TESTERS WANTED! ×

What do you want to know about belly or long putters?

Spies:

Stephen Bocieri, of Bocieri Golf and Heavy Putter, has volunteered to field questions about belly and/or long putters. When I spoke to him at the PGA Show he told me that he has spent a lot of time thinking about various aspects of their use, and he is eager to share his thoughts. So the question is: What do you want to know?

Feel free to post any question related to this topic. Could be about grip, fitting, technique, anything!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Seems to me those long putters, belly or broomstick, don't make sense unless you are able to anchor the butt to some part of your upper body.

Shambles

We definitely will ask him about his thoughts on where to anchor the putter and why.

Anyone else?

When I build a standard putter, I keep the shaft uncut and choke down on it until I get into a comfortable position with my eyes over the ball. Then I cut it and install the grip.

With a long putter, I'm not sure this is possible since you can't put a hole in your belly and try out different lengths before you cut. How do you suggest fitting yourself to a belly putter?

When I build a standard putter, I keep the shaft uncut and choke down on it until I get into a comfortable position with my eyes over the ball. Then I cut it and install the grip.

With a long putter, I'm not sure this is possible since you can't put a hole in your belly and try out different lengths before you cut. How do you suggest fitting yourself to a belly putter?

Great question. We will add it to the list.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of questions. I'm going to leave this open for another 48 hours and then pass the questions on the Stephen.

I'll bite again then! One of the reasons I'm planning on building myself one is I am also planning to build a belly for my son and he won't play it unless I do. With that in mind, what are some good drills for belly putting for kids? Any drills he would recommend in general for adults or kids?

Taylormade make one, it' only a fitting tool but I've seen pics of it. It slides and clamps to different lengths, then they assemble you one at the length they find works best I assume.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

WD

I just woke up in the middle of the night here and thought about this problem. Well, a belly putter is typically 6 to 8 inches longer than a standard putter. Scotty Camerson came out with a adjustible shaft putter that is currently a fitting tool but they are trying to get USGA approval for. Pics seen here on MyGolfSpy.com. But since I bet you have no real desire to spend the kind of money Scotty's go for, here is my idea. Take a paper towel tube or something else that is hollow and side over the the putter handle. This will allow you to adjust it up and down to get the proper fit. Once that is done than you can measure it and get the length you need to make a belly putter for you son.

The biggest problem I see about making a belly putter for a kid is that they continue to grow. So the putter you make this year is too short next year or in some cases it may not even be a year. My Scotty Cameron has a two piece shaft. This is because the lower part is a .400 that True Temper makes only in 35". Scotty use an aluminum two piece contraption that was pinned. I have never seen anything like it but while it may have been a nifty idea, and well made, it was poorly designed because they joined two 24" shafts right in the middle. So the putter head was on one end and the hands were on the other end of this "coupling". So they in essence put weakest part of the shaft in the area that took the most stress.. When I bought the putter, I was told that it had been repin, and now had a double pin. And had just returned from Golfworks. Ten to 15 rounds of golf later these "double pins" were loose. The aluminum was not strong enough to take the stress. I do not know what they charged this guy who had it but if it was more that $0.15 it was too much.

My solution was to heat the shaft add remove this part, Then I took a section maybe 3 inches of a shaft that would fit into the two pieces roughed it up and glued it inside the two pieces of shaft. It is practically invisible and a much better design that was there originally. I bring this up because as you son grows, he will need to have his putter extended. So if you do something like this, you can do up in the end where it will normally be covered by the grip,but when he needs it extended, you cah remove the grip, melt the glue and put on alonger piece and regrip.

These are my middle of the night thoughts on this subject. My appologies but I am not going to proof read this and see if I made complete sentences or even complete thoughts. I am ready to go back to sleep.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

WD

I just woke up in the middle of the night here and thought about this problem. Well, a belly putter is typically 6 to 8 inches longer than a standard putter. Scotty Camerson came out with a adjustible shaft putter that is currently a fitting tool but they are trying to get USGA approval for. Pics seen here on MyGolfSpy.com. But since I bet you have no real desire to spend the kind of money Scotty's go for, here is my idea. Take a paper towel tube or something else that is hollow and side over the the putter handle. This will allow you to adjust it up and down to get the proper fit. Once that is done than you can measure it and get the length you need to make a belly putter for you son.

The biggest problem I see about making a belly putter for a kid is that they continue to grow. So the putter you make this year is too short next year or in some cases it may not even be a year. My Scotty Cameron has a two piece shaft. This is because the lower part is a .400 that True Temper makes only in 35". Scotty use an aluminum two piece contraption that was pinned. I have never seen anything like it but while it may have been a nifty idea, and well made, it was poorly designed because they joined two 24" shafts right in the middle. So the putter head was on one end and the hands were on the other end of this "coupling". So they in essence put weakest part of the shaft in the area that took the most stress.. When I bought the putter, I was told that it had been repin, and now had a double pin. And had just returned from Golfworks. Ten to 15 rounds of golf later these "double pins" were loose. The aluminum was not strong enough to take the stress. I do not know what they charged this guy who had it but if it was more that $0.15 it was too much.

My solution was to heat the shaft add remove this part, Then I took a section maybe 3 inches of a shaft that would fit into the two pieces roughed it up and glued it inside the two pieces of shaft. It is practically invisible and a much better design that was there originally. I bring this up because as you son grows, he will need to have his putter extended. So if you do something like this, you can do up in the end where it will normally be covered by the grip,but when he needs it extended, you cah remove the grip, melt the glue and put on alonger piece and regrip.

These are my middle of the night thoughts on this subject. My appologies but I am not going to proof read this and see if I made complete sentences or even complete thoughts. I am ready to go back to sleep.

Your response reminded me of something I saw on amazon a while ago: http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Putt-The/dp/B003TLS9HS. I'll hold off until I hear Stephen Bocieri's answer, but I may pick it up since it's nearly impossible to build a child size belly putter because no longer sized grip would fit a shaft cut down that much (pointed out to me by Jeff Summit).

Archived