TESTERS WANTED! ×

Manufacturer Merry go round

Stuart81

I will agree with Rookie Blue on his statement. A friend of mine putts with range balls really to irritate another playing partner of mine. He made a statement one day "If Tiger started putting with a range ball you could not keep enough of them on the range people would be stealing them" I have also seen a lot of people here buying those Nike blades because "Tiger plays them" and they will buy any Nike ball for the same reasons even though it may be a Nike Mojo or some other cheaper ball in their product line.

Now my next statement I do not want to come out as racist in any way. In this tourist area I see a lot of different folks from all over the US and other countries. I notice a lot of younger and middle aged African/Americans to tend to go Nike all the way (bags,clubs,shoes and clothes) I guess on the scheme of things that Tiger got some folks intersted in golf that if not for him would not have had any interest in the game. That has to be a good thing. Whome ever at Nike that thought to sign him was one smart cookie. Though not a Tiger fan I will conclude that he has done a lot of positive things for Nike and the game of golf in general.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I get the feeling that Earl Woods was a better promoter than anyone ever recognized publicly.

When I think back on it, how many budding golfers get TV exposure with Bob Hope at the age of about 6 in a putting contest ? Mickelson and Payne Stuart came from the same golf intensive early growth but only caught the public eye when they turned pro from a great amateur career. I think the standard was to look at them when they turned pro and do some frantic light research on their background. Tiger was exposed from infancy and his promotion as the coming golf storm was such that the amateurs were given TV broadcast time when he went for his third championship.

When you look at Tiger's early public image, you see a son that just about every Father want's to have raised. I myself would have cringed at the idea of being raised in such a controlled fashion, but as a Father I would have been proud of such a product. It's the same image that was sold to the world and powered Golf to the front of the sports pages, and I'm thinking it was created by Earl Woods.

Shambles

I think the game of golf and the current Pro's owe heck of a lot to Tiger for without him we would not see the vast amount of sponsorship paid into the game which in one way or another filters down to our level of golf

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Phil Mickelson showed why he still gets paid the big bucks by Callaway, and is still their number 1 guy. When he won at Pebble Beach he did not hesitate to claim victory for the Callaway HEX Black Ball. He was not the only pro playing that ball that day but he said, the Callaway HEX seemed to cut through the wind better than the rest of the balls out there which gave him an advantage. Two points here, if it were truly just the ball why did not Callaway players fill out the top how-ever-many slots, and two Phil could have easily said that he just played better than everyone else, but he is just the type to share the spotlight.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 weeks later...

OK i think we have covered the original issue, I would love to see Tiger at another brand just to see how much brand loyalty Nike have gathered over the years but also to see how big a draw Tiger still is.

Discuss........

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

• 7 months later...

Evening Guys

Had a member in today who went for a custom fitting this week with a very respected custom fit technician, while talking about how good the Titleist 913 driver he mentioned that Rory McIlroy HAS signed with NIKE golf $150m over 5 years as at the start of this post I had heard rumblings before be interesting to get your views (again) now Rory is World No1.

Would be great for Nike golf to get hold of the next in line for the throne of best golfer

Stuart

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Rory McIlroy HAS signed with NIKE golf $150m over 5 years

Stuart

Haha, I'm setting myself up for an "I told you so" moment here, but, while I don't doubt that the figures are probably about right, I'm not buying it as fact until I hear an announcement scheduled by Rory from Beaverton, OR

Haha, I'm setting myself up for an "I told you so" moment here, but, while I don't doubt that the figures are probably about right, I'm not buying it as fact until I hear an announcement scheduled by Rory from Beaverton, OR

I'll have to see him in a tournament wearing hat ugly swoosh to believe it.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Rory has NOT signed with Nike currently. These rumors start every year, and he hasn't signed with them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Rory has NOT signed with Nike currently. These rumors start every year, and he hasn't signed with them.

You're right...these rumors have popped up annually for the last few years, but this time around there are signs that things are very different...and that includes some faint whispers inside of Nike.

Zak@WRX posted his take (5 Reasons Why Rory Could Join Nike), and it's hard to argue with much of what he wrote, particularly the piece about globalization. While Titleist is a global brand, it's not global on the same scale as Nike. In short, Nike can make Rory bigger (which ultimately translates to money in his pocket) than Titleist can.

The other reality is Titleist simply can't (and won't...especially under the FILA overlords) match the money Nike can offer. At the end of the day, these guys want to get paid, and Nike will ensure that Rory gets paid...and paid big.

We can argue about whether or not he fits the Nike model, but more than anything else, Rory leaving Titleist fits with their history.

Tiger was nearing the top of his game as a Titleist staffer, he left.

Els...at the top of his game. He left.

Mickelson...same.

Titlest does not pay big bucks for big names.

Players power Nike, Products (the ball more than anything else) power Titleist.

I just don't see Titleist paying Rory what he's worth on the open market (again...it's not how they operate), whereas Nike will be willing to overpay (think Michelle Wie) to have him.

I won't tell you it's 100%, but I'd put the odds at 80%+ that Rory is wearing the swoosh next season.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

You're right...these rumors have popped up annually for the last few years, but this time around there are signs that things are very different...and that includes some faint whispers inside of Nike.

Zak@WRX posted his take (5 Reasons Why Rory Could Join Nike), and it's hard to argue with much of what he wrote, particularly the piece about globalization. While Titleist is a global brand, it's not global on the same scale as Nike. In short, Nike can make Rory bigger (which ultimately translates to money in his pocket) than Titleist can.

The other reality is Titleist simply can't (and won't...especially under the FILA overlords) match the money Nike can offer. At the end of the day, these guys want to get paid, and Nike will ensure that Rory gets paid...and paid big.

We can argue about whether or not he fits the Nike model, but more than anything else, Rory leaving Titleist fits with their history.

Tiger was nearing the top of his game as a Titleist staffer, he left.

Els...at the top of his game. He left.

Mickelson...same.

Titlest does not pay big bucks for big names.

Players power Nike, Products (the ball more than anything else) power Titleist.

I just don't see Titleist paying Rory what he's worth on the open market (again...it's not how they operate), whereas Nike will be willing to overpay (think Michelle Wie) to have him.

I won't tell you it's 100%, but I'd put the odds at 80%+ that Rory is wearing the swoosh next season.

He may very well do just that, but there's no deal in place t the moment. And I spoke with Zak about that very article, and a few others. It was well written, as his job is to stir controversy and get people talking, but he no way implied any deal was in place. And why would someone at a fitting at a muni or a Nike rep or anyone know a thing before any press release or anything else came out? They wouldn't, half the time the public knows about their equipment releases before they do.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

He may very well do just that, but there's no deal in place t the moment. And I spoke with Zak about that very article, and a few others. It was well written, as his job is to stir controversy and get people talking, but he no way implied any deal was in place. And why would someone at a fitting at a muni or a Nike rep or anyone know a thing before any press release or anything else came out? They wouldn't, half the time the public knows about their equipment releases before they do.

I want to make sure I've very clear about my reference to Zak and WRX. I don't know what Zak does or does not know about any deal or non-deal. I was simply stating that his article, especially the part about globalization, makes for a compelling argument about why it *could* happen. As you said, our jobs are to stir the pot a bit. In no way was this meant as a "Zak said...and so it is".

As for why a seemingly small-time (or medium-time, or even big-time) fitting guy would know anything before a press release...

There are plenty of fitters who are extremely well connected. They have great relationships with not only sales reps, but some fitters inside the golf companies. IF something is in the works with Rory, you can bet he's already spent some time with Nike's fitting team (he's got to be ready to go with new gear before the ink dries). Almost everybody talks, and yeah...sometimes it's the guy at some no name (or big name) proshop whose got a buddy in the right place who gets the scoop...and the info leaks. It all starts with "don't say anything, but..."

Once again...not saying this is what happened in this particular case, but if you're asking about the plausibility...Oh hell yeah. This actually makes a ton of sense, and rumors with this type of trail turn out to be true more often than not.

The PR guys (or girls) keep secrets very well. It's their job to protect embargoes, and company secrets and whatnot. But...and I can say this from almost countless firsthand experience...if you can get around the PR managers, almost everyone is willing to say more than they're supposed to. You won't hear anything from a PR source before you're supposed to, so my reality is that when we get something juicy before the rest of the world, it NEVER comes from the PR department.

And as long as we're tossing rumors out there...my expectation is that we'll see a name you recognize land on the Cobra-PUMA roster very soon.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

OK i think we have covered the original issue, I would love to see Tiger at another brand just to see how much brand loyalty Nike have gathered over the years but also to see how big a draw Tiger still is.

Discuss........

I used to game Nike, simply because thats what Tiger played at the top of his game. I played well with that equipment, but not as well as I did with my Ping equipment. I didn't care, because if it was good enough for Tiger, it was good enough for me. It wasn't until Phil made the "he's playing with inferior equipment" comment that really got me thinking. Phil was right, it was inferior, Tiger made it look superior. I switched back to my Pings and I've never looked back. I've tried a few Nike golf products over the years, but nothing has stuck in the bag. It will be interesting to see where Nike Golf goes after Tiger.

What RP Jacobs is going to Cobra! Really!!!! Wow!!!!!! :D

What T is saying makes great sense - Every year we have a sit down meeting prior to the start of school to go over how to handle a potential crises on campus right down to who is to talk to the press and what anyone would say if approached - "I really can't comment about that Pastor Loughran speaks for the organization and he's given a statement or he will be giving a statement or talk to him", depending upon the circumstance.

We've gotten ourselves into trouble in the past because that protocol wasn't followed (prior to my arrival.) This is a small organization with about 50 employees - the leak which cost us 600K in a law suit settlement or more accurately cost our insurance company that amount came from a maintaince guy who spoke out of turn to an opposing insurance lawyer.

Can you imagine a huge operation like one of the OEM's where a leak wouldn't really hurt anyone - in fact it might help start the buzz? Where there is smoke there probably is fire - whether or not the blaze surfaces is another matter - Rory could be exploring his options and have showed up at Nike to talk and to test some equipment - lots of possibilities and something is no doubt afoot whether or not it comes to pass.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And as long as we're tossing rumors out there...my expectation is that we'll see a name you recognize land on the Cobra-PUMA roster very soon.

It's funny that you mention that, because when I was working with Tom at PatRyan Golf in Minneapolis, he said something eerily similar. I spent a few hours there and the conversation hit a myriad of topics, but at one point he mentioned that he had already seen the new Cobra lineup before any spy pics or leaks and that he was expecting them to be the next big OEM. Now that I see the spy pictures recently posted here on MGS, I can imagine why that would be... Those things look slick! Either way, my point is that being a Class A club maker like Tom, and the number of places he goes for his craft have planted him on the inside of the industry. Golf, just like every other industry is all about who you know.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I'm just curious, while it's interesting to wonder how much these players make and what changing clubs will do to their game, will anything think differently of Rory if he switches to Nike? Personally, it doesn't matter the least to me as long as the switch doesn't screw up his game. Except for the tour combo irons, I don't particularly like anything Nike, but if they were paying me $150 million to sign, I'm sure I'd quickly grow fond of anything :).

• 3 weeks later...

Seems Ryo Ish something or other is heading to Callaway from Yonex

Woodland seems to be heading to Callaway as well

Good, hopefully the Zero Iron utility will drop in price lol

In The Bag

Good, hopefully the Zero Iron utility will drop in price lol

That'd be nice but I doubt it. I imagine they're going to pull a Graphite Design with their north american golf stuff soonish. Except unlike the GD situation, I doubt they'll maintain a contractor division here.

Seems Ryo was SUPER popular with the kids. After they signed him there was a big uptick there but not anywhere else, which I imagine isn't what they expected nor wanted.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Evening guys

When I started this thread back in Feb the idea of Rory joining Nike was laughed out of town now 1 commercial shot already and $250m (ish) later I seemed to have been spot on. Now my reason for writing is not for gloating about being right as I couldn't really care that deal was done but I must say that it will not have any effect on what Rory does going forward technology is too good for Nike not to be able to produce products that will give Rory the same specs as his Titleist it may just take a few weeks to bed in.

BUT the main reason is that the source I first heard that rumour from has informed me that Tiger is in fact using a set of Bridgestone Irons & Ball at the moment and may well be heading out the exit door at Nike, he also said that he may sign with Bridgestone or use the equipment of his choice but just get a big bag sponsor again (Buick) Also on the possible move is Luke Donald or Paddy Harrington either could be heading for TaylorMade

It will be interesting over the next few months to see if their is any truth in these

Stuart

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Speaking of bag deals, earlier this year was watching European Tour. Robert Rock, with his big ole Titleist bag. Funny, everything that came out of that bag was a Callaway product!

First I'd ever seen that.

Over on the Mizuno forum someone saw Bo Van Pelt playing Mizuno irons out of his TM bag! Or is he Titleist? ;)

• SPY VIP

WOW! Whenever I see anything Yonex, golfwise, I think of Ryo. so I can only imagine about the far east market. Wow, seriously, that's gonna be weird seein him under another badge. I quess the Japanese probably don't throw around the $$ that the American OEMs do.

Oh well...

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Geez when I hear Yonex I still think of Phil

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

At this point nothing would shock me as it relates to Nike staffers. I spoke to a source inside the company who, while in the process of not confirming the names we already know about (Rors, Whatney, Stanley) also told me that what we know is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nike is gearing up to make a serious run at TaylorMade. It starts with the tour and I think you'll see something akin to a complete staff overhaul.

No surprise about Ryo. Yonex can't match Callaway on dollars, and again, they need to beef up their tour staff as well.

• SPY VIP

Is there anyone who can actually confirm Ryo Ishikawa to Callaway? The articles quoted (Japanese Yahoo) says that a contract will be signed in December.

Nobody will comment on the record, but this one is basically a done deal from what I understand.

when did Phil leave Yonex?

Fairways & Greens 4ever

90's

In The Bag

Speaking of bag deals, earlier this year was watching European Tour. Robert Rock, with his big ole Titleist bag. Funny, everything that came out of that bag was a Callaway product!

First I'd ever seen that.

Over on the Mizuno forum someone saw Bo Van Pelt playing Mizuno irons out of his TM bag! Or is he Titleist? ;)

Ryan Moore carries an Adams bag with a revolving door of brands in it. Ping recently

In The Bag

Archived