Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Problem With New Grips

Greetings!

I need some advice.

I recently had new grips mounted on my clubs - "Golf Pride Tour Wraps". First of all, they are very sticky.....too sticky actually. Any ideas about how I can remove some of this tackiness...besides sandpaper? The second problem is that the "Golf Pride" logo is cut fairly deep into the rubber at the base of the grip, which happens to be exactly where I place my right hand thumb. The effect on my thumb after hitting a hundred or so balls has not been kind....blisters, etc. I don't have a tight grip, but I do have large hands. I've been having to use tape on my thumb,...not good. The thought occurred to me to fill in the cavity with some silicon glue....not sure how it would hold up over time. Any suggestions? I really don't want to have more new grips installed $$......but it could come to that.

If you do regrip, have them do it logo down. I haven't heard of a person thinking a grip was too tacky. I think the more tack the better...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I had some Tour Wraps many moons ago...they were a different texture...very soft. Right now, I'm trying to avoid the "next time". Change is difficult the older we get. I'm still playing a 20 year old set of irons (Hogan Apex), but have moved on to newer technology woods (Ping G10). Guess I'm just stubborn.

Do you have an air compressor? If so, buy a blow gun for it and blow the grips off and flip them upside down. You say you have big hands, are you using standard grips? If so, I'd have my hands measured and get fitted for my grips properly, not just play what you've always played. You'd likely benefit from going to a larger grip anyway if your hands are as large as you say. As for removing some of the tackiness, try baby powder. If they don't get less tacky, simply wash it off. You're likely going to have a hard time cutting down on the tackiness due to the material they're made of. Sand some off, and you only make the grip smaller and expose the same material that's sticky on top. Did you not try the grips out in the store?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Time and lots of use is my only answer to excessively tacky grips. I've had that problem and tossed the grips after a real effort to like them.

As to the large hands, I suggest a measure and a buildup, and also reinstall upside down. If you have been playing that size grip for some time, you will probably need some swing adjustment but there is a pretty good chance you will like the results. I've found that undersize grips tend to encourage the lefts and a proper size should allow you to go either way without needing a lot of effort. If your fitter is good, you might ask him to favor a preferred shot shape.

Shambles

I've found that undersize grips tend to encourage the lefts and a proper size should allow you to go either way without needing a lot of effort. Shambles

So THAT is my problem!!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Thank You, everybody, for your advice. I'm afraid that I'll have to just "suck it up and tough it out" for the time being. Its one of those choices that seemed like the thing to do at the time. I will take some of your suggestions, with a few of my own, and just tinker with them (the grips)for a while. Who knows, I may in time learn to like them.

Incidently, I'm not some kind of monster.....just 6'4" 220. And I might mention that my clubs do indeed have midsize (+1/16) grips and also have 1" longer shafts.

Thank you again!

The removing and flipping over so that the logo is on the underneath side will only work if the grips are round, ie have no reminder rib on the back.

;)

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

I also tried those grips this year and ditn like them in the slightest. They seemed to go for the tackiest you could possibly get without using glue, but you sacrifice feel and they just didnt work for me. Luckily, I only bought one so regripping wasnt a substantial cost. If you dont want to wrap your thumb, have you tried putting a layer of tape on the grip over around the logo?

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

Well, its enlightening to discover that I am not alone in finding fault with these particular grips. Nevertheless, I went back to the driving range this past weekend with an assortment of clubs with the “new grips” and some I had without “new grips”, along with tape, bandages and baby powder – determined to find my game with my clubs and “those grips”. Here is what I learned.....

1. I have a light grip with my right hand ( I am right-handed), which allows the club to move around somewhat during my swing. Not much, but enough.

2. There are several places on my hand that can't be taped up.

3. Life's too short to “fight” with the grips on your clubs. They should be comfortable and confidence inspiring.

4. For the price of a few green fees, carts, meals, etc., I can have new grips installed that will allow for me to play the way I always have. Grips that provide feel and touch so that I can work the ball and play that little draw that I always have.

5. I have no interest in learning how to play again so that my swing can be adapted to suit the grips on my clubs. I haven't had blisters on my right hand like this since I first started playing – and that was mostly with leather grips (my first set was bought one or two clubs at a time from an Army/Navy surplus store over 40 years ago).

6. Its time to acknowledge my stupidity on purchasing these grips. I'll know better next time.

7. So I'm off to be fitted to some new grips – again. These grips may well suit most golfers....but not me.

Any suggestions? Anyone had experience with Winn or Lamkin? Or should I try another model of Golf Pride (mounted backwards)?

In the 20+ years I've been playing golf I've never heard of someone getting blisters from the logos on grips. Now, blisters from hands moving around during the swing..... well, that's another matter altogether.

I know you said you didn't have this problem with the old grips but I find it odd.

We are talking these type yes?

golfshop_GolfPride_TourWrap_Perforated.jpg

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

Pretty sure it's the 2g version

2b.jpg

I, personally, prefer the Lamkin Performance Plue 3gen in White midsize. I used to be a cord guy, but the new cords out these days are awful because they softened the cord. I want them to cause callouses, not be soft. Even sanding them with sandpaper doesn't make them rough enough. Switched to the new 3gens and love them. http://golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_LK0062

I put all of my grips on logo down, but the logo on these are practically non-existent as you can barely feel them when they're right side up.

Another tip? Put them on with an air compressor instead of tape and solvent. That way you can experiment with grip orientation and if you don't like them, blow them right back off and return them. I'd buy one grip of the kinds I'm considering and try them on a few different clubs. Find the one you like and buy enough for the whole set. Our local stores have every grip they sell installed on shafts so you can feel what they feel like installed.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Your right....they are the 2G model....check it out here http://www.golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=noncord&grip=tourwrap

First of all, I guess I didn't provide all the information.....the blisters formed from my right hand moving around slightly. I had addressed the problem with my thumb by taping it up before practicing....the blisters formed towards the bottom of my right hand, at the base of the two smallest fingers.

I had some old tour wraps that had a whole different texture. That's what I thought I was getting.

The pro at my regular golf course has told me he'll work with me to find the right grip. It was my fault when I told him to grip all my clubs with the Tour Wrap, not knowing they changed the compostion of the grips. Should have done some research first. I also just discovered, on the link above, that the grips were designed for players with medium swing speeds. I (still) have a fast swing speed.

I should also mention that I still use an interlocking grip, which should explain how the blisters formed where they did.

I will check out the Lamkins...Thank You. Seems I've noticed a number of pros playing that grip. You mentioned using the mid-size....The tour wraps I just went to war with are mid-size. Has that affected how you "release the club" during your swing?

I should also mention that I still use an interlocking grip, which should explain how the blisters formed where they did.

I will check out the Lamkins...Thank You. Seems I've noticed a number of pros playing that grip. You mentioned using the mid-size....The tour wraps I just went to war with are mid-size. Has that affected how you "release the club" during your swing?

No, because that's what size I required due to a grip fitting/sizing I did using a sizing chart. I hit the ball better with midsize to be honest. The undersized grips created a tendancy to flip the club for me.

In The Bag

If you do regrip, have them do it logo down. I haven't heard of a person thinking a grip was too tacky. I think the more tack the better...

The opposite side of the Logo imprint has a bunch of lines carved into the grip....just as rough as the Logo.

I just regripped 4 month old clubs with the Midsize Tour Wrap 2G as i have slight arthritis in my fingers.....sure you have to be careful where you lay the club....as it will pick up any sand particles. That's why I always have a towel, or use a divot tool or tee to prop up the club from the ground around the green. The grips are terrific! I don't have to squeeze as hard and my aching fingers feel much better.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The opposite side of the Logo imprint has a bunch of lines carved into the grip....just as rough as the Logo.

I just regripped 4 month old clubs with the Midsize Tour Wrap 2G as i have slight arthritis in my fingers.....sure you have to be careful where you lay the club....as it will pick up any sand particles. That's why I always have a towel, or use a divot tool or tee to prop up the club from the ground around the green. The grips are terrific! I don't have to squeeze as hard and my aching fingers feel much better.

Foz,

Have you tried the Lamkin arthritic grips? Reason I ask is because several people I know that have arthritis swear by them. I can't get used to the texture myeslf, and being 27 I don't suffer from visits from uncle arthur yet either. I'm just wondering if someone other than the people I know around here actually have tried them or use them.

In The Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its enlightening to discover that I am not alone in finding fault with these particular grips. Nevertheless, I went back to the driving range this past weekend with an assortment of clubs with the “new grips” and some I had without “new grips”, along with tape, bandages and baby powder – determined to find my game with my clubs and “those grips”. Here is what I learned.....

1. I have a light grip with my right hand ( I am right-handed), which allows the club to move around somewhat during my swing. Not much, but enough.

2. There are several places on my hand that can't be taped up.

3. Life's too short to “fight” with the grips on your clubs. They should be comfortable and confidence inspiring.

4. For the price of a few green fees, carts, meals, etc., I can have new grips installed that will allow for me to play the way I always have. Grips that provide feel and touch so that I can work the ball and play that little draw that I always have.

5. I have no interest in learning how to play again so that my swing can be adapted to suit the grips on my clubs. I haven't had blisters on my right hand like this since I first started playing – and that was mostly with leather grips (my first set was bought one or two clubs at a time from an Army/Navy surplus store over 40 years ago).

6. Its time to acknowledge my stupidity on purchasing these grips. I'll know better next time.

7. So I'm off to be fitted to some new grips – again. These grips may well suit most golfers....but not me.

Any suggestions? Anyone had experience with Winn or Lamkin? Or should I try another model of Golf Pride (mounted backwards)?

1. the grip is too small for that hand. It's actually very common for that to happen and people just think that that's the way it's supposed to be. Not at all- I'm a lefty, and I have 3 wraps of build-up tape under my left hand. This stopped me from regripping the club during my swing, giving me consistency.

2. If the grips were properly sized, this wouldn't be happening.

3. see #2. you shouldn't have to "fight" anything when it comes to equipment. If it's properly fitted, it'll work FOR you, not AGAINST you.

4. It doesn't have to be that way. Go to Hireko.com- their Karma line of grips are inexpensive and durable. I have the Multi-Texture (blk/wht) on my GW, SW and LW. Black Widow also makes a decent grip ($3.39 at Golfsmith.com). I currently have the Tour Silk installed on the rest of my clubs (from the Tacki-Mack Itomics).

5. again, see #2 and #3.

6. Don't judge yourself too harshly. It might not even be the grip's fault, just improperly sized...

7. At least these will be fitted! Hopefully you'll be A-OK now.

Archived