11 replies to this topic

#1 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,494 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

A few of these showed up on my porch yesterday. Given how well Nike drivers have performed for me personally over the last 2+ years, it almost goes without saying that the new VR_S is near the top of my own demo list this year.

Gone is the visible compression channel technology. And while the new model is all about speed, Nike seems to be trying to accomplish that through aerodynamics and a lightweight (51 gram) Fubuki shaft. I hit it a few times last night and produced some very good carry numbers. It wasn't anything official however; I was more or less trying to work on bringing my launch angle up and my spin numbers down.

The review process should start in the next couple of days.

Attached Images

• VR_S Driver-2.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-3.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-4.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-5.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-6.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-7.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-8.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-9.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-10.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-11.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-12.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-13.jpg
  • VR_S Driver-14.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#2 skihippy

skihippy

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 528 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Handicap:15

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

They look really nice but I am not expecting it to out whats in my bag now...
Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S
Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ
Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black
Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali
Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper
Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner
Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner
[i]Ping
Redwood ZB
Ball Nike 20XI-X

#3 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

So far all I've heard is good things from other people. When I had a quick go the other day it reminded me that light weight shafts are for me. The head has really nice pop though and isn't quite as loud as previous Nike drivers.

Looking forward to the numbers and the review T.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#4 Jgolf

Jgolf

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 344 posts
  • Handicap:4.7

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I was actually a big fan of the compression channel. Gave the club a better feel imo.

Do you have any idea why they went away from it?

#5 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Moderators

• 4,229 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

I really like the look of this driver. Looking forward to the review.

#6 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

I think it was a good move to change up how they connect the club to the shaft. The connection through the sole makes the club much more polished looking than the old STR8 FIT.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#7 JBones

JBones

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,832 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Handicap:3.5

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think it was a good move to change up how they connect the club to the shaft. The connection through the sole makes the club much more polished looking than the old STR8 FIT.

I agree, that was the main thing I didn't like about the VR Str8 Fit.
Posted Image

#8 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,494 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I agree, that was the main thing I didn't like about the VR Str8 Fit.

What's really nice about the new design is how seamlessly it blends in. It looks like a traditional hosel. What is a bit different is that unlike most OEMs who will use either a degree designation (+/- 1 degree), or Face Angle designation (open, neutral, closed), Nike uses an aiming designation (left, right). For the average golfer it probably makes much more sense, but if you're used to thinking about face angle in other terms, it does take a moment to adjust your mind accordingly.
MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#9 Sorno

Sorno

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Handicap:10

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

Let me preface these comments by first saying that I haven't played much golf in the last 10 years, actually in the last 5 I had only played 18 holes, so equipment has changed a lot since my last set. I had a chance to play a full set of VR S clubs while on vacation in Scottsdale AZ.. I hadn't planned on playing golf, but what else do you do while at a golf resort right. The resort course had Nike VR S sets as the rental clubs, and did custom club fitting which I also decided to do and I ended up ordering a full set.
To make a long story short I was pleasantly surprised by how forgiving they are, and long! I expected to have lost a fair amount of distance but I really haven't, I'm sure mostly because of the advancement in the clubs. Also I really didn't hit as many bad shots as I had expected, and for not having played much recently I scored pretty good.....now if I could only putt!!
Looks like I'll be playing more golf now, we'll see if all my bad habits come back!
What I have in my bag
Driver: Nike VR_S 9.5* R Flex Fubuki K shaft
Fairway woods: Nike VR_S 3 & 5 woods R Flex Fubuki FW shafts
Hybrid: Nike VR_S #3 hybrid R Flex Fukuki HY
Irons: Nike VR_S 4-PW R Flex True Temper Dynalite 110 shafts
Wedges: Nike VR Pro Black Oxide 52* and 56*
Putter: ???? haven't decided

#10 bandwagon

bandwagon

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Handicap:8.8

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Really looking forward to this review. I think Nike has a real nice lineup of clubs this year highlighted but this and the VRS Forged irons(which I loved on the course).

#11 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Moderators

• 4,229 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Really looking forward to this review. I think Nike has a real nice lineup of clubs this year highlighted but this and the VRS Forged irons(which I loved on the course).

Same. For whatever reason Nike seems to trail other manufacturers, even Adams. I tried their Pro VR forged irons early last year and they were great. This driver is miles nicer looking than the older version.

#12 bandwagon

bandwagon

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Handicap:8.8

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Same. For whatever reason Nike seems to trail other manufacturers, even Adams. I tried their Pro VR forged irons early last year and they were great. This driver is miles nicer looking than the older version.

Personally I don't think they trail others. I've like some Nike stuff in the past just like I have other OEMs. I just think this year they have a strong line top to bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      29 Aug
    Dhuck Whooker

Spent this afternoon in a Golf----- checking out the equpiment. Can't afford to buy a bag of tees, so all we can do is dream. Used to do this in sporting goods stores when I was 12 , too. Now I'm 54. Nothing was really changed. All this great stuff and no money to buy it.

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      08 Aug
    HackHawk

Why do manufacturers put an iron equivalent on hybrids when the distances seem so much greater than irons. Surely it'd be better to just give lofts. Incidentally, perhaps irons should have degrees of loft on them instead of numbers too!

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors