80 replies to this topic

#31 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

Nic, that's interesting, I'm completely the opposite. I played the NV in my driver for a bit and I hated it. I didn't think it had much "feel," just extremely boardy. On the other hand, I really liked the Voodoo when I demo'd it. It feels extremely lively, even in the stiff flex, but yet it doesn't perform like a noodle - nice mid/low trajectory. Interesting how different products feel totally different in different hands.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#32 mainuh

mainuh

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Locationsurfside beach, sc via redding, ct

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Well i hit the range again on Sunday. Haggin is a mess as they update the range to mega fancy so the mats are on the infield grass.
Ditched the "tall" address and really focused on slow from the top. bottom of the pool slow, and it made a difference. No real loss of distance either. silly game
when the hook came back I could feel that I was fast and my right arm/elbow separated from my body early.
still think that the burners lack the feel of the MX200's but no new irons yet.
hoping to play on weekend, friday is out because of a funeral

ssssssssllllooooowwwwww was magical

Sac - I noticed that you are playing out of Haggin ?

IIRC, Leith Anderson (clubmaker) plays out of there as well - He has a standing offer for anyone to join him for a round every week. One helluva clubmaker, smart guy - know him ?

rob
I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

#33 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,147 posts
  • LocationOregon. #GoDucks
  • Handicap:9.5

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

Nic, that's interesting, I'm completely the opposite. I played the NV in my driver for a bit and I hated it. I didn't think it had much "feel," just extremely boardy. On the other hand, I really liked the Voodoo when I demo'd it. It feels extremely lively, even in the stiff flex, but yet it doesn't perform like a noodle - nice mid/low trajectory. Interesting how different products feel totally different in different hands.

It just be the feel of the Voodoo that puts me off. I have given up trying to figure it out. I only know that I have to test whatever I an gonna buy, or the results will not be good.

What I tote around the golf course..

Driver -  :taylormade-small: R9 SuperDeep TP 9* Fubuki 63s 45" Set to N

Fairway -  :adams-small:  Tour Issue 40/60 Aldila Pink NV 75x 42.5"

Hybrid -  :adams-small: 18* DHy AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff
Hybrid -  :cleveland-small:  22* Hibore AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff

Irons -  :adams-small: CB1 Pro Black 5-PW Project X Flighted 6.0 Std length, 1* flat
Wedges - C.Carnahan Forged 50*, 54*, 58* TTDG Stiff, all bent 1* flat
Putter -  :ping-small: Scottsdale Anser Nickel Pink Iomic Grip 33" Bent 4* up

All clubs gripped with Lamkin uTX standard Size Grips.

@nicsherman

#34 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Handicap:16

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

In my GolfTEC lesson, one of the things that the instructor pointed out was that I shouldn't be addressing the ball without the toe of my iron at least pointing up a little. He had me carry my hands lower at address, which effectively did just that. Do you agree with that? Just curious to get your opinion from a fitters point of view.
Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue
Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum
Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore
Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core
Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT
Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner
Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

#35 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, same here. I've found all the NV shafts very board like for their flex - even the NVS. Just not the shafts for me. On the other hand, the Mitsubishi Diamana series which has been making its way into a lot of clubs lately seems to work pretty well.
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

#36 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, same here. I've found all the NV shafts very board like for their flex - even the NVS. Just not the shafts for me. On the other hand, the Mitsubishi Diamana series which has been making its way into a lot of clubs lately seems to work pretty well.

I think Mitsubishi makes some very nice shafts, but you do need to pay attention to whether or not you're getting a true Whiteboard/Blueboard/etc or if you're getting a "made for" shaft. If you like the way it performs, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it is something to consider.

#37 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

I think Mitsubishi makes some very nice shafts, but you do need to pay attention to whether or not you're getting a true Whiteboard/Blueboard/etc or if you're getting a "made for" shaft. If you like the way it performs, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it is something to consider.

Good point. The Launcher DST Cleveland just sent me for review says "Mitsubishi Rayon design for Cleveland Golf". I assume that is what you are referring to?
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

#38 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Good point. The Launcher DST Cleveland just sent me for review says "Mitsubishi Rayon design for Cleveland Golf". I assume that is what you are referring to?

Yup. Similar to the Matrix shafts in the Adams Fast 10's, the Mitsubishis in the original Nike Sasquatch's...plenty of examples.

More importantly, how can I get companies to send me free clubs?

#39 jamo

jamo

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Handicap:1.5

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

Yup. Similar to the Matrix shafts in the Adams Fast 10's, the Mitsubishis in the original Nike Sasquatch's...plenty of examples.

More importantly, how can I get companies to send me free clubs?

Titleist does that with the VooDoo and the Whiteboard too.

#40 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

• Members

• 2,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

In my GolfTEC lesson, one of the things that the instructor pointed out was that I shouldn't be addressing the ball without the toe of my iron at least pointing up a little. He had me carry my hands lower at address, which effectively did just that. Do you agree with that? Just curious to get your opinion from a fitters point of view.

I am more concerned with position at impact, and ball flight, than position at address. In the old days, toe a little in the air was how we fit for lie angle. Toe up at address was to allow a little toe droop during the swing. We now use a little more sophisticated technology for lie angle fitting....

Irons -  :adams-small: CB1 Pro Black 5-PW Project X Flighted 6.0 Std length, 1* flat

@nicsherman

#41 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

I am more concerned with position at impact, and ball flight, than position at address. In the old days, toe a little in the air was how we fit for lie angle. Toe up at address was to allow a little toe droop during the swing. We now use a little more sophisticated technology for lie angle fitting....

That is exactly what he said - toe up at address would result in a level club at impact due to the toe droop. So you validated what he said. Iron shots certainly felt more flush after making that small adjustment.
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

#42 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

• Members

• 2,147 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

That is exactly what he said - toe up at address would result in a level club at impact due to the toe droop. So you validated what he said. Iron shots certainly felt more flush after making that small adjustment.

What I can say is that in a perfect world, A slight toe up at address position will come back to a perfect sole contact position at impact. In the REAL world, this is not always the case. People have a tendency to manipulate their swings, and I have seen some doozies. Always check for flight first, then tape marks. Now, If your instructor has some other reason for having you drop your hands, then everything I have said is moot.

@nicsherman

#43 clonger

clonger

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Handicap:6

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

My question has to do with a shaft for my driver. I have a Nike Victory Red tour driver with a project x 6.0 shaft. I have used launch moniters and other tools but not sure what shaft would fit. I have a swing speed between 110 and 120mph. Launch angle around 17 degrees and ball spin around 3200rpms. My problem is that i tend to balloon the ball. I was wondering if there is a better shaft for me, to help me hit the ball lower and have a more penatrating ball flight.

Thanks for any help

#44 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

• Members

• 2,147 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

My question has to do with a shaft for my driver. I have a Nike Victory Red tour driver with a project x 6.0 shaft. I have used launch moniters and other tools but not sure what shaft would fit. I have a swing speed between 110 and 120mph. Launch angle around 17 degrees and ball spin around 3200rpms. My problem is that i tend to balloon the ball. I was wondering if there is a better shaft for me, to help me hit the ball lower and have a more penatrating ball flight.

Thanks for any help

Hi, and welcome. There has to be a better fit for you, as these LM #'s are no good. Too high LA, and too much spin. As you probably already know, a lot of shaft fitting has to do with tempo, desired ballflight, player tendencies, and other factors. There is no was that I can make a recommendation for you based on such limited info. A lower spinning and stiffer shaft might do the trick.....

@nicsherman

#45 clonger

clonger

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Handicap:6

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

Yes i know the numbers are not good. The problem I have is where I live. In a small town in central pennsylvania. Not to many places around that have enough equipment and different shafts for me to try and use. Or I dont know of any. Normally with my irons i play a medium to high flight draw, but can keep the ball low if I have to. Most of the time I leave the driver in the bag due to the ballooning and a chance of losing it right. I was at Dicks the other day and they didnt have any shaft in stock to help, even the manager of the golf section let me hit his driver which had an x stiff shaft, i still had high launch angle and spin. If anybody knows of a place around that i could go that would be great. I would have no problem driving somewhere as long as it was within 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      23 Apr
    GolfSpy WD

Sprained my right ankle on Saturday. Was told 2-3 weeks to recover, but I can walk as long as there's no pain, meaning I can still play golf with stack and tilt!

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors