TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is "Affordable?"

GolfSpy Barbajo

This is so complex for me. If it's a club that has been fitted to me, I'm good with paying a bit, as evidenced by a Nakashima driver... If I get fitted for major OEM stuff, I will shop the best deal to get them. Outside of the Nak, I always sell something to put toward the next item, so I look for a discount, then use the cash made on the sale to apply to the bottom line.

As far as clothing goes, I have a VERY hard time paying $40-$50 for a shirt, and it's hard to pay more than $100 for shoes. As was mentioned in the original post, I wear Kentwool socks, so finding deals on those is a must, but worth the price.

It's crazy, really. I just have it in my mind what I'm willing to pay and there's no real rhyme or reason to it. I want more Travis Mathew shirts and they're 1/2 off right now, but I couldn't pull the trigger on a $50 shirt or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirkland Signature golf balls  :D

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I never hit the mother lode during my working career and now being retired, I choose my golfing toys wisely. I suppose this is a good thing because when I do get something new & shiny, I'm very appreciative of it... :D   I can guarantee ya that I don't run out and plunk down half a grand when those hawt new drivers hit the shelves... ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

This is so complex for me. If it's a club that has been fitted to me, I'm good with paying a bit, as evidenced by a Nakashima driver... If I get fitted for major OEM stuff, I will shop the best deal to get them. Outside of the Nak, I always sell something to put toward the next item, so I look for a discount, then use the cash made on the sale to apply to the bottom line.

As far as clothing goes, I have a VERY hard time paying $40-$50 for a shirt, and it's hard to pay more than $100 for shoes. As was mentioned in the original post, I wear Kentwool socks, so finding deals on those is a must, but worth the price.

It's crazy, really. I just have it in my mind what I'm willing to pay and there's no real rhyme or reason to it. I want more Travis Mathew shirts and they're 1/2 off right now, but I couldn't pull the trigger on a $50 shirt or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot agree more here. I cannot justify to my wife paying $60+ for one shirt no matter how good it looks. Shoes are the same way, I hunt deals online and get waaaaay better prices. However if it is a club that I am wanting I'll pay a bit for it. Golf balls I feel the same as clothes/shoes, they either end up in the woods or the water soooo why pay so much when I can get a good ball for $20 or less?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Never could afford name brand golf attire at full price, unless they were on like 75% off sale or something, always shopped at costco, tjmaxx, marshalls for my golfing clothes. Don't get me wrong, I like nice looking things but they have to quality to back it up.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I look at Affordability in two lights.

1) Quality is not cheap. Sure, you can find stuff on sale, but high quality items usually are pricey. Quality goods are generally affordable if you accept the notion that affordability is not cheap.

2) Stuff that wears out quickly can be picked up for a very good price, if you search hard enough. 

Example - golf clothes. I end up destroying golf shirts after a year or two, so I will not buy a golf shirt for more than $30 unless it is from a golf course that I have played and will not use it often on the course.

Example - shoes. Comfortable shoes are worth every penny. 

Example - equipment. Quality new stuff is expensive, but if you wait a little bit (6 mos - 1 yr) then the equipment can be obtained used for less than 1/2 the original cost.

Example - Balls. No point in spending a lot of money on balls, unless you are a top am or make your living playing golf. The differences to most amateur golfers between similar golf balls is not large enough to justify spending $50 on a dozen balls (to me).

More thinking on this topic -- I bought a head cover for my driver at the Pebble Beach Pro Shop -- it's red, white and blue, leather, very classy with the Pebble Beach logo on it. I think I spent like $60 on it. Would i have spent that much for a head cover at home that didn't have the logo? Probably not -- it was more of a souvenir than anything else and at that point it didn't matter to me what it cost. Hell, I also bought a matching putter head cover to go with it ;-).

The point is - as a souvenir I spent way more for something than I ordinarily would. Hell, I probably wouldn't have even BOUGHT a driver head cover since you get one for free when you buy the driver, but I valued the souvenir of the experience way more than just the head cover.

Now, a PB logoed shirt for $100? Nope....

Kenny makes a good point on courses. Pebble is a once in a lifetime experience - is it worth $500? After playing it I'll say hell yes. If I was a man of independent means I'd gladly pay that price to play it once a year. But with kids in college and the real world it's a once in a lifetime experience. That said, I'd shell out the $240 to play Torrey Pines once a year in a heartbeat.

Love Torrey!!! Go in March. It was only 180. Same for me on souvenir prices. I did buy me, my wife and kid shirts there. WOW was that spendy, but hey it's Torrey.

I'm a discounted shirt guy unless I get a gift card to a golf store for winning Hack To Jack Reality show!!

I'm a discounted shirt guy unless I get a gift card to a golf store for winning Hack To Jack Reality show!!

Heard it would have been 2nd place if it was t for your partner's clutch birdie putt on 17....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived