TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

since I have been outed http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/344-what-do-you-do-for-a-living/

I thought I could try to answer any EASY fitting questions that are out there...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

What do you think is the optimal way to fit a golfer for their lie angles?

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

How are places like Golf Galaxy and Dick's for getting fit? I'm assuming they are OK for beginners, but the better you get, you should be going somewhere else to be fit???

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

What do you think is the optimal way to fit a golfer for their lie angles?

3JACK

Good question. At my facility, we fit outside on a driving range. I have used several methods, but the most reliable seems to be a combo of lie tape and flight. If I give my guy a club that he is marking on the heel, but the flight is spot on, then we go with it. I could care less if the mark is in the center of the club, if the shots are 30 yards offline. Isn't that the reason we fit??

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

How are places like Golf Galaxy and Dick's for getting fit? I'm assuming they are OK for beginners, but the better you get, you should be going somewhere else to be fit???

I know the local Dicks has a few fellas that used to work for us, and know their stuff. Unfortunately, there is no outdoor range, and the Big Box boys must rely totally on launch monitor data. And we all know that sometimes those things can be a little messed up. IMO, you are better of finding a local pro or shop that has a range and go get fit there.

Lie boards?

Lie boards only tell you so much. You really need to see the ball fly

If I were to go from using S300 shafts in my irons which weigh about 130 grams to KBS stiff which weighs about 120 grams, how many swingweight points would that effect?

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

If I were to go from using S300 shafts in my irons which weigh about 130 grams to KBS stiff which weighs about 120 grams, how many swingweight points would that effect?

3JACK

If you use the same lengths and grips, the change will be between 1-2 swing weights.

Sorry for the brief answer. Changing to a 10g lighter shaft with all other variables staying the same, will lighten the swingweight approx 1.5 points.

Thanks, amigo.

3JACK

Glad I could help.

• SPY VIP

So in my quest to make better contact, I seem to make better contact if I stand taller in my stance. However this brings the heel of the club up and while I feel compression, ball flight is very hooky. I am a classically untrained OTT swinger. Issues with rotation. bla bla bla. Standing taller makes me turn better, or so it seems. Looking at the club though, when I stand taller, I am not hitting the middle of the burners, more like the front 1/3. mat marks toward the toe.

I am thinking that maybe I need the Irons bent up a bit. Does this make sense. I remember that up or down promotes left or right, but I don't remember which. It also seems to be more of an issue with the burners than the MX200s but I am sure that is only because I don't own those yet...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

• SPY VIP

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

5'11"/6'

Clubs are 1/2" short as per fitting (long arms, short legs) standard L&L

It is just such a different ball flight than the one I have been fighting. Straight for 60% then a hard left tail. When I was really bad OTT, it was almost the opposite with the slice.

Volvo Intorqueo

5'11"/6'

Clubs are 1/2" short as per fitting (long arms, short legs) standard L&L

It is just such a different ball flight than the one I have been fighting. Straight for 60% then a hard left tail. When I was really bad OTT, it was almost the opposite with the slice.

Sounds like a tough one to diagnose without seeing you in person. I know this sounds lame, but there are sooooo many thins that could be taking place, that I would hate to ruin your game with the wrong info. FWIW, the Burners are 1/2 inch over standard to begin with, so -1/2 in length is not a lot. If you are moving alot closer to the ball, try gripping up on the club another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and see if your face impact improves. If that is the case, I'm sure that you will be digging the toe of your clubs into the ground, and need a lie angle adjustment. I hope that this helps more than it harms... unless we are playing for $$$$

• SPY VIP

Sounds like a tough one to diagnose without seeing you in person. I know this sounds lame, but there are sooooo many thins that could be taking place, that I would hate to ruin your game with the wrong info. FWIW, the Burners are 1/2 inch over standard to begin with, so -1/2 in length is not a lot. If you are moving alot closer to the ball, try gripping up on the club another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and see if your face impact improves. If that is the case, I'm sure that you will be digging the toe of your clubs into the ground, and need a lie angle adjustment. I hope that this helps more than it harms... unless we are playing for $$$$

Thanks for the help. My next clump of "golf money" is going to go to a series of lessons, probably with one of the Haggin pros. I can't watch myself and it feels like I have hit a point where everything is going everywhere.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks for the help. My next clump of "golf money" is going to go to a series of lessons, probably with one of the Haggin pros. I can't watch myself and it feels like I have hit a point where everything is going everywhere.

always a good idea to have someone look at you if you feel it going sideways. It could very well be something very simple, like an alignment error...

• SPY VIP

always a good idea to have someone look at you if you feel it going sideways. It could very well be something very simple, like an alignment error...

That's my hope. Look at my swing, diagnose the garbage, give me some drills for a week, and see you again next week.

Wash, rinse, repeat, shoot in the 80's

Volvo Intorqueo

That's my hope. Look at my swing, diagnose the garbage, give me some drills for a week, and see you again next week.

Wash, rinse, repeat, shoot in the 80's

Updates??

• SPY VIP

Updates??

Well i hit the range again on Sunday. Haggin is a mess as they update the range to mega fancy so the mats are on the infield grass.

Ditched the "tall" address and really focused on slow from the top. bottom of the pool slow, and it made a difference. No real loss of distance either. silly game

when the hook came back I could feel that I was fast and my right arm/elbow separated from my body early.

still think that the burners lack the feel of the MX200's but no new irons yet.

hoping to play on weekend, friday is out because of a funeral

ssssssssllllooooowwwwww was magical

Volvo Intorqueo

Well i hit the range again on Sunday. Haggin is a mess as they update the range to mega fancy so the mats are on the infield grass.

Ditched the "tall" address and really focused on slow from the top. bottom of the pool slow, and it made a difference. No real loss of distance either. silly game

when the hook came back I could feel that I was fast and my right arm/elbow separated from my body early.

still think that the burners lack the feel of the MX200's but no new irons yet.

hoping to play on weekend, friday is out because of a funeral

ssssssssllllooooowwwwww was magical

nice to hear. not about the funeral, but that the golf swing is coming back.

• SPY VIP

nice to hear. not about the funeral, but that the golf swing is coming back.

actually went to the range again today and I could now feel it when I missed. if i am too fast from the top i miss left

if i lose my right elbow from my body, i miss right, assuming OTT is back again

slow and right arm under control and I was hitting it much better

going to get out again on thursday and keep trying to groove that feeling.

Volvo Intorqueo

actually went to the range again today and I could now feel it when I missed. if i am too fast from the top i miss left

if i lose my right elbow from my body, i miss right, assuming OTT is back again

slow and right arm under control and I was hitting it much better

going to get out again on thursday and keep trying to groove that feeling.

I really think that is all that you can do. Keep grinding and hope to find it in there one day.

• SPY VIP

I really think that is all that you can do. Keep grinding and hope to find it in there one day.

If I can now hit the balls and truly know when I have hit them correctly, by feel and flight anyway, I think that the range sessions will be much better. Plus the rain has finally stopped in norcal so the grass areas at the range will be opening soon.

Volvo Intorqueo

nicsherman, i have a shaft fitting question regarding the aldila voodoo. this has been a shaft i've been wanting to try for awhile now and plan on installing one in a new driver. i have no experience with it and was hoping you could give me a little guidance on choosing the right flex. while you don't have the benefit of seeing my swing, i can give you a little information. my last four drivers were fitted with the prolaunch red regular flex and the blueboard stiff flex. i find that both of these shafts produce a mid-level ball flight and similar distances. my recent average drives are between 240-255. I have an even tempo swing. a couple of days ago i read the voodoo being described as playing a little soft for their rated flex based on traditional cpm readings. based on the information i've gleaned off the internet, i seem to feel i fit somewhere between an RVS6 and an SVS6. any guidance would be most appreciated.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

nicsherman, i have a shaft fitting question regarding the aldila voodoo. this has been a shaft i've been wanting to try for awhile now and plan on installing one in a new driver. i have no experience with it and was hoping you could give me a little guidance on choosing the right flex. while you don't have the benefit of seeing my swing, i can give you a little information. my last four drivers were fitted with the prolaunch red regular flex and the blueboard stiff flex. i find that both of these shafts produce a mid-level ball flight and similar distances. my recent average drives are between 240-255. I have an even tempo swing. a couple of days ago i read the voodoo being described as playing a little soft for their rated flex based on traditional cpm readings. based on the information i've gleaned off the internet, i seem to feel i fit somewhere between an RVS6 and an SVS6. any guidance would be most appreciated.

I think that you would like the feel of the SVS6 more than the RVS6. VooDoo and BlueBoard are very similar in feel, so a Stiff BB would lead me to say SVS6. On a personal note, I hate the VooDoo. I have Never liked any club with that shaft in it. But, different strokes to different folks.

I think that you would like the feel of the SVS6 more than the RVS6. VooDoo and BlueBoard are very similar in feel, so a Stiff BB would lead me to say SVS6. On a personal note, I hate the VooDoo. I have Never liked any club with that shaft in it. But, different strokes to different folks.

Thank you for your assistance, nicsherman. Can you elaborate a little on what you didn't like about the Voodoo? I've read a few things about its performance, but don't recall reading anything subjective regarding its feel. With regards to Adila shafts, I had an NV installed in a driver once and disliked it. I hit a friend's NVS and thought even less of it. I was told the Voodoo with its VS technology plays differently.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

Thank you for your assistance, nicsherman. Can you elaborate a little on what you didn't like about the Voodoo? I've read a few things about its performance, but don't recall reading anything subjective regarding its feel. With regards to Adila shafts, I had an NV installed in a driver once and disliked it. I hit a friend's NVS and thought even less of it. I was told the Voodoo with its VS technology plays differently.

I have played the NV for years, and still Game the Pink NV in my fairway wood. I just am not a fan of the VooDoo. For whatever reason, I cannot make a repeating swing with this shaft. I have tried it in every possible flex and head, and nothing works... for me. I thought I would love this shaft, but i was wrong.