TESTERS WANTED! ×

What would you do?

StrokerAce

Played 18 yesterday.  Most of the time I go as a single; I get paired with another guy for the front 9 and he and I get along pretty well.

There's a threesome in front of us going awfully slow (about 160 off the tee into the rough most every time) and another foursome in front of them so we get stuck waiting on nearly each hole but can't really play through.

Fast forward to the 10th hole.  My partner leaves and it's just me.  They are teeing off from the whites on #10 and I'm on the tips (about 40 yards back this hole).  They have carts and I'm walking.  After watching them play I just can't join them.

I'm at the tee box (par5) ready to go on 10 when the last guy tees off.

They look back at me and see me.  That foursome that was in front of them is gone.

Do they let me play through?  HAHA.  NO.  I'm like, WTF?  They know I'm a better/faster player than them cause I've been on their tail the entire front 9. 

They never let me play through the entire back 9.  Was it because I was walking and they were riding?  Or were they just a-holes?

Here is what I did:

I played 2 balls each hole.  One for me and another for my imaginary friend Arnold.  Me and my imaginary friend had a match that finished with Arnold 1 up.  Hail to the King!

Even playing 2 balls per hole ALL THE WAY IN TO THE CUP I was still waiting on every tee box.

What would you do?  .... or better yet, what should I do next time?  =)

Signed, 

Frustrated in Franklin

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Did you ask them to play through? I always ask if I'm a single 99% don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I did not ask... that's part of my question.  What's the protocol - to ask to play through or for the group in front to wave you through?  Obviously I lean toward the latter...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I run into this about 75% of the time I play. I typically play as a single, and try to find times that there are very few other groups on the course. When I run up on a stubborn group that will not invite me to play through, I will slow down my walking pace, try to take extra time on each shot, and spend a little more time reading greens, wind and other things that I never think about when I am playing quickly. 

Headphones also help. And looking at the scenery. 

If you are still up their asses doing all of these things, then just ask to play through.  Some people have no idea.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I did not ask... that's part of my question. What's the protocol - to ask to play through or for the group in front to wave you through? Obviously I lean toward the latter...

Ideally it would be nice to be waved through but sometimes people have 0 clue so just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is a familiar discussion.  At my club this happens quite a bit.  First, the players in front may be clueless.  I have found that many people playing today just have no idea about golf etiquette in general.  They have had no formal introduction to the game, no lessons, and are just out to have fun.  They paid for a tee time, and that's what they think is their place on the course.  No one has ever told them to let faster players play through.  As a single, it doesn't hurt to ask to play through.  If nice about it, most people will let you.

On the other hand, there are players that may play slow but steady and either the course is relatively empty with the occasional single or twosome, or the pro shop doesn't pair up singles and twosomes.  When that happens, it can be very frustrating for the people in the slow group.  Put yourself in their position.  Let's say you are in a threesome; buddies that are not as good as you and the round is a little slow.  Someone comes up behind your group and ask to play through; you let them.  Someone else comes up behind your group on the next hole or two; you let them play through too.  If you do that for every single and twosome, your round now becomes an hour longer.  I'm not defending them, but I have been that threesome.  Two guys that I regularly walk 18 holes with play slower than I like, but they are good players; just meticulous.  We let singles play through, maybe a twosome if they are in a cart, if there is no one behind them.  However, when I see a single, followed by a twosome, followed by another single behind us, we are not spending an extra hour on the course by letting each "group" play through.  Pair up!!  What's funny is They Don't!

The problem really comes from the slow group of bad players that are everywhere on the course, duff shots, hit multiple balls, and probably are drinking too much.  Ask nice but if they refuse, that's when you call for the course marshall or the pro shop.  Yes, we have had the discussion about marshall effectiveness, but it's not your place to engage with idiots.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hail down a Marshall if you can find one and let him handle it if they don't want to let you pass. It'll finally get the marshalls to there job and not pick up rubbish or balls all day long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

This is a familiar discussion.  At my club this happens quite a bit.  First, the players in front may be clueless.  I have found that many people playing today just have no idea about golf etiquette in general.  They have had no formal introduction to the game, no lessons, and are just out to have fun.  They paid for a tee time, and that's what they think is their place on the course.  No one has ever told them to let faster players play through.  As a single, it doesn't hurt to ask to play through.  If nice about it, most people will let you.

On the other hand, there are players that may play slow but steady and either the course is relatively empty with the occasional single or twosome, or the pro shop doesn't pair up singles and twosomes.  When that happens, it can be very frustrating for the people in the slow group.  Put yourself in their position.  Let's say you are in a threesome; buddies that are not as good as you and the round is a little slow.  Someone comes up behind your group and ask to play through; you let them.  Someone else comes up behind your group on the next hole or two; you let them play through too.  If you do that for every single and twosome, your round now becomes an hour longer.  I'm not defending them, but I have been that threesome.  Two guys that I regularly walk 18 holes with play slower than I like, but they are good players; just meticulous.  We let singles play through, maybe a twosome if they are in a cart, if there is no one behind them.  However, when I see a single, followed by a twosome, followed by another single behind us, we are not spending an extra hour on the course by letting each "group" play through.  Pair up!!  What's funny is They Don't!

The problem really comes from the slow group of bad players that are everywhere on the course, duff shots, hit multiple balls, and probably are drinking too much.  Ask nice but if they refuse, that's when you call for the course marshall or the pro shop.  Yes, we have had the discussion about marshall effectiveness, but it's not your place to engage with idiots.

I agree on not being an open-door allowing people to just come on through and your round ends up taking forever because now YOU are waiting on THEM.  It has only happened to me once but I wouldn't want to do it.

However, in this instance, there was nobody behind me.  I kind of wished that there was - either another single, a twosome I could pair up with or something - but that did allow me to take my time, hit some extra balls, take a few extra putts; however, after a few holes it got rather frustrating.

Unfortunately this was at a local muni with no ranger on the course.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

It all depends.

I've done many things. Like you and others I've played two balls and turned it into practice round. I've asked if I can play through too if not waved on. I've skipped a hole and moved on.

It all just depends. Do what you like and make the best of it. I don't let things like that ruin my day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Call the clubhouse and get them to send out a marshal. I've seen it where a single gets harassed or cussed or any litany of things for asking to play through. My temper doesn't do well with cussing. Singles don't really have any priority/standing honestly. Yes, we know that faster players should be let through, but the age old beliefs with singles not having standing generally leads to confrontation, especially if they're older persons you're trying to play through.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

In this order:

1. The slower group should have asked you, and allowed you to play through.   You would have been on the green by the time they were playing their 2nd shots.

2. You should have asked to play through if they didn't ask you to. It's ok to do this after they tee off too (as long as they aren't too far from the tee).

3. If the above fails, and you have requested to play through a couple of times, take their names and report it (or bomb balls over their heads off the tee :rolleyes:).

This is why the pace of play has become so prevalent over the past few years!!!

I'm sure they're just clueless. I've found most people are not jerks on purpose, they're just oblivious to others. I'd catch them at a par 3 and ask to play through. Playing through on a par 3 is faster than on a 4 or 5.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I'm not sure that a single has standing on the course. That would preclude help from the Marshall or pro shop. But having written that etiquette would dictate allowing you through.

I would have come up 4th their tees asked and almost surely they would have said go ahead. That is I may have considered slipping a hole and moving ahead of them. From what you described you could still have played multiple balls and enjoyed yourself with no worries. Your single status disqualied you from posting your score anyway.

I certainly would have used it as a practice opportunity just as you did.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived