jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Handicap:2

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

It really comes down to personal preference per player. It is all about how you specifically play a given wedge majority of the time. When the old groove rules were in place over spinning factored into the shaft selection as well for better players. If I were to be playing the old grooves still i would happily slap C-Tapers that matched my irons into the wedges to purposely reduce the spin.

You really just want to find a shaft that fits your playing style and is the same weight or heavier then the shafts you are playing in your irons. If you are playing DG s300 then take a look at the DG s400 (standard DG wedge shaft).

For the KBS players in the C-Taper if you want to keep the same feel the KBS has in your wedges look at the KBS Tour which is slightly more spin and a higher trajectory. KBS Spinner might also be an option, I haven't tried one to know what it's all about.

Personally I lost about 20% spin from full shots on fairways and 40% on partial shots in the rough. This could have changed since my wedges are Gen1 of C.o.C. grooves so for me the KBS C-Taper that I play in my irons wasn't going to work for wedges on partial shots wouldn't have enough bite to it. I like to use the full array of shots on every wedge depending on conditions and wind, then you need a shaft that will give you then most versatility for touch shots around the greens, partial shots, full swings and give you a good amount of spin on various types of shots. So I ended up trying the DGx100 simply because they offered the same weight as my iron shafts and more spin then the KBS C-Taper and KBS Tour.

I have tried some various things, 37.5" DG x100 (normal wedge is 37.0") so soft stepped, that is not terrible if you want to get a little more tip action out of the shaft. I have also tried 1/4" tipped DG x100. Really you should talk to a club building professional about optimizing your trajectory and spin characteristics before soft stepping, tipping, or selecting a shaft to go straight-in.

General Ideas to think about on wedge shaft selection are:
If you spend majority of your time with a 3/4 to full swing on a wedge (good example for most is their gap wedge) then put a shaft in it that matches your irons.

If you are swinging the club 1/2, 3/4 full but never use it for bunkers, pitches, and touch shots around the green then a spinner wedge shaft is not for you probably something that is the same weight as your irons shafts or heavier.

If you are using the club only for 1/2 swings or less little touch shots around the green (Lob wedge is an example) and never swing the club full or 3/4 then using a shaft that maximizes your spin numbers in those situations would be perfect.
My Equipment
KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:wilson_staff_small: FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.5* - 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:yes-small: Callie-f @ 33.25", 3.5* Loft, 69* Lie, 3/4 Shaft Offset, Pure Midsize Round Grip
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap
:srixon-small: Z-Star

Favorite Quotes
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#17 ronniemac

ronniemac

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Put Apollo Humps in mine.
Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft
taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft
superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft
Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft
Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft
Odyssey #7 Metal X putter
Bagboy revolver pro bag

#18 jmiller065

jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Handicap:2

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

I recently made a change in my wedge shafts so a little more feedback I think is called for.

I play KBS Tour X-Stiff in the 3 and 4 irons, I play KBS C-Taper X-Stiff in 5 through PW, The switch I made was into Mizuno MP T-11 Wedges. I also went from the trusty TT DG x100s into KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff shafts. I am not sure if it is the heads or the shaft, probably a combination of both but I have seen a huge increase in spin in the wedges from my old ones.

Old Wedges ~ Nike VR Pro Black Oxide (52*, 56*, 60*) w/ DG x100 shafts
New Wedges ~ Mizuno MP T-11 Black Nickle (52*, 56*, 60*) w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts

I see a lot more one hop and bite hard type shots off the new wedges from less then 30 yards in the fairway, the old had little or no check on them. I think that the new wedges played more like what I was wanting from a C-C groove over the old ones, the old ones almost acted like they were groove less on short shots from the fairway.

I was playing around with a Titleist HP2 Performance ball on a day the conditions were very soft and wet. I hit a shot at 85 yards with my new 52* low spinner shot played it to 95 yards into the wind, that ball hit hole high and came back 6 feet bellow the cup for a easy 4 footer up the hill into the cup. If i had tried that on the old wedge and hit it the same way I think it hits the collard or over the back, probably doesn't come back 5 or 6 feet on a little shot like that on a non-tour ball.

I haven't tried out a wide variety of C-C wedges but I am in love with the Mizuno MP T-11 line up right now and the KBS Tour Wedge shafts in them.
My Equipment
KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:wilson_staff_small: FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.5* - 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:yes-small: Callie-f @ 33.25", 3.5* Loft, 69* Lie, 3/4 Shaft Offset, Pure Midsize Round Grip
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap
:srixon-small: Z-Star

Favorite Quotes
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#19 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,805 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have had bunch of different wedge shafts, personally. I've played the same as my irons, spinner shafts, etc. My current favorite thing to do it go up a flex and buy an 8 iron shaft to put into a wedge. It's softstepping the shaft once (9 iron and wedge shafts are the same in standard, non-spinner, shafts). I like the added weight and stability that I feel, and it's also creating a spinner shaft due to using a softstepped shaft designed to perform in a longer club. I have spinners in my wedges for full shots and my 64 degree (which I never hit full) has a DG Tour Issue X100 8 iron shaft in it for feel and touch around the greens. I may swap my SW or LW out for an X100 8 iron shaft as well and see how it plays on full shots. It's an old trick I learned from talking to people on a few tour vans, and one Nike and Titleist used to do (and may still do) for Tiger. Ive also heard it referred to as Tiger stepping a wedge.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 430 12* (w/ toe screw) w/ Project X Handcrafted LZ16 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade SLDR TS 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 18* (bent to 17*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Mannkrafted Widebody Rattler 34", 71* lie, 4* loft

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#20 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Moderators

• 4,228 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have had bunch of different wedge shafts, personally. I've played the same as my irons, spinner shafts, etc. My current favorite thing to do it go up a flex and buy an 8 iron shaft to put into a wedge. It's softstepping the shaft once (9 iron and wedge shafts are the same in standard, non-spinner, shafts). I like the added weight and stability that I feel, and it's also creating a spinner shaft due to using a softstepped shaft designed to perform in a longer club. I have spinners in my wedges for full shots and my 64 degree (which I never hit full) has a DG Tour Issue X100 8 iron shaft in it for feel and touch around the greens. I may swap my SW or LW out for an X100 8 iron shaft as well and see how it plays on full shots. It's an old trick I learned from talking to people on a few tour vans, and one Nike and Titleist used to do (and may still do) for Tiger. Ive also heard it referred to as Tiger stepping a wedge.

Very interesting tip. Should go a long way in keep a consistent feel throughout the set too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      08 Aug
    HackHawk

Why do manufacturers put an iron equivalent on hybrids when the distances seem so much greater than irons. Surely it'd be better to just give lofts. Incidentally, perhaps irons should have degrees of loft on them instead of numbers too!

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors