Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3D Golf Course Model

Does anybody know any easy-to-use software to model a 3D golf courses?

I tried Google SketchUp but didn't work out for me (could be my fault though)

Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know any easy-to-use software to model a 3D golf courses?

I tried Google SketchUp but didn't work out for me (could be my fault though)

Thanks!

Steven,

I'm up early just browsing old posts. I've played around with SketchUp, but not for terrain modeling. I do terrain modeling for my real job. It's for a construction company that does dirt work. We have 3d machine control that lets us build sites and entire subdivisions with the machines guided by GPS and no grade stakes to follow. I build the 3d models that guide the machines. I also take that to the next step and render the models with grass, trees, pavement, etc. for presentation purposes. However, what I use is AutoCAD Civil 3D to model and RDV which works inside C3D to create the renderings. Easy to learn? No. That's also about $10,000 worth of software! Are you wanting to try something for fun, or trying to design something for a real project? Trimble Navigation has since bought SketchUp from Google. That may end up being a more realistic way to play around with the idea. I haven't messed with it recently to know what's new. I really need to catch up with the latest. The answer to what would work the best for you depends mostly on what you're trying to accomplish.

Hey Blade,

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm aware of the costs and amount of learning involved in AutoCAD and those professional software packages.

I was actually looking for something easy like a map editor to create terrains and levels for video games.

So yeah, just something for fun to DIY in my spare time. SketchUp couldn't deliver the results that I wanted... maybe I just suck :P

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Hey Blade,

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm aware of the costs and amount of learning involved in AutoCAD and those professional software packages.

I was actually looking for something easy like a map editor to create terrains and levels for video games.

So yeah, just something for fun to DIY in my spare time. SketchUp couldn't deliver the results that I wanted... maybe I just suck :P

Steven, I checked out SketchUp for the first time in a long time. You can do it in there. Here's the link to download the latest. http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/index.html

You need to go in the menu bar to Window/Preferences/Extensions and toggle on Sandbox Tools. That gives you what you need to create a TIN. There are different ways to do it. You can start from scratch using your imagination. Or there are ways to import a TIN or contours to create one from if you have data to start with. SketchUp has to be the most simple software to learn. I'm glad this is available now. I'll probably use it more myself. I knew Trimble buying it would be a good thing for me. This may have been available for a while now, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the suggestion, Blade.

I'll have to take a look at SketchUp again!

Sorry for the n00b question, but what is a TIN? I tried googling, but didn't find anything related to this.

Thanks for the suggestion, Blade.

I'll have to take a look at SketchUp again!

Sorry for the n00b question, but what is a TIN? I tried googling, but didn't find anything related to this.

Oh sorry. It stands for triangulated irregular network. A 3d terrain model uses triangle faces edge to edge to create a surface. It's a way of connecting the dots between 3d points basically. The sketchup help will give you a visual to know what it looks like. Feel free to ask me questions about it.

Oh sorry. It stands for triangulated irregular network. A 3d terrain model uses triangle faces edge to edge to create a surface. It's a way of connecting the dots between 3d points basically. The sketchup help will give you a visual to know what it looks like. Feel free to ask me questions about it.

Thanks Blade.

I'll get it tomorrow and star fooling around with it :P We'll see what the outcome is :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a buddy that uses it to make his son's course maps for his tournaments (google sketch-up). He did a post on another forum for a walk through, I'll see if I can find it and post it up here. His are really detailed.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've got a buddy that uses it to make his son's course maps for his tournaments (google sketch-up). He did a post on another forum for a walk through, I'll see if I can find it and post it up here. His are really detailed.

That would be cool. I'd like to see that myself.

That would be awesome.

Any luck with this, RB7?

Archived