RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,869 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

TAYLORMADE - R11 TP vs R11s vs RBZ

I just had the chance to hit, side by side, the R11s RBZ and my R11 TP. I hit them all with my Talamonti PD70 x so that there would be an established baseline and comparison of apples versus apples. The numbers were taken with a Vector Pro.

I warned up and hit my R11 TP 9* first to establish a baseline. I warmed up and took a 5 minute break. I then hit 15 balls each with 60 seconds between balls (timed everything to be as subjective as possible), and then a 5 minute break between clubs each time. I then went in reverse order after I was striking the ball well and after my warm-up, on the launch monitor, my numbers averages were as follows:

R11 TP 9 deg with Talamonti PD70 x at 44 7/8" GP NDMC midsize 16 toe, 4 heel asp set to N FCT set to std

SS: 115.2
Launch angle: 12.1
Back spin: 3255
Carry: 286.2 yards
Ball speed: 170.7
Smash factor: 1.482

Next up was the R11s 9 deg same shaft as above set to std, 16 toe, 4 heel (my weights so they're identical)
SS 115.1
Launch Angle 13.9
Back spin 3720
Carry 278.6
Ball speed 169.7
Smash factor: 1.475

RBZ Tour 9.5 FCT set to neutral same shaft
Swingspeed 115.3
Launch angle 11.8
Back spin 3455
Carry 289.4
Ball speed 171.6
Smash Factor 1.489

The flight with all 3 was a 5-7 yard draw. I wanted to test them as subjectively as possible is why I used the same shaft at the same setting at the same length. The lengths varied by 1/8" across the clubs, I'm assuming due to the depth of the head/bbtg measurements. Regardless, it's made my mind up as to what will be my next driver, and that's the RBZ tour. The control ball was a Srixon AD333 because of it being set up with the black line for the monitor. I'm sitting in the parking lot as I type so I don't forget anything or lose the paper I wrote everything down on, lol, cause I'm a true club ho'.

I begged to buy it and they wouldn't let me, lol. Offered him cash to lay it out back. No mas'. Oh well Feb can't get here quick enough. Oh, and R11s was quietest and the RBZ the loudest.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade Tour Issue Superfast 2.0 LCG w/ USPG Black Ops Pearl X 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade SLDR TS 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 18* (bent to 17*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Mannkrafted Widebody Rattler 34", 71* lie, 4* loft

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#2 skihippy

skihippy

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 528 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Handicap:15

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Great review Rookie Blue. This is a very subjective test and I wish all test could be done with the same shaft and shaft length. OHHH AND BELIEVE WE KNOW YOUR A CLUB HO...:) Didn't you win a reward for this???
Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S
Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ
Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black
Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali
Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper
Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner
Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner
[i]Ping
Redwood ZB
Ball Nike 20XI-X

#3 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,292 posts
  • LocationOregon. #GoDucks
  • Handicap:8.4

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

$100 per yard gained??? wow.

What I tote around the golf course..

Driver -  :taylormade-small: R9 SuperDeep TP 9* Fubuki 63s 45" Set to N

Fairway -   :taylormade-small:     SLDR - S 3HL 17*

Hybrid -  :adams-small: 18* DHy AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff
Hybrid -  :cleveland-small:  22* Hibore AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff

Irons -  :adams-small: CB1 Pro Black 5-9 Project X Flighted 6.0 Std length, 1* flat

Wedges - SCOR 46° and 50° Genius 12 in Firm, - .25 inches, st lie.

Wedges - C.Carnahan Forged  54*, 58* TTDG Stiff, bent 1* flat
Putter -  :ping-small: Scottsdale Anser Nickel Salty Grip 33" Bent 4* up

All clubs gripped with Lamkin uTX standard Size Grips.

@nicsherman

#4 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,869 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

The RBZ Tour isn't $300, if you know where to shop. They're $269.99 from the place I'll order from. Regardless, I like shiny new things, so it's not a biggie for me. I wouldn't care if I gained a yard or not, as long as I don't lose yards (like I did with the R11s).

In The Bag
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 18* (bent to 17*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#5 MmmmmmBuddy

MmmmmmBuddy

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,292 posts
  • LocationOregon. #GoDucks
  • Handicap:8.4

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

The RBZ Tour isn't $300, if you know where to shop. They're $269.99 from the place I'll order from. Regardless, I like shiny new things, so it's not a biggie for me. I wouldn't care if I gained a yard or not, as long as I don't lose yards (like I did with the R11s).

Sounds good. Nothing wrong with shiny new things. I have a garage full of them. :D

What I tote around the golf course..

Driver -  :taylormade-small: R9 SuperDeep TP 9* Fubuki 63s 45" Set to N

Fairway -   :taylormade-small:     SLDR - S 3HL 17*

Hybrid -  :adams-small: 18* DHy AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff
Hybrid -  :cleveland-small:  22* Hibore AeroTech SteelFiber 75i Stiff

Irons -  :adams-small: CB1 Pro Black 5-9 Project X Flighted 6.0 Std length, 1* flat

Wedges - SCOR 46° and 50° Genius 12 in Firm, - .25 inches, st lie.

Wedges - C.Carnahan Forged  54*, 58* TTDG Stiff, bent 1* flat
Putter -  :ping-small: Scottsdale Anser Nickel Salty Grip 33" Bent 4* up

All clubs gripped with Lamkin uTX standard Size Grips.

@nicsherman

#6 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,210 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

That was a great review, full of useful information. If it were a GD Hot List review the only information we would have been given is the RBZ had the best feel and sound. It would have had the gold metal simply because it was Taylormade.

#7 MBrown15

MBrown15

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Handicap:0

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the good work. I am happy with my R11 set up and am not sure a driver move is for me.

I do think the RBZ hybrid offers interesting choices. If it is as hot as the articles say, I may be able to use the 16* as my log fairway club and add a 24* - to do this I would remove my 3 wd R11 TP. Need to hit it first.

Also - I think your intent was to make the test as objective as possible (sorry to correct your use of the word). It looks like you were trying to make the only variable the club head, and let the numbers speak for themselves.

In any event thanks for a very imformative and useful post.

MWB
My Bag:

Driver: TM R11 TP 9*
3 Wood: TM Rll TP 14*
Hybrid TM Rescue 16*
Irons Mizuno MP 59 4-PW
Wedges Mizuno MP R12 50* 56* 60*
Putter Nike Method 1
Ball Srixon ZStar XV Tour Yellow

#8 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,507 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the good work. I am happy with my R11 set up and am not sure a driver move is for me.

I do think the RBZ hybrid offers interesting choices. If it is as hot as the articles say, I may be able to use the 16* as my log fairway club and add a 24* - to do this I would remove my 3 wd R11 TP. Need to hit it first.

Also - I think your intent was to make the test as objective as possible (sorry to correct your use of the word). It looks like you were trying to make the only variable the club head, and let the numbers speak for themselves.

In any event thanks for a very imformative and useful post.

MWB

Mike

Depending on one's perspective, I was either fortunate or unfortunate enough to hit most of the new TM lineup this week. We ran a bit short on time, so I didn't spend much time with the irons or wedges, and sadly, didn't get one swing in with the RBZ driver, but...

I did hit the R11S, RBZ Hybrid, and spent an exhaustive amount of time with the RBZ fairway.

I probably only got about a dozen swings in with the 19 degree hybrid, and I don't have any Trackman data for it, but... visually, the trajectory (when the club is reasonably well fit) is perfect, and it certainly "looks" long. The ball definitely rockets off the face. Whether one likes the name or thinks it's utterly stupid; RocketBallz is surprisingly appropriate.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#9 JimD

JimD

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Handicap:14

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

TAYLORMADE - R11 TP vs R11s vs RBZ

I just had the chance to hit, side by side, the R11s RBZ and my R11 TP. I hit them all with my Talamonti PD70 x so that there would be an established baseline and comparison of apples versus apples. The numbers were taken with a Vector Pro.

I warned up and hit my R11 TP 9* first to establish a baseline. I warmed up and took a 5 minute break. I then hit 15 balls each with 60 seconds between balls (timed everything to be as subjective as possible), and then a 5 minute break between clubs each time. I then went in reverse order after I was striking the ball well and after my warm-up, on the launch monitor, my numbers averages were as follows:

R11 TP 9 deg with Talamonti PD70 x at 44 7/8" GP NDMC midsize 16 toe, 4 heel asp set to N FCT set to std

SS: 115.2
Launch angle: 12.1
Back spin: 3255
Carry: 286.2 yards
Ball speed: 170.7
Smash factor: 1.482

Next up was the R11s 9 deg same shaft as above set to std, 16 toe, 4 heel (my weights so they're identical)
SS 115.1
Launch Angle 13.9
Back spin 3720
Carry 278.6
Ball speed 169.7
Smash factor: 1.475

RBZ Tour 9.5 FCT set to neutral same shaft
Swingspeed 115.3
Launch angle 11.8
Back spin 3455
Carry 289.4
Ball speed 171.6
Smash Factor 1.489

The flight with all 3 was a 5-7 yard draw. I wanted to test them as subjectively as possible is why I used the same shaft at the same setting at the same length. The lengths varied by 1/8" across the clubs, I'm assuming due to the depth of the head/bbtg measurements. Regardless, it's made my mind up as to what will be my next driver, and that's the RBZ tour. The control ball was a Srixon AD333 because of it being set up with the black line for the monitor. I'm sitting in the parking lot as I type so I don't forget anything or lose the paper I wrote everything down on, lol, cause I'm a true club ho'.

I begged to buy it and they wouldn't let me, lol. Offered him cash to lay it out back. No mas'. Oh well Feb can't get here quick enough. Oh, and R11s was quietest and the RBZ the loudest.

I'm pretty sure you meant to say "objective", not subjective.

#10 tiger168

tiger168

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences, RookieBlue7, I can feel the excitement in your writing.

I was just wondering whether there can be adjustment to the R11/R11S that could match closer to the RBZ spec, such as lower the launch angle and reduce spin rate as I thought maybe those are the factors for you to loose a full 11 yards.

Another question is what driver are you using now to prompt you to look for a new driver?

Again, thanks for sharing, RookieBlue7!! Maybe we should call you RocketRookieBlue7 from Feb and on!!!

tiger168

#11 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,869 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure you meant to say "objective", not subjective.

Nice first post, DB... Pretty sure I was writing this in the parking lot on a phone, and was in a hurry. I didn't know that proofreading was a requirement of this site. Thank you for trying to be management.

May I suggest a grammar forum, since you like attempting to try and analyze everything someone writes.

For those of you out there that are golf fans, and are interested in golf instead of a grammar lesson, I've got one more club I'm testing that will be here tomorrow. I bought it based on the fact that I've been told the van is building them 3:1 over any other driver in the TMag line-up. That is a T-stamp TMag Superfast 2.0 version 2 with an Aldila Phenom.

In The Bag

#12 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,869 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences, RookieBlue7, I can feel the excitement in your writing.

I was just wondering whether there can be adjustment to the R11/R11S that could match closer to the RBZ spec, such as lower the launch angle and reduce spin rate as I thought maybe those are the factors for you to loose a full 11 yards.

Another question is what driver are you using now to prompt you to look for a new driver?

Again, thanks for sharing, RookieBlue7!! Maybe we should call you RocketRookieBlue7 from Feb and on!!!

tiger168

My current driver is the R11 TP, which I took in myself for the baseline. See the post directly above this one and you'll see I have another driver on the way to compare to the RBZ as well.

Also, my major excitement is over the RBZ Tour fairway. That's supposed to be the showstopper of the new line-up. A friend has already hit it and said the stock shaft is high launching and spinning. I have a friend going to the PGA show and he knows one of the TM reps. He's going to try to get them to build him one, and being as he and I have the same tastes in clubs and such, I'm excited for it to be over because I'm sure he'll let me hit the club when he gets back.

In The Bag

#13 fsav

fsav

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationPhila. PA
  • Handicap:2.8

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Good stuff I am wondering if you could help me out with the following:

I am not to savy with all the apecs fo the clubs so anything will do.

What is? GP NDMC midsize 16 toe, 4 hee

#14 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 3,869 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound midsize grip is GPNDMC

16 toe 4 heel is weights and their locations. 16 grams in the toe, 4 grams in the heel. For optimization

In The Bag

#15 Blownfuse

Blownfuse

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa
  • Handicap:7

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

Nice review RB. When you say the RBZ was loud could you expand on how it sounds....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors