TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which Is Your Preference?

Sschaffer24

Hey guys!

I was just sitting here thinking about this to myself and decided to see what the guys here think/do. I've been a cart bag/cart riding golfer for my whole time playing. Walking is fine, but my friends prefer to ride and it sucks being the only guy with his bag on a carrier when you leave the tee.

After 7 months of making some massive changes in my life (one of those being losing 70 pounds. I still have about 30 left though!) I've decided to revisit my preferred style for next season.

I bought an Original Jones Bag (Stripeshow) and am going to transition to carry only when I play. I love the simple nostalgia, the exercise, and the improved focus it will bring.

But that's me.

What do you guys do? Are you a carrier? Walker? Rider? Do you mix it up? Anyone here have any passionate reasons for being a certain way? How about a routine or perfect setup that you have?

I'm curious!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I am a carrier and I love it. I love having practically no restrictions on where on bring my bag. I love seeing the course from every angle, being able to appreciate the different terrains.

In another 10 or so years I may transition to a push cart so my shoulders and back get some rest between shots , but I intend to walk for as long as my body lets me.

The sun mountain 3.5ls bag is the perfect combination of weight and utility. Light enough where I barely notice it, but fully featured so I never feel like I have to leave something out of my bag

Hmm... That's interesting! I've always preferred walking because it seems that I focus and play much better when I'm on the course that way, but found trouble when playing with friends because it can be very isolating. I'm hoping that doesn't hold me back from carrying.

I think the Jones bag versus a Cart bag is just so dramatic. I love the lightness and maneuverability that I get out of carrying this thing around.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'll ditto MBP's sentiments -- I prefer walking with a pushcart. At 56 not sure I could carry all the time, but it's worth a try. Couple courses I play here either require carts or are so hilly and spread out that walking is impractical - at least for men of a certain age ;-)

Liking the idea of a Jones bag and carrying for 9 holes - that 40% off deal makes it a little more enticing...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Oh man is this Jones bag sweet... If I didn't already have one (or had one for a season or so) I'd buy another with the deal going on. There's just something about being soooo old school.

That being said, thank you for the kind words MBP. It's been all food choices and not exercise geared. Which makes it more sustainable for sure. So thank you!

I always felt the same way when I would walk. It just makes the round more special and feel slower paced in a good way. More gradual would be the way to say it.

Man, this makes me excited for next year.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Congrats on the weight loss!  I'd love to lose 30-40lbs, but I've reached equilibrium for my level of effort and intake.  It's hard to get motivated.

For the question, always riding for me.

Brian Cart.jpg

That's in my garage.  I live on the 12th hole so just drive up to the club house, play and drive home.  The guys I play with all either also have carts or ride anyway.  Plus it's very hard to carry the amount of beverages I bring with on any given round without a cart :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Haha Hcky you are one lucky son of a gun! From the looks of it, you have that pretty much decked out!

Thank you my friend! It's just food. That's all it is. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Plus, the food I'm eating is awesome! The Wild Diet by Abel James. Check it out if you're interested man!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn, congrats on the lifestyle change.  Thanks for posting that info about The Wild Diet, I'll check it out.   

As for your question, I'm unfortunately a rider for 99% of my rounds.  Due to double knee replacement surgery two years ago and getting up there in age and the design of the course I play around here, (enough excuses yet  :D ) walking and carrying or even a push cart around here is just about ruled out.

If i'm playing a course where there are caddies available, I definitely enjoy walking.  Although that is a rare round, maybe once a year or so.   Big props to you and other walkers, as I truly believe that is the best way to enjoy the game.   Well a nice cold beer in the cup holder with some classic rock playing on the sound chucks isn't too bad either   :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Shawn-congrats on the transformation!!

Dang Hcky, that is one sweet ride.

As for the course, i use a pushcart and thanks to MGS here, I got a sweet upgrade an passed my old one along to a friend.

I was carrying for a long time, but 1) I usually carry 3-4 beverages and it gets heavy, and 2) the shoulder straps would cause wear spots and fuzzies on my golf shirts

Plus I prefer the exercise

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Thanks very much. Anyone hear that reads about it and has questions, please feel free to reach out. I'm happy to help/explain anything I can about it. Just know anyone that wants to do it, CAN!

No need for it to be unfortunate. It's one thing to make a decision based on preference and another to do it from need. Guess what? You've found a way to make those rounds you're riding kickass! Which is awesome.

I'm looking forward to getting out there and giving it a go next year.

It's hard to gauge how the group here is going to come in. I can't decide on which I think we will have more of... Hmm.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Congrats on the weight loss.....I've dropped about 30lbs myself......I mostly ride, but my usual partner and I are going to start walking a lot more next year....I use a push cart to walk though, I don't see a reason to carry with all these really great push carts out nowadays.   I think I concentrate and play better when I walk....less distractions maybe?  

My plan is to walk most of my rounds next year, save for some of the courses here that meander through housing additions, some of them would be pretty tough to walk.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Thanks judge and back at you!

That's pretty much the gist of my plans. I play mostly by myself or with my girlfriend and we both made the decision to walk next year. So save for a few rounds (there are some courses that would be ridiculous to walk) I hope to be on my feet next season.

I think the carrying idea is simply a nostalgic thing. I may get out there and hate it and end up with a push cart, but there's something to be said about doing something the way it started. You know?

It's like old school shaving. Fill the sink up. Soak the razor and brush. And then later some cream on your face and shave with a single blade safety razor. There's no better shave than that! And it's been done that way for a long time.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Walker with a push cart. Perfect balance between exercise and not having to deal with shoulder fatigue on hole 14.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Anybody notice a big difference in performance after they've made the switch from one to another?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

You guys are making me want a push cart. Hahaha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'm a cart rider although I could probably hang with a push/pull cart except for the hilly courses. I'm in good shape as I hit the gym four days every week and walk two miles every day with my dog.  I ride because I get plenty of exercise off the course and my fellow old goats all ride.  I am one of the young bucks at 66 years old and the rest of them old coots are 70 + years. There is one guy a couple months older and one a couple of months younger than me so I'm not the baby. :D Anyways I have had three surgeries (two major) on my right knee so it's probably good I ride.  I get the walking done with my dog.

Good on your for losing all that weight buddy!!!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I walk just about every round these days and fortunate that my club has a caddy program so I don't have to hoof my bag. I generally only ride if a caddy is not available or it is excessively hot out. Too many surgeries on the knees to take the pounding of having a bag on my back.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

MBP with the sales pitch... Haha.

Thanks ole gray! Much appreciated. It's all in what we prefer and our situation.

I'll tell you what, golfing with guys who don't walk make it impossible to do so on your own. It's just so inconvenient and lonely! Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Somehow that double posted...

That being said, I've never experienced a caddy. Has to be pretty cool. Jmike do you ever feel like they take over your game? I don't know what it's like getting advice from them, so I may be way off.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I have some OCD issues that have led me through numerous bag/cart combos...

I have an 'unlimited cart' membership, but also like walking (with a push-cart). If it's a nice day and my group is playing, we ride. If it's cart path only, I'm walking - I think you walk further going back and forth to a cart.

I like walking better - slower pace, more in touch. If I ride, I always make sure to drive slow, which helps keep me relaxed.

Problem is, I like the way my clubs are set up in a staff bag. Most push carts tilt your bag back, which binds up the clubs, puts long ones on the bottom, etc. I hate that.

I bought a Clever Caddy push cart, and problem solved - it holds your bag just like a cart - straight up. Also has a nice phone and umbrella holder, wire basket for extra jackets, head covers, etc. Best $250 I've spent on golf in a long time.

I used to use a pull cart but have switched to carrying. I go to the range much more than I get to play a round so it just became less of a hassle by ditching the pull cart.

I like to walk even if my playing partners are riding. There is plenty of time to chat at the tee box or around the green, so I don't feel I'm missing anything by riding in a cart with someone. Obviously the biggest benefit of walking is the exercise, but it allows me to focus on my game. As I'm walking to my ball and walk past yard sticks I can easily count my steps and figure out my distance to the green without a rangefinder or gps to deal with. It also gives me more time to prepare for my shot as I'm not driving to the other side of the fairway to my partners ball, I can go straight to mine and prepare for my next shot.

Plus the sound of forged irons clanging together in rhythm as I walk is one of the great sounds in golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Somehow that double posted...

That being said, I've never experienced a caddy. Has to be pretty cool. Jmike do you ever feel like they take over your game? I don't know what it's like getting advice from them, so I may be way off.

A good caddy is self aware enough to not dominate your game. The last few weeks at Pebble Beach and in Sea Island they were invaluable. All four of the caddies I used on those trips were great and I would not have shot the numbers I did without them. At my home club I have three caddies that normally work my bag and they are great. They do an excellent job on yardages and only read a putt if I ask them to give me a read. All three know my game pretty well and can help pull clubs if I need them to. I think when I am back to form next year I may have a fight over my bag for the club championship.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Congrats on the weight loss!  I'd love to lose 30-40lbs, but I've reached equilibrium for my level of effort and intake.  It's hard to get motivated.

attachicon.gifBrian Cart.jpg

That's in my garage.  I live on the 12th hole so just drive up to the club house, play and drive home.  The guys I play with all either also have carts or ride anyway.  Plus it's very hard to carry the amount of beverages I bring with on any given round without a cart :)

attachicon.gifBrian Cart.jpg

That is one BA cart you have. I have some friends that live on a course here and they have some like yours Hcky. However, today I'm voting yours as #1. Really nice.

As for me I prefer walking with my push cart. It's fairly flat around here so walking is easy. But I can play and play well walking or riding. I enjoy riding sometimes just for the BS'ing we do in the cart. I rode today and shot a 73. I walked last Friday and shot 76. Go figure.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Since it's hotter than hell down here in the summer, and spring, and fall, and... Well, you get it, the overwhelming amount of rounds here are by cart. I have a four wheel push cart, but I don't use it much since it seems to take more effort than carrying my bag. I really enjoy walking, always have, but winter and early spring are really the only time that's possible. I actually play better when I walk and I seem to get into a groove, usually. I'm looking at getting another stand bag so I don't have to use my push cart.

I ought to buy a new push cart that is easier to push and maneuver too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Have y'all done a rating of push carts lately???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Congrats on the weight loss.  

I ride with my regular Sunday group and walk during my golf league.    We had a guy in our sunday group who put the clubs on one of the riding carts and then walked.  He would only ride if there was a long distance between holes.   He had good pace and pretty much kept up with the riders.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived