AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Miyazaki C Kua 39 Shaft Review

C Kua (4).JPG

Introduction

Lighter = Longer. That’s what many of the major OEMs are selling these days, and many golfers are buying in. Never one to stop looking for more distance, I went ahead and put the model-thin Miyazaki C Kua 39 (47 grams) shaft through the paces against my beefy 70 gram gamer. Was lighter longer? Did I leave my long-time favorite for the skinny new girl? Read on, spies…

***If you missed my review of the Miyazaki Kusala White, please stop what you’re doing and click this LINK. In the interest of not being repetitive, I don’t want to repeat all the information that is there, but you will definitely want to learn about Miyazaki’s International Flex Code before checking out this review.

C Kua (2).JPG

Notes, Feel, and Miscellaneous

I’ll start with the looks, as I did with the Kusala. The C Kua line is definitely not as eye-catching as the Kusala, but it’s not shabby either. The golden color of the shaft is nice, and the graphics are somewhat understated. I think the “Wow” Factor is lost because this is the stock offering in the Cleveland Launcher, but, on its own merits, it’s a cool-looking shaft.

The International Flex Code of the C Kua is 6424. For those that skipped out on the Kusala White review, this means that the butt section is the stiffest (6), the mid-butt and tip are moderately stiff (4) and the shaft is softest in the mid-tip (2).

As for feel, it shares some characteristics with the Kusala White. In both shafts, there’s a pronounced kick, but no feeling of twisting or looseness. What is really cool is that when you hit the shafts in succession, you can very clearly feel the difference in where the shafts flex (the Kusala is softest in the tip, the C Kua is softest in the mid-tip). As I mentioned in the Kusala White review, Miyazaki’s International Flex Code and their wealth of bend profiles really allow a golfer to choose the exact feel and performance that they want.

Two other quick notes on feel: I was amazed at the fact that Miyazaki was able to deliver such a stable, solid feel in a super-lightweight shaft. I was similarly amazed (and pleased) to find that I only lost 2 swingweight points when I swapped my 70gram shaft for the C Kua.

C Kua (1).JPG

Performance

As usual, I’ve broken the Performance section into two pieces: Data (launch monitor testing) and Real World (range and course). For the launch monitor testing, I put the C Kua up against my Diamana Kaili (70g), both in an R9 460 9.5 head. I hit 10 “good” shots with each shaft, changing frequently so that fatigue was not an issue, nor did I get grooved with one shaft to the detriment of fairness. I went through this process twice and averaged the two sets of data.

For anyone interested in the swing that produces these numbers: my clubhead speed is usually between 100MPH and 110MPH, my biggest problem is getting quick/out of sync from the top, and my miss tends to be a block right.

Final note: In a way, it’s unfair to test anything against my Kaili because it’s a shaft that I’m very familiar and comfortable with, but I think it’s good to have a reference point of some kind and the Kaili is a shaft many people are familiar with. That said, here are the numbers:

C Kua (3).JPG

DATA

*Each metric shows low, average, and high. For dispersion and sidespin, L represents left or hook spin, R represents right or slice spin.

C Kua: Ball speed: 157-162-167 Distance: 265-285-294 Launch Angle: 8.6-12.0-15.1

Backspin: 1800-2500-3800 Sidespin: 250L-320R-700R Dispersion: 3R-20R-43R

Kaili: Ball speed: 155-161-167 Distance: 256-275-295 Launch Angle: 7.9-11.3-15

Backspin: 1130-2300-3100 Sidespin: 200L-300R-600R Dispersion: 8R-15R-30R

ANALYSIS

The standout number here is obvious: an average of 10 yards longer than my current shaft! Ballspeed numbers were almost identical, but the launch and spin were both just a little higher and that translated to more distance, on average. With the C Kua I actually hit my long distance twice. On the other hand, the dispersion was worse, which I expected. I have been told by numerous fitters that I need more weight to keep my transition from getting too quick. My bad (deleted) shots with the C Kua were truly putrid.

REAL WORLD RESULTS

This is one situation where I would say that the real world results actually varied somewhat substantially from the launch monitor numbers. On the launch monitor, I felt like I was very conscious of trying to stay in tempo and not over-swing. On the range, I was a bit more natural and the results were not as good. Generally, the lighter weight shaft resulted in a steeper angle of attack, a spinny ballflight, and big blocks to the right. When I did stay in tempo, the results were excellent, but I’m not sure this is a shaft I would take to the course. For me, controlling my misses is much more important than maximizing my best swings, at least with the driver.

Player Profile

In my opinion, the lightweight C Kua line is geared towards players who either have a smooth tempo or want distance, distance, and more distance, consequences be damned. The nice thing is that Miyazaki does offer the lightweight option in a number of different bend profiles, so you can have lightweight without giving up stability, low ballflight, etc.

C Kua Code.JPG

Value

The Miyazaki C Kua line retails for $250. As I said about the Kusala, for those willing to pay the price, Miyazaki offers great performance and a wide range of fitting options and should definitely be on the short list for anyone looking to upgrade their shafts.

Conclusion

So did a lighter shaft mean longer drives? YES! Is it in the bag for me? No. As I said earlier, I need to minimize the damage that the driver does to my scorecard, not squeeze every last yard out, and the lightweight shaft gives me too many opportunities to get quick. For players without that problem, or those that simply haven’t tried a super lightweight shaft, I’d recommend giving one a shot: all you have to lose is yards to the green.

VISIT WEBSITE: http://www.miyazakigolfshafts.com/

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: http://twitter.com/#.../Miyazakishafts

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.../Miyazakishafts

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors