Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

State of the Union - Golf Edition

JBones

For those that haven't seen it, BestGrips has put out a "state of the union" on the golf industry. It's a very interesting read and makes some solid points. I urge you to read it and give your opinion on the subject. So far two parts have been published.....the problem and solution.

The Problem with Golf - https://bestgrips.com/golf-problem/

The Solution - https://bestgrips.com/golf-solution/

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Very nicely put and hard to disagree with!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Very interesting read!  I have been following the advice of, "the quickest way to force a change is boycotting the “best ever” driver, the “longest ever” irons and gimmick putters of 2017" for a couple of years now.  Well almost as I did purchase a new to me slightly used putter this year.  I also like the suggestion of supporting the smaller mom & pop golf shops by getting your clubs custom fit. Keeping your business local to include the home golf course, shops, etc. keeps the money out of the big buck companies and in the end, may force them back to catering to the customer = us.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Boycotts always sound good, but they never really happen.  But I do agree that we vote with our dollars, and we do have options out there. Personally, I lie to work with companies, be they large or small, that treat customers with respect, respond to inquiries in a timely manner and basically act in a professional manner. If the product and/or service is good, respect, timely and professional gets my money, and then gets the opportunity to get my money again.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The answer I think is simple, at least on paper. The big companies need to find a way to make precision clubs at a lower cost. So, they can sell for less.

I know that a lot of people can afford to buy new clubs every year or two, but I can't. I'd be lucky if I can afford a decent set of used clubs every couple of years. I'm sure, I'm not the only one.

Off the rack set of irons are $500 to $1200. I'd love to be able to buy some every year, but I can't. I just think if they could lower their prices more people like me could and would buy new more often.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Boycotts always sound good, but they never really happen. But I do agree that we vote with our dollars, and we do have options out there. Personally, I lie to work with companies, be they large or small, that treat customers with respect, respond to inquiries in a timely manner and basically act in a professional manner. If the product and/or service is good, respect, timely and professional gets my money, and then gets the opportunity to get my money again.

Great article and greet comment on it Barbajo. I've become infatuated with the PGA Superstore in Southlake - my wife calls it my mecca. I was guilty of it at first, giving my business to a 'big box store,' but then I realized I do it because the employees are great, the prices are great, and most of all the store doesn't feel shady and greasy like the local Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy.

If we could all contribute to companies that do respect the consumer and the hard earned dollars we spend, perhaps the industry would evolve into one that is more welcoming to newcomers and its current customers. Maybe the death of Nike Golf, the sale of Taylormade, and the shuttering of Golfsmith will be a good thing.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Great article and greet comment on it Barbajo. I've become infatuated with the PGA Superstore in Southlake - my wife calls it my mecca. I was guilty of it at first, giving my business to a 'big box store,' but then I realized I do it because the employees are great, the prices are great, and most of all the store doesn't feel shady and greasy like the local Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy.

If we could all contribute to companies that do respect the consumer and the hard earned dollars we spend, perhaps the industry would evolve into one that is more welcoming to newcomers and its current customers. Maybe the death of Nike Golf, the sale of Taylormade, and the shuttering of Golfsmith will be a good thing.

Love to visit a PGA Superstore, but the closest one is 5 hours away.

Good article that laid out what I think most of us here know already.  Golf OEMs and their launches have really become mostly a joke.  Case in point, look at the M1/M2 launch this week by Taylormade.  Now, I love my M2 but they clearly haven't done anything to the 2017 model except update the sole graphics.  They can talk about all the weight savings and blah blah blah but at the end of the day they aren't fooling anyone.  And I think that goes directly back to what the article was stating, which is OEMs aren't listening to consumers any longer.  So let's touch up the M1/M2, arguably one of their best drivers in a LONG time and certainly the dominant drivers in 2016, and then slap a premium price tag on it while we mark down the 2016 M1/M2 that performs exactly the same.  Brilliant!!!

I agree with the article in that consumers should get professionally fit, stick with that equipment and enjoy the game.  Awesome advice.

Love to visit a PGA Superstore, but the closest one is 5 hours away.

I like them too, but the closest one is 10 hours away.  Golf Galaxy is 5 hours away.  There used to be a Golfsmith 3 hours away.   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good article that laid out what I think most of us here know already. Golf OEMs and their launches have really become mostly a joke. Case in point, look at the M1/M2 launch this week by Taylormade. Now, I love my M2 but they clearly haven't done anything to the 2017 model except update the sole graphics. They can talk about all the weight savings and blah blah blah but at the end of the day they aren't fooling anyone. And I think that goes directly back to what the article was stating, which is OEMs aren't listening to consumers any longer. So let's touch up the M1/M2, arguably one of their best drivers in a LONG time and certainly the dominant drivers in 2016, and then slap a premium price tag on it while we mark down the 2016 M1/M2 that performs exactly the same. Brilliant!!!

I agree with the article in that consumers should get professionally fit, stick with that equipment and enjoy the game. Awesome advice.

Just watched Rick Shiels review of the "new" M lineup. Actually looks like the new M2 is not performing as good as the 2016, and is quite different from the M1.

Just watched Rick Shiels review of the "new" M lineup. Actually looks like the new M2 is not performing as good as the 2016, and is quite different from the M1.

Exactly my point.  And I think TM not sending MGS and Crossfield any clubs to test/review speaks to that very point.  The changes were cosmetic alone.

Basically, TM knows Callaway is coming with their Epic line of drivers next month and needed to combat that with something.  Here's a thought: Instead of coming out with cosmetic changes alone why not just run a temporary price cut on M1/M2 woods in January and February?  The M drivers stand alone in terms of performance and a price cut for a short period would cut into Callaway's launch in a big way.  But instead they change the sole graphics and launch the same driver at $500 while cutting the 2016 M1/M2 to $300.  Which do you think consumers will buy anyhow?

Exactly my point.  And I think TM not sending MGS and Crossfield any clubs to test/review speaks to that very point.  The changes were cosmetic alone.

Basically, TM knows Callaway is coming with their Epic line of drivers next month and needed to combat that with something.  Here's a thought: Instead of coming out with cosmetic changes alone why not just run a temporary price cut on M1/M2 woods in January and February?  The M drivers stand alone in terms of performance and a price cut for a short period would cut into Callaway's launch in a big way.  But instead they change the sole graphics and launch the same driver at $500 while cutting the 2016 M1/M2 to $300.  Which do you think consumers will buy anyhow?

Dang Cace that makes a ton of sense. I know which driver I would buy and it ain't the one with the shiny new paint scheme.  Heck how much difference is a mid to high handicapper going to see anyway between last year and this year's model?  Not a whole lot imo.

Not allowing MGS and Crossfield in on the product testing puts up a red flag.   That's showing some insecurity on the results.   It will be interesting to see which golf media outlets are being sent the stuff. That might tell ya something right there...  Just saying.

I do like TaylorMade products and have used many over the years.  With that said, I'm becoming a bit suspicious with there marketing ways lately.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Shiels and me and my golf are pay to play guys. They're basically pseudo brand ambassadors. Crossfield, to my knowledge, is not - though he does do a lot with Callaway and wearing Puma outerwear all of the time so I'm not sure.

TaylorMade going through their sale has them really putting the clamps down on the exposure and things being said about their product.

Could they be handling things better? Sure, but I cant say I blame them

Shiels and me and my golf are pay to play guys. They're basically pseudo brand ambassadors. Crossfield, to my knowledge, is not - though he does do a lot with Callaway and wearing Puma outerwear all of the time so I'm not sure.

TaylorMade going through their sale has them really putting the clamps down on the exposure and things being said about their product.

Can you clarify that first sentence?

Me and my golf are TaylorMade staffers. I'm pretty sure Shiels is paid by equipment companies as well.

idk, shiels usually is pretty straightforward. His review of the new stuff that TM is releasing doesn't seem to push an agenda. If anything, I came away wanting to get last years M2.

Interested in all the hype around the GBB Epic. Looking forward to the test/reviews

Me and my golf are TaylorMade staffers. I'm pretty sure Shiels is paid by equipment companies to use certain equipment as well.

I don't know who Me and my golf are

One of the top golf instruction channels on YouTube (they are a duo) https://www.meandmygolf.com

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=6TXVr4teLFY

Makes much more sense, thanks! I'll check them out

IMG_5757.JPG

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived