when the distances seem so much greater than irons. Surely it'd be better to just give lofts. Incidentally, perhaps irons should have degrees of loft on them instead of numbers too!

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors