Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Vertical Groove Driver from Vertical Groove Golf

null

https://www.vertgolf.com/

about_club_1.png

VGT TECHNOLOGY

VGT was developed by one of the greatest inventors in golf, Tony Antonius.  Tony is well known for hundreds of golf patents, including the use of Velcro on the golf glove.  Tony passed away before his vision could come to market, but the dedicated team at Vertical Groove Golf is making his dream come true.

Our patented VGT technology is not just an evolution in golf—it's a 90 degree revolution in golf.  VGT changes the game for golfers of every skill-level.  The physical properties of this new technology push concentric shock waves away from the shaft giving a crisp, clean response in the hands of the golfer.  Additionally VGT encourages more forward rotation than clubs with horizontal grooves, even when the head of the driver is slicing across the ball.  This increases accuracy when compared to clubs with horizontal grooves.

RESULTS

Tested against the #1 selling drivers today, all of which use horizontal grooves, The Groove outperformed in length and accuracy on carry.  In independent testing by Golf Laboratories, Inc., length increased by as much as 10 yards with accuracy improvements of 40% on average.   Our amateur testing is showing even greater improvements for mid- to high- handicap players.

Looks like a wilson Driver vs Driver candidate that didn't make it to the finals.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I interviewed their business development officer yesterday  - he was clearly not a technical guy but he was certainly enthusiastic about the product (if he wasn't he'd be a really bad business development officer!).

It's different, that's for sure.  One thing I did learn was that the dimples on the crown do absolutely nothing - just there for decoration.  I found that somewhat refreshing. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well it's different for sure.  I'll be more interested in learning more about the technology.   Just my initial impression is they are coming in at a price point that is about $100 less than most of the other new drivers now-day's so maybe they will gain some traction based on that.  However, I know there are some out there that are holding to the thoughts that drivers should still be $299 despite all the new technology and adjustability in them :)

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You sure that dimples aren't bumpulatorsteps?

They look like the gripping dimples you see on some hospital socks.  ha

I have always wondered what would happen if a driver like this came out. I still feel like the golf technology is only just being tapped into. I am very excited to see the results of what our community thinks.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

I have always wondered what would happen if a driver like this came out. I still feel like the golf technology is only just being tapped into. I am very excited to see the results of what our community thinks.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good point on the untapped technology.  And yet just because COR has a legalized max, some people say technology is tapped out.   Then sure enough something new and different comes along. 

This is someone thinking outside of the box.  I will be very interested to see how these perform. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Is placing vertical "grooves" as opposed to horizontal grooves on a driver really considered technology? They didn't invent the groove did they? Just saying.

At least they told John the bumps on the crown was just for looks instead of making up some bogus distance improvement claim. That's refreshing.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Is placing vertical "grooves" as opposed to horizontal grooves on a driver really considered technology? They didn't invent the groove did they? Just saying.

At least they told John the bumps on the crown was just for looks instead of making up some bogus distance improvement claim. That's refreshing.

Here comes a double post. Grrrrrrr

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't think grooves one way or the other do anything.  As for the bumps... I don't think Boeing would find them very aerodynamic.  Just sayin'

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Doesn't look appealing, I'll pass since it doesn't give me another 30 yards off the tee

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I'm skeptical about the benefits of grooves on drivers in general, much less vertical ones, but I'll wait for the test results before I write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm skeptical about the benefits of grooves on drivers in general, much less vertical ones, but I'll wait for the test results before I write it off.

My first several Drivers all had horizontal grooves in the face....of course they were wooden drivers.....LOL....Actually my very first Driver had a hickory shaft....it was my grandfather's old club.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My first several Drivers all had horizontal grooves in the face....of course they were wooden drivers.....LOL....Actually my very first Driver had a hickory shaft....it was my grandfather's old club.

I started with some of those too, I just don't know that it works with today's technology or swing mechanics. I saw a video of tour pros hitting old equipment at a tour stop a while back and they had a hard time for the most part but like I said I'll wait for the test results and maybe I'll be in for a surprise.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Wonder if they have this same model driver but with a horizontal grooved face for a direct comparison to say that the vertical grooves offer better performance?

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Interesting. I'm intrigued when they say 40% increase in accuracy. It's about time they start innovating on the accuracy side, not just distance. I look forward to this driver being tested by the MGS crew.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

A lot of drivers don't even have grooves in the center of the face... and it seems like the vert grooves would increase side spin if you don't hit the ball square? Too much physics for my tiny brain...

I can't say that the grooves would make a difference at all.  I thought they didn't.  My old Titleist 983K face didn't even have grooves in the middle of the face!  More current drivers like the Ping G driver doesn't have grooves in the center either.  So I say this is all marketing and not really functional.  As for the bump-erators...LOL

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

A lot of drivers don't even have grooves in the center of the face... and it seems like the vert grooves would increase side spin if you don't hit the ball square? Too much physics for my tiny brain...

LOL, didn't see your post until I posted my reply.  Great minds think alike!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

What is the point of the grooves being vertical? What could they possibly do if they are vertical? Why not just eliminate the grooves altogether? 

I totally agree with this. They have claims but no data or physics to back it up. Even a youtube video that explains the technology would be helpful. Colour me skeptical

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

As for the bump-erators...LOL

MDGolfHacker

I was afraid to say it first - but the bumps just make me think 'social disease'...

Someone please prove me wrong and show us that this is the next big thing, because at this point I have a bad case of gimmick at first sight.

It looks like a frog landed on what he thought was a Lilly paddy and exploded warts everywhere ...

Well maybe it looks hawt from above and if the performance is there, I'd be more interested 🏻

Looking forward to some MGS testing results on this puppy!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It's a sales gimmick - pure and simple. 

If anyone is any doubt, then you need only look at the countless other gimmicks (especially with drivers) that have fallen by the wayside in the golf industry. 

As for the alleged "inventor" (Tony who?) I'd stick with velcro (pun intended).

I guess I'll just carry on using my c-face, reverse cone, grooveless face, square headed with turbulators, ceramic inserted, milled aluminium, nitrogen filled, hexagonal shafted, gripless driver that also claimed to revolutionize the golf industry.

I was afraid to say it first - but the bumps just make me think 'social disease'...

Someone please prove me wrong and show us that this is the next big thing, because at this point I have a bad case of gimmick at first sight.

that does seems to lead to the question...is there any new tech that can be implemented in a driver that hasn't already been done ?  Sounds like a new thread topic to me :D

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

...I guess I'll just carry on using my c-face, reverse cone, grooveless face, square headed with turbulators, ceramic inserted, milled aluminium, nitrogen filled, hexagonal shafted, gripless driver that also claimed to revolutionize the golf industry.

I want one, I want one of those!!  Ha Ha HA

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I interviewed their business development officer yesterday - he was clearly not a technical guy but he was certainly enthusiastic about the product (if he wasn't he'd be a really bad business development officer!).

It's different, that's for sure. One thing I did learn was that the dimples on the crown do absolutely nothing - just there for decoration. I found that somewhat refreshing.

That is refreshing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm kind of fond of the dimples. It looks like an aesthetically pleasing Taylormade driver.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Archived