silver & black

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMassillon Ohio
  • Handicap:??

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I am currently using a Rife Aussie putter at 34". I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. When I'm comfortable with my set up, I'm holding the putter at the bottom of the grip, almost to the shaft.

I think I'd like to cut it down to 32". My question is: can I do that without needing to add the weight I cut off, back? Also, if I just get it re-shafted with a shorter shaft, will the weight be right?

#77 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,142 posts
  • LocationOregon. #GoDucks
  • Handicap:9.5

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hi there. Shortening a putter, or any club for that matter, will require you to add weight to the head to retain the same swing weight. How much weight is something that I would have to ask the repair shop guru. ( I should see him in a few days). Hope this helps.

What I tote around the golf course..

Driver -  :taylormade-small: R9 SuperDeep TP 9* Fubuki 63s 45" Set to N

Fairway -  :adams-small:  Tour Issue 40/60 Aldila Pink NV 75x 42.5"

Hybrid -  :adams-small: 18* DHy AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff
Hybrid -  :cleveland-small:  22* Hibore AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff

Irons -  :adams-small: CB1 Pro Black 5-PW Project X Flighted 6.0 Std length, 1* flat
Wedges - C.Carnahan Forged 50*, 54*, 58* TTDG Stiff, all bent 1* flat
Putter -  :ping-small: Scottsdale Anser Nickel Pink Iomic Grip 33" Bent 4* up

All clubs gripped with Lamkin uTX standard Size Grips.

@nicsherman

#78 jmiller065

jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Here is a link to the Rifle Q&A where they give the weight and loft of the Aussie putter >> http://www.rifeputters.com/faq/

Weight ~ 335g
Loft 1.5*

Yes swing weight will change extending or cutting down the shaft.

~ Subtracting 1/2” in length decreases 3 swingweight points.
~ 2 grams is approximately 1 swingweight point in the head end of the club.
~ 5 grams is approximately 1 swingweight point in the grip end of the club.

So reducing it by 2" to keep the same swing weight you would have this roughly:
~ 12 points less then originally.
~ assuming no component changes then you need to add 24 grams of weight to the head to keep the same swing weight.

To really be able to do this properly you need to pull the shaft clean the hosel from epoxy and have the component weights of each piece of the club. If the head starts at 335g then adding 25g would put it up to 360g.

If I recall correctly Scotty Cameron Newport 2 follow the following scheme:
~330g @ 35", ~ 340g @ 34", ~350g @ 33" so it would be ~360g @ 32"

My Equipment
:adams-small:  Speedline Fast 12 LS 9.3* @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:wilson_staff_small:  FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.0* - 62.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:cameron-small:  Newport 2 (Carbon) -> 33", 69* lie, 4* loft, D3 w/ Lamkin Crossline Paddle Standard
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap

Favorite Quotes

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#79 silver & black

silver & black

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMassillon Ohio
  • Handicap:??

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Is this a job I can do myself, or is it best left to a profesional? If I can do it myself, where is the weight added on the putter head, and what kind of glue do I use to put the head back on?

#80 jmiller065

jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well that depends on if you want the swing weight permanently put into the head or temporary put onto the head.

I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that weighed in at 332g, my builder put in 8g of tip weight bringing it up to 340g roughly, then I added 5 rubber tungsten weights to the cavity (3 across the back where Titleist is stamped and 2 on the bottom one on each side of the line in the bottom cavity) to add another 10g of weight to the head. In the end I added 18g of weight to the head to bring it up to 350g, anymore then that it would take more then tip weights and rubber tungsten weights as I'm almost out of room on the head to put weight.

I would probably recommend letting a professional figure out how to get the swing weight you are after espesually with the amount of weight you roughly need to add.

My Equipment
:adams-small:  Speedline Fast 12 LS 9.3* @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:wilson_staff_small:  FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.0* - 62.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:cameron-small:  Newport 2 (Carbon) -> 33", 69* lie, 4* loft, D3 w/ Lamkin Crossline Paddle Standard
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap

Favorite Quotes

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#81 Lefty

Lefty

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
  • Handicap:7.2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Have you tried talking to a fitter, to maybe get you in a driver shaft that will match your swing better, I talked to a titelist fitter, and he thought I would be better served with a heavier shaft, with low torque, based on my swing speed, and move from the top. It may not be your swing at all, considering that you hit your other clubs straight, it doesn't seem that your swing would be the issue. Just something I was thinking about as I read the thread.
Lefties are always in their Right Mind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Our Sponsors