Our Sponsors

Photo

DIY GOLF – How To Torch Finish Your OWN Wedges!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 shaneplaysgolf

shaneplaysgolf

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Handicap:2.2

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

STEP 2: Next, you will need to soak the club head using the 1 Liter Coke bottle for about an hour. This will strip any existing finish on the head. Get a bowl that is big enough to allow the head to fit while being fully submerged. Making sure the entire club is submergered will give you a more consistent torching.

The Coke strips the finish, I believe.

The Coke doesn't strip the Chrome finish as far as I can tell. If it did, I believe NOBODY would want to drink Coke anymore, haha.

#17 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

Coke nor any other household chemical will not strip the chrome. You could try to etch the chrome with muratic acid (which is pretty much the same thing as hydrochloric acid) in your home, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is very corrosive and will eat your skin if it comes into contact with it. Another bad thing about it is that you have to have a hazmat license to dispose of it and you have to find a place that will take it. Ever heard of Erin Brockovich? The chemical byproduct when using muratic acid to etch chrome is what she became famous for (hexavalent chromium). It's much easier to take it to a chrome plater and have them strip it. If they can apply chrome and rechrome parts, they can strip it. They have to be able to. They'll charge you about $10 a head. But, also be advised that you will lose weight, thus altering the club's swingweight.

Stainless and raw carbon are the only materials that can readily be torched. The carbon will slightly harden as well, so your clubs will go from feeling buttery to a little clicky upon torching them. Just a little information for those that are feel players and like their clubs to feel a certain way. You will alter the feel of carbon clubs by torching them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG w/ Graphite Designs Tour AD DI 6X
Strong 3 wood: Nike SasQuatch 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: 4/21 TaylorMade Rescue11 set to neutral w/ Talamonti H100 X tipped to spec
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Lined and Filled CS at 34.25" 

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#18 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

As far as the corrosive properties of Coke are concerned, take a steak and submerge it in Coke overnight (it's a science experiment for the kids even, as we did it at school). It'll be gone or nearly gone the next morning. It'll be a good way to try to get the kids to drink less Coke and more nutritious stuff as well. As for what it does to your stomach, your stomach is more acidic than the Coke is, so it does not eat the lining of your stomach. The natural acids in there protect against that, which is also how you're able to digest food.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG w/ Graphite Designs Tour AD DI 6X
4 Hybrid: 4/21 TaylorMade Rescue11 set to neutral w/ Talamonti H100 X tipped to spec

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#19 Moody

Moody

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Handicap:18

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

Definitely try this with an old club first. I messed up two clubs before getting one to look the way I wanted.

#20 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

Moody, you can strip them down and start over, that's the beauty of torching. Just submerge them in CLR for 5-10 minutes and they'll be back to the standard finish.

In The Bag

#21 hendricks97

hendricks97

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

I took the putter head from the powder coating post, and placed in the oven at 500 degrees for about an hour. I didnt see any change in the finish. Should I have left it in longer? Or does that mean its not raw?
Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

#22 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

I took the putter head from the powder coating post, and placed in the oven at 500 degrees for about an hour. I didnt see any change in the finish. Should I have left it in longer? Or does that mean its not raw?

Doesn't necessarily have to be raw. Just if it's carbon steel. If it's stainless, you simply have to heat the crap out of it. What putter is it? The Red X or something different? It'd be helpful to know what putter you're trying to change the color on.

In The Bag

#23 Justin66

Justin66

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 884 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:02 AM

Sounds to me like you're going to have to strip the powder coating off, because it's not in a raw state with it on. With it off, you should then be able to see some change in the finish.

#24 hendricks97

hendricks97

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

I already stripped the powder coat off before I stuck it in. The putter head is a Maltby 304 Model 03. Its made of 304 stainless steel.

I sold that Red X a few months ago
Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

#25 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Stainless requires nothing except paintfill removal. It also usually needs higher heat. Break out the torch and heat it evenly and it'll change. Should take 10-30 minutes depending on the color you're going for.

In The Bag

#26 GolfSpy Tim

GolfSpy Tim

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationFolsom, CA
  • Handicap:14

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

does anyone have photos of having done this themselves?
Follow me on twitter: @GolfSpy_Tim

Or go check out my photography TimHalberg.com

#27 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

does anyone have photos of having done this themselves?

Posted Image
Posted Image

In The Bag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors