Testers Wanted! Stix Golf Clubs ×

Let's Plan A Golf Trip.

Sschaffer24

Hey guys!

Every year in late winter/early spring I try to get a few buddies together and plan a trip somewhere to play a few rounds of golf. Being on the East Coast we have done the usual suspects (Orlando, Myrtle Beach) and I'd like to do something a little different this year.

What're some recommendations for maybe ways to go about finding the best booking agency, golf travel site or just the hidden gems of golf hidden around the world?

Usually we try to stay around $1,300 each for the trip (lodging, golf, flights, rental car) or ideally less. Playing the highest quality/most memorable courses that we can are usually the top priority and the night life/surroundings aren't usually as big of a deal.

So if you were in my shoes, how would you guys go about this? Who would you use? Where would you go?

Thanks for any help!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having spent my previous career in the hotel industry, I've never used the golf operators, I've always been able to do it cheaper on my own.   So I can't recommend any really.   Although I did inquire about a trip a couple years ago that was going to be guys from Maryland against some Michigan guys to take place at Pinehurst.  I did inquire with Tobacco Road Travel and they were very responsive and seemed to offer some good options. 

I may be taking a trip to Pinehurst in the fall that will run close to that amount, so not sure I'll be able to swing two trips of that cost but, I'll certainly be interested in what comes of this and if at all possible will try to make it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1.  Make sure you plan something within a reasonable distant to an airport.

2.  Do not schedule on same weekend as the Ryder Cup or anything of that nature like The Masters etc.

3. Stay and Play is fun as everyone is in a centralized location.  Meeting people you talk to on the forum in person is a blast and life time friends are made.

It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun. Depending on the size of the gathering, a more economic avenue/opportunity affords more people to attend.

I've never used a professional booking agent however I'm thinking there fees could jack up the overall costs.  With that said it's a ton of work to put these things on so maybe having someone on the outside do all the foot work, would be worth the extra cost..

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1.  Make sure you plan something within a reasonable distant to an airport.

2.  Do not schedule on same weekend as the Ryder Cup or anything of that nature like The Masters etc.

3. Stay and Play is fun as everyone is in a centralized location.  Meeting people you talk to on the forum in person is a blast and life time friends are made.

It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun. Depending on the size of the gathering, a more economic avenue/opportunity affords more people to attend.

I've never used a professional booking agent however I'm thinking there fees could jack up the overall costs.  With that said it's a ton of work to put these things on so maybe having someone on the outside do all the foot work, would be worth the extra cost..

Ole Grey, they usually get their cut from the golf course and the hotels in way of commission.  They don't charge the golfers anything extra for booking it. 

Ole Grey, they usually get their cut from the golf course and the hotels in way of commission.  They don't charge the golfers anything extra for booking it. 

In that case it would certainly be advantageous to have someone doing all the grunt work.  They work like a vacation booking agent huh? 

Cleveland

I've planned a bunch of my own golf trips, primarily the ones to Scotland and Ireland.  Those obviously aren't anywhere close to the budget you're looking at.  

For golf in the southeast US, my experience has all been in Pinehurst, NC.  I own a villa (I say condo, but who cares) at Talamore, near Pinehurst, and most of the time it gets rented out to golfers.  Obviously I'm biased, but I think the condos are nicer than a typical hotel room.  The young women who set up golf packages have all been there for a good long while, and are pretty familiar with all of the courses.  They can book pretty much all of the nearby courses, with the exception of Pinehusrt 2, 4, and 7.Therefore, I'm going to suggest calling Talamore to book a nice golf trip.  I'll be happy to recommend my favorite courses, along with bars and restaurants that the typical golfing tourist won't find.

Again, full disclosure, I own one of the condos you might stay in, so its possible I'll get a little income from it.  BTW, if you book through Tobacco Road Travel, which Carolina Golfer mentioned above, the Talamore Villas are one of the lodging options you can choose.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Come to either Barton Creek in Austin, Tx. or Horseshoe Bay, Texas (close to Austin) and I'll play with ya.

Just be sure to bring some money since I'll be taking it from you. :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've planned a bunch of my own golf trips, primarily the ones to Scotland and Ireland.  Those obviously aren't anywhere close to the budget you're looking at.  

For golf in the southeast US, my experience has all been in Pinehurst, NC.  I own a villa (I say condo, but who cares) at Talamore, near Pinehurst, and most of the time it gets rented out to golfers.  Obviously I'm biased, but I think the condos are nicer than a typical hotel room.  The young women who set up golf packages have all been there for a good long while, and are pretty familiar with all of the courses.  They can book pretty much all of the nearby courses, with the exception of Pinehusrt 2, 4, and 7.Therefore, I'm going to suggest calling Talamore to book a nice golf trip.  I'll be happy to recommend my favorite courses, along with bars and restaurants that the typical golfing tourist won't find.

Again, full disclosure, I own one of the condos you might stay in, so its possible I'll get a little income from it.  BTW, if you book through Tobacco Road Travel, which Carolina Golfer mentioned above, the Talamore Villas are one of the lodging options you can choose.

Dave...Yep, I think I had gotten quotes from Talamore also and they were great to work with as well.   Alas the outing never happened as you well know, trying to get 12 to 24 guys to agree on anything golf trip related is pretty difficult.   I've seen the Talamore Villas from the outside and saw pictures the two companies sent, they look great.   I Tend to agree with Villa's being a better option.  I know it could be a bit awkward especially if guys haven't met each other before, but after a few hours and few "refreshments" it's like you've known everybody for years..ha

But it's a much better value and allows a lot more room than hotel rooms. 

Come to either Barton Creek in Austin, Tx. or Horseshoe Bay, Texas (close to Austin) and I'll play with ya.

Just be sure to bring some money since I'll be taking it from you. :D

I would love to come to Austin if it worked out.   I was there about 6 years ago for a conference and had a free day scheduled for golf and was gong to play at Barton Creek.  I got sick as a dog on the plane on the way down, and to forgo the golf to rest up for the conference.   But I loved the area

So there are obviously going to be a lot of options with my question. A few clarifications.

I don't need to use a booking service. I just have in the past and it was convenient. I'm open to doing the work if it saves me money.

I'm willing to go anywhere in the country/world. Not saying I can for that budget, but that's certainly an option.

Also the budget is flexible. I can afford a little more and obviously am not against less. The consideration I am going to make is all based on value/location and the courses I can play. And I am all for planning a MGS outing. Hell, we can make this a planning thread for one. I don't have anyone interested in going on this trip outside of my dad currently, so if some members of the board want to plan something, I'm in!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Ha..Shawn in rereading your posts it seems I may have led the charge into inviting myself and subsequently all of MGS on your buddy trip.  I lost sight of it being an established trip you guys do and turned it into a Let's have A MGS outing...ha  sorry bout that.

But my suggestion of using one of the agency's and Pinehurst stands.   Other areas I've been to that worked great and your budget should accommodate were PGA National in West Palm Beach, and possibly the Hilton Head or Charleston areas.    

A hidden Gem lies just north of Tampa.  It is called World Woods, a top 100 golf course(2 18 hole courses + 3 hole Par 3).....

www.worldwoods.com

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Carolina you're good man! It's not really established. We always try to do something last minute and it never works out as cleanly as it ideally could. I'd love to work out a MGS outing!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Thanks foz! I'll have to check that out.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

4 days, 3 nights, 6 rounds of golf.....2 BDR villas for 4 players.....$330 per person. That leaves you $1,000 for airfare & food.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Wow! 

That's a killer deal. 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

A hidden Gem lies just north of Tampa.  It is called World Woods, a top 100 golf course(2 18 hole courses + 3 hole Par 3).....

www.worldwoods.com

I may have told you earlier Foz that a friend of mine recently retired to the area and lives about 10 minutes or so from World Woods.   He lives in Silverthorn but I believe is a member of SothernHills.  But he absoultey loves World Woods and I can't believe how affordable it is to play.  If it was up here in Maryland, it'd be a $125 course. 

The pictures of that course look beautiful. That is so affordable to stay/play there!

Anyone have experience with Streamsong?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

One of our Saturday golfers caddies there......cost is exhorbitant....$225 + $100 caddy and you are WALKING!

The pictures of that course look beautiful. That is so affordable to stay/play there!

Anyone have experience with Streamsong?

No personal experience.  I have heard it's getting better now that its been open a while.  I spoke to a few who played it soon after opening and weren't too impressed.  But the latest friends to have played it raved about it.  I believe it is obviously on the higher end of the budget but worth the price from what I hear. 

Oh man. I had no clue it was caddie/walking and that pricey. Id do Bandon Dunes all day over that for that kind of money.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

For that time of year and budget, here are some options I'd consider.

Houston: great public golf scene, nice weather that time of year and tons of cheap flights.

Gulf coast of MS: such a hidden gem of courses in that area and flights into New Orleans are reasonable.

Alabama's RTJ trail: some of the best value out there

Vegas: can never go wrong, but I'd stay in Henderson; it makes getting to a lot of the courses easier.

Santa Barbara: a nice collection of publics that's even better if you're willing to drive a little further, terrific weather and restaurants and right on the ocean.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I've looked into the RTJ trail before and it seems difficult to book adequately. Anyone have any experience planning that? It makes sense to go from town to town from what I can remember, but there are so many pieces it's hard to find the right ones to hit.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

My suggestion, as a local here. Use Jacksonville Beach as a base. Reasonable priced hotels on the ocean, lots of beach-type nightlife. From here, you are 40 minutes from JAX airport. 15 minutes south is TPC Sawgrass with the Stadium and Valley. Ponte Vedra Inn & Club is 10 mins south. World Golf Village is 30 minutes south. Amelia Island with 6 great courses is 40 minutes north, with a nifty ferry ride. With proper planning, should be able to golf all of the courses (other than the Stadium) for less than $80-90.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Jax, I know you're a local of Jacksonville, so what are some methods you'd recommend for proper planning in that area? We've spoken about Jacksonville in the past and that is a place I'd like to visit. 

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I've played and stayed at the RTJ Trail - Capitol Hill in Prattville, Al. Three great courses. It's defiantly worth anyone's time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 days, 3 nights, 6 rounds of golf.....2 BDR villas for 4 players.....$330 per person. That leaves you $1,000 for airfare & food.

WOWSER!    That is an awesome deal for sure.   I might drag my old arse down there for that price. B) 

Cleveland

WOWSER!    That is an awesome deal for sure.   I might drag my old arse down there for that price. B)

I could get on board with a Tampa/World Woods outing.   Flights to TPA are usually pretty cheap from BWI.  

I could get on board with a Tampa/World Woods outing.   Flights to TPA are usually pretty cheap from BWI.  

Yea buddy that sounds pretty darn slick!   The young folks say, " man that's sick!" and the old folks say, "man that's slick"... lol :D 

Cleveland

My suggestion, as a local here. Use Jacksonville Beach as a base. Reasonable priced hotels on the ocean, lots of beach-type nightlife. From here, you are 40 minutes from JAX airport. 15 minutes south is TPC Sawgrass with the Stadium and Valley. Ponte Vedra Inn & Club is 10 mins south. World Golf Village is 30 minutes south. Amelia Island with 6 great courses is 40 minutes north, with a nifty ferry ride. With proper planning, should be able to golf all of the courses (other than the Stadium) for less than $80-90.

Sea Island is not far away as well.  One of the nicest areas that I have been to for a golf weekend to date.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Archived