Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you feel about this?

JBones

There is a gentleman that will be qualifying for the local city tournament this year. He was a professional golfer and "lost his love for the game". He applied for amateur status with the USGA after a poor outing in a tournament and they granted it to him. I understand that professionals can get burnt out, but should they be allowed to participate in amateur tournaments shortly after being granted amateur status? Personally I feel that there should be a waiting period, sort of like a college athlete transfer. I mean if Tiger filed for amateur status because he didn't like golf anymore, should he be allowed to play in the US Amateur six months later? What do you all think?

It makes about as much sense as a Sprint Cup driver competing in the Nationwide Series in NASCAR. Shouldn't let pro's compete against semi-pros for any meaningful event without some kind of proof that the guy doesn't belong on the pro circuit rather than the amateur circuit... if there is a way to measure that. Lets face it, if the person doesn't like golf anymore, then why the hell is he competing at the amateur level? There's a motive there and I bet it is spelled sort of like "trophys" or "$$$$" and is to massage his own ego.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Lets face it, if the person doesn't like golf anymore, then why the hell is he competing at the amateur level? There's a motive there and I bet it is spelled sort of like "trophys" or "$$$$" and is to massage his own ego.

Thats exactly how I feel. He was a high school and college star, but basically couldn't hack it on the pro tour. I think he's coming back home to beat our butts, just to prove to everyone and himself that he still "has it" even if he lost his love.

Doesn't sound like he "lost his love for the game" to me, he's still playing and still wanting to compete.

I'd call BS on this, he has no business playing in an amatuer event and the tournament hosts shouldn't let him, imo.

One of our course teaching pros plays in our Golf Association and its never been a problem, but he has to keep a handicap and its quite a different deal than what you're talking about. He's never been a tour player of any kind, etc.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

AFAIK there is a minimum waiting period (1 year??) after one applies for amateur reinstatement before it can be granted. If the USGA gave it to him under one year there must be some special circumstance.

Maybe he thinks having no pressure to shoot a certain score/make a cut will make him love the game again. Golf probably became work instead of a game.

I for one would not begrudge him. He probably has to start of as a scratch handicap and may eventually even be a + handicap. I would look at it more as a target to beat a guy who was formerly a pro, than a pro coming back to whip my butt. I don't think there is much glory for a former pro to do that.

One of our course teaching pros plays in our Golf Association and its never been a problem, but he has to keep a handicap and its quite a different deal than what you're talking about. He's never been a tour player of any kind, etc.

AFAIK there is no prohibition for pros to play in amateur events unless it is a condition of competition. Pros can play and even win unless the club/competition itself prohibits it.

Archived