TESTERS WANTED! ×

Super Cheating or Playing the Odds?

Ashton Plumley

So I had a crazy idea and I am sure to find an answer from all of my super spies out there. Has anyone overwhelmed a product test with entries? Like if you enter 100 times would anyone notice if it was completely random? Or would MGS staff realize it, then kick you off of ever testing anything ever?

Just a question. I would probably feel sick to my stomach if I ever actually did it for fear of feeling like I cheated.

Thoughts....

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

The spies are pretty savvy.  Multiple entries are going to be noticed and not get picked.  

If a person was going to take the time to go in and enter 100 times in a review thread they would be much more likely to get picked by using that time to update their profile and participate in 100 different threads and become part of the forum.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The testers are not randomly picked, they are chosen by the admins.....so having multiple entries under the same name, will do you no good.............I supposed someone could create a bunch of accounts if they wanted to be an A-Hole, but I bet they would figure it out

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

But what if you really wanted to show your enthusiasm towards a specific review?

I do that by only signing up to review products I'm actually interested in.  I don't just throw my name in for everything.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I do that by only signing up to review products I'm actually interested in.  I don't just throw my name in for everything.

I do the same thing, I've skipped over many

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

If you look at the persons profile after they have entered you can see how many posts they have created and replied to, on this new win a trip to Srixon you can see how many 1 post people enter, I wonder if it's a lot of the same person. I bet this one will set the record on how many entries for sure.

Personally I bow out of a lot of them if I feel I could not give the review the time and effort needed to add some value.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Like hcky I don't enter at all unless its something I really want to do. That way others can get a better shot at something they may really want to do. Plus I may not always have the time needed to review a product fully and wouldn't want to short MGS. I'm sure they know when people enter multiple times and they automatically disqualify those entries. It wouldn't be very difficult to check. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Admins could also check the IP from where they are posting. 100 entries from the same PC? Right...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Like a few others have said, even though I've only been here a month or two at most, I've only entered a few of the opportunities, I was fortunate to be picked for one testing already.  I have passed on a few others while I complete that one.   

I figure the Admins know what they are looking for, and it will all sort out in what's best for the site and product. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You're better off writing "PICK ME" 100 times in a single post. That way the Admins know you really want it. Duh.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Amen brother, i'm very short on time with family and work life, so I pass on most things because I know i can't give the reviews the proper time both at the range and on the course to do it right. As others have said, get involved with the forum, stay plugged in and opportunities will come. I will say, I had no idea MGS was going to get this amount of quality forum tests this year, it's been unreal.

This Srixon opportunity was too good to pass up. if by some miracle it did happen, i'll have to find some help for my wife with the kiddos for 2 days. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

There are ways of finding out if multiple entries come from the same person I'm pretty sure the Admins have it figured out.  Greed is never a good thing, and cheaters will always get caught, if not today, eventually...

“Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. 

Unsuccessful people are always asking, "What's in it for me?” 
― Brian Tracy

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

At the end of the day, the Admins of the site are going to choose people that actually participate in the forums. So, the blow ins that enter the contests with 1 post or a couple that are only for testing, not even an introduction one, will, IMO, never be chosen. Obviously they're here to try and get free gear, whereas the people that do get chosen add value to the site because they contribute.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I can always tell when a big contest comes up. The Intro page gets busy.  Then I check to see if they have posted anywhere else. Its usually contest then the intro. Then they are off into the night. 

Or edmundcruz decided to bump every single introduction thread with a welcoming message :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

There is always an influx of new member introductions when there is a big contest.  I always hope that some of the new members will stick around and interact with the rest of us.  Some have.  I think that because of the big contests this year, we have several new members that have contributed to the forum and I enjoy reading their posts.  Thanks to all of you!!  

I always welcome new members.  That goes back to the day I joined and felt like the members at the time appreciated new members.  What I find interesting is that very few of the people that write an introduction will ever reply to everyone's welcome.  It's like they never check back to see who responded.  It seems like those people are just in it for the contest.  Those that do respond are more likely to become involved in forum discussions.  Those that become involved in forum discussions are probably more likely to be selected for "the next big contest".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is always an influx of new member introductions when there is a big contest.  I always hope that some of the new members will stick around and interact with the rest of us.  Some have.  I think that because of the big contests this year, we have several new members that have contributed to the forum and I enjoy reading their posts.  Thanks to all of you!!  

I always welcome new members.  That goes back to the day I joined and felt like the members at the time appreciated new members.  What I find interesting is that very few of the people that write an introduction will ever reply to everyone's welcome.  It's like they never check back to see who responded.  It seems like those people are just in it for the contest.  Those that do respond are more likely to become involved in forum discussions.  Those that become involved in forum discussions are probably more likely to be selected for "the next big contest".

Really good post!!

Not sure how people come across MGS - google search, twitter, from a friend, etc. - but, recently, it seems the thing that brings them in is the thought that "you get free golf stuff !!!".  I can't say that for a fact and I'm not sure how many of the newer people that it applies to but I've seen new members post and ask things like 'what do I need to do to picked as a tester'... and then... crickets.

I hate that it's like that because there is so much more to offer here than products/gear to test. It is a very active community of people interested in the same things and I can't think of a golf question that I've had that I wasn't either A) able to find an answer for or B) get multiple opinions on.

In some ways I wish you had to return the products that are selected for testing to kind of weed out the folks who "show up to get free stuff".  I realize that in most cases it isn't realistic but that would - maybe - create some sort of separation.

In regards to being selected for testing it is very easy to apply - what's you name, where do you live, what's your handicap - and I'm not sure that those selected realize that product testing is not as easy as it sounds.  There are certain expectations from both the community and the admins and it may come as a shock what's involved when you are selected.

I was chosen to test a GPS watch and that was pretty intensive so I can't imagine what would be involved in a set of clubs!

On the flip side, I don't mean to sound completely pessimistic.  These are great people here and the opportunity to try new gear is one that is found in very few places.  I, for one, certainly appreciate and admire it.  I agree with what a lot of the members have already stated and only submit my info for things where I feel like I can give it my full and complete attention and provide a thorough and honest review to the best of my ability.  Recently I didn't try for the Cleveland wedges because I knew I wouldn't be able to play enough to give - what I feel - is a complete test.

We all lose if someone tries to game the system.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I do the same thing, I've skipped over many

I've been lucky enough to be picked more than once, and always wait a while before throwing my name in the hat again. I've actually missed trying on some things I would've LOVED to review.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Stroker..As a relatively new member, I'll tell you how I found it.  I was a familiar with the site by name from seeing some Twitter activity, but hadn't really checked it out until the day I joined.   I wasn't drawn by an opportunity, although a testing opportunity was listed less than a week or so after I signed up and I was lucky enough to be selected.   I think taking the time, care enough to set up a decent profile and sign up as a donor, may have shown that I wasn't going to be a hit and run.

Like you said, there is so much great information available from the members here. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the quality of the Blogs by Tony.  I love reading everyone of them. them.  They are so well written and obviously he has as extensive of background and connections in the industry as just about any writer out there. 

I completely get what you are saying about maybe the test products should just be for the life of the review, and there is a lot of merritt to that thought, and I'm sure would cut down on the 1 post entries.  But I also think in most cases it's an opportunity for long term exposure of the product.   I know I will continue to use the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band for a long time. it has a couple cool features that surpass my Garmin X40 (2nd stage review coming soon....I promise!!!  :rolleyes: )

Good thoughts!

I have always said that the gear is not free. The reviews take a ton of time to really do well. Add to that if you want to tinker with a shaft on your own dime. I don't think any of us mind because most of us are on here for the love of it, but your time is better spent elsewhere than signing up for every equipment contest.

I will admit that I sign up for a lot of the opportunities. Two reasons - (1) my job is super flexible with no set hours so I can make the time and I am always looking for an excuse to blow off work, (2) I am just coming back to the game after almost 10-15 years off -- all my gear is old and busted and off-the-rack!

(but I'm with Blue in that I shut down for a bit after getting the chance to review.)

This forum has been a huge help to me getting back to it though. I now push cart my bag and have a range finder and GPS thanks to the folks on here.  Hcky set me straight on my off-the-rack philosophy. The worst part has been that my "summer of golf -- the return of chemclub" has been largely put on hold paying for all the things going wrong with my new house. Not a money pit, but my equipment ideas have been curtailed. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

This forum has been a huge help to me getting back to it though. I now push cart my bag and have a range finder and GPS thanks to the folks on here.  Hcky set me straight on my off-the-rack philosophy. The worst part has been that my "summer of golf -- the return of chemclub" has been largely put on hold paying for all the things going wrong with my new house. Not a money pit, but my equipment ideas have been curtailed. 

"Ahhh, home crap home."   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So I had a crazy idea and I am sure to find an answer from all of my super spies out there. Has anyone overwhelmed a product test with entries? Like if you enter 100 times would anyone notice if it was completely random? Or would MGS staff realize it, then kick you off of ever testing anything ever?

Just a question. I would probably feel sick to my stomach if I ever actually did it for fear of feeling like I cheated.

Thoughts....

Why don't you just ask X for a courtesy review. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I wouldn't enter multiple times unless it said, "Enter every day until the deadline."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I joined MGS for no reason at all. I just thought it'd be fun to blab about golf for a while. Well several years later it's still fun. I had no idea at the time what goes on around here. I certainly didn't join for "free stuff". In fact I didn't even realize there was such a thing. I was fortunate to have been selected once for a driver review and I was shocked. "you mean I test and review a driver and keep it?" Really? Yep... that's how it works. If I recall correctly, I didn't Sign-up to do a review back then. MGS contacted me and asked me if I'd be interested. I wish that was how it was done today instead of the mass come-on for "free stuff". 

I don't do the "free stuff" come-on's here on MGS. Why? Two reasons. I don't need anything that's being given away and....Well, to be honest I don't think I was that good at the review process. Sure, I did what I thought was a decent/OK job. However, through the years I've seen so many of you guys produce what I'd call an outstanding job/review. Really good write-ups along with really good photos. The reviewer and how they carefully and descriptively present the product being tested is everything.

Don't apply if you are not prepared to spend the time and effort to do a first class review with top quality photos. Don't waste everyone's time just so you can get some "free stuff". 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm with the rest. A-hole move to enter multiple times. For me I ran into MGS because I'm addicted to equipment reviews even if the reviewer sucks I'll read it. When I ran into the annual driver test I was hooked. I may not post on every thread or create a bunch of stuff but that is mostly because if I don't think it is worth posting I don't. That said I'm reviewing the Sun Mountain bag(you guys should check it out all the first stages are up) I've have been a member less than a year but I like a lot of stuff and only sign up for the stuff I really want to do. And the srixon sign up was too much to pass up otherwise I wouldn't have on it since I am reviewing the bag

Archived