TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Future of Callaway

Rounders

Great observation. I don't have access to those courses so I was just speculating. 40% seems like a large market share if that holds true in other locations.

Therein lies the problem, this was not even close to a representative sample. If it was, Callaway would be wiping the floor with everyone.

I've been gaming the Diablo Forged irons for a month or so now and can only say - WOW!!

Sweet feel and awesome results, they are staying in the bag for a long time I can assure you of that

Nice to hear you like them. What made you get them over the X22 tour and the Xforged?

if you can't see that this years crop of products is superior to prior seasons, I don't know what to say. This is by far the best lineup that the company has put out in several years. bar none.

I agree, like I said don't get me wrong I am a huge Callaway guy but there have just been some strange goings on behind the scene that I have happend to catch wind of. I am in now way discrediting Callaways gear cause I think its awesome, but time will tell I guess.

Another tid bit I heard the other day was that Perry Ellis, the company that was going to take over the apparel from Fletcher Lesiure group, is on the FLOP. Let me know if you have heard the same.

Fairways and Greens

I agree, like I said don't get me wrong I am a huge Callaway guy but there have just been some strange goings on behind the scene that I have happend to catch wind of.

Like what kinds of goings? Or is this a hush-hush thing?

• 3 months later...

I personally have never liked the feel or look of Callway clubs, but have actually been really impressed with their latest clubs, particularly their tour irons (X-22). I like that their latest clubs have less of that "bubble" look at address.

Although I've recently switched back to a traditional head driver (FT-i to a FT-9), I still live by my FT-Squareway Woods... they are my best clubs in my bag...

I don't know if it all just mental, but I feel that my "Square" clubs are easier to hit and much more forgiving...

If it wasn't for the economy the last couple of years and the original higher prices for the "Squared" clubs,

I'm sure there would have been a better response in the market

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

Lets just say there was a shuffling of the deck. From territory managers to sales reps.

That is not a shock at all since we are in a recession and part of the learning from this type of recession is how to best utilize company assets in the most efficient manner. Callaway's 10-K is telling the same story as the other major OEMs and it is not good for the industry right now. Most companies were stuck holding the bag with a lot of inventory that they were not able to move and still cannot move even at a steep discount.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

the foot soldiers for the company are a good barometer for the health of a company sometimes.

That is so fundamentally true... at least where I work LOL.

That said, I think a dunk in the bargain tank for some of these bigger OEMs would be good- they seem to think they're the "Be All, End All" in golf equipment, and have brainwashed too many into thinking that they can buy into the marketing scheme and come out the second coming of a PGA pro. It amazes me that they keeps saying "longest, straightest" every year... how much farther can you actually improve, within the constraints of the USGA/R&A's rules?

Here you go, MGS- maybe an "apples to apples" club comparison. The other golf media outlets (namely, Golf Magazine and Golf Digest) seem afraid to do anything like this... probably over a loss of ad dollars. But is a FT-iz really longer and straighter than a FT-3 (assuming length, shaft flex and loft are the same)? Everyone seems to want to regurgitate the company marketing lines, but not offer any scientific, statistical proof. MGS seems like the type of people to do something like that.

Mind you, I'm not piling on Callaway... they all do it. Just seemed easier because we're talking about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not in the business.......but I have been playing the game since 1959.

The biggest mistake I made was trading in my Callaway Fusions for a new Callaway Fusion wide sole set. I thought I would like the 3 & 4 irons, but failed to adapt to the wide sole for the rest.

The Callaway Fusions were absolutely the sweetest feeling clubs I have ever used. I got a buttery feel when i hit the ball "between the screws". From the looks of things I suspect the Fusion/FT style club is no longer a maketable item. I was a 20 Hcap (shattered wrist almost destoyed my ability to play - 4 surgeries and several years of therapy later) and after my fiasco with the wide soles, I ordered the Powerbilt Air Force One irons with the thin face filled with Nitrogen. My SS is only 87 mph so i could use any extra trampoline effect i could find. With a solid back, they look similar to the Fusions. I got a deal on them at the PGA show in January. My 21 Hcap is now 14. I am back to enjoying the game.

As for Callaway, they should have kept the Fusion line.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have never been a fan of Callaway and honestly have had no desire to put one of there clubs in my bag (not including Odyssey). That was before this year. Out of all the OEM's Callaway may be the only one that I would put 14 of there clubs in the bag. X forged/ Prototypes/ Jaws wedges / Diable tour fairway / FT Tour / Odyssey putter. Someone earlier mentioned the appeal to lower HC. I truly feel they have finally done this.

KWheels 

What's the future hold for them if Phil leaves?

Much more of a bleak outlook, I would guess. Who's on their staff: Els, Appleby, McDowell... and who else? McDowell won the US Open, but he needs to keep contending; Els won some early this year, but has been an almost nonfactor since; Appleby's a nonfactor, but unlike Els, he hasn't won in a while. Still can't think of any other staffers hile I was rattling on...

I'm going to say that if Phil leaves, Callaway folds- faster than expected. It's hard to keep the shareholders happy (which is what most big-named OEMs are about, any way) when the big draw leaves, letting the stocks come crashing down.

Much more of a bleak outlook, I would guess. Who's on their staff: Els, Appleby, McDowell... and who else? McDowell won the US Open, but he needs to keep contending; Els won some early this year, but has been an almost nonfactor since; Appleby's a nonfactor, but unlike Els, he hasn't won in a while. Still can't think of any other staffers hile I was rattling on...

I'm going to say that if Phil leaves, Callaway folds- faster than expected. It's hard to keep the shareholders happy (which is what most big-named OEMs are about, any way) when the big draw leaves, letting the stocks come crashing down.

Here is their player roster:

http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-US/TheTour/StaffPros.html

Thanks! There are more I recognized than I thought I would. Forgot all about Quiros- the dude's a bomber and looks kind of like James Bond. If he'd start winning they could build a campaign around him. If all else fails, there's always Justin Timberlake...

• 5 months later...

In the past few years TM has been kicking their butt. Besided TM, Adams and Nike have also started taking their market share. Callaway needs a great new product( FT Tour is top notch, but no better than Vr Tour or 9064) and stop rebadging the same clubs to stay competitive.

Vapor Flex 11.5* Neutral w/Diamana Blue 60

Vapor Flex 17* Neutral w/Diamana Blue 70

Vapor Flex 21* w/Diamana Neutral Blue 70

Vapor Flex 23* Neutral w/Diamana Blue 80

Vapor Pro Combo 4-6 DG Pro

Vapor Pro 7-PW DG Pro

Vr Forged 52*, 56*, 60*w/DG Spinner

Method #1

RZN-Black

Vapor Staff Bag

I don't particularly like Callway, but they have a huge following, a good reputation, and a pretty good TOUR staff. I don't think they are struggling at all. One of the reason that I don't like them so much is their lack of innovation (since the Big Bertha), but most people don't seem to care, their sales are still going strong. Not to mention they own Top Flite and Odyssey, 2 solid companies.

Also something a lot of people outside the industry dont know. Cally bought the Spalding line for the golf ball manufacturing. I would say 65% of drivng range balls are Top Flite(Callaway) brand. they also manufacture golf balls for smaller companies. Even those sales are bread and butter so to speak they do produce revenue along with their Glove and clothing sales. I see them to continue to be profitable in te golf industry in the future

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I see them to continue to be profitable in te golf industry in the future

Especially if they continue to lay off American workers and move more of their operations to Mexico

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

• 1 year later...

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!

Callaway is having a great year, methinks. The RAZR Fit is a damn good adjustable driver and the uDesign is a hit. They need to consolidate the iron lines. Only Mizuno is allowed to have that many irons out.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

If they changed their line to RXMB, RXForged, RXT (but dropped the T...) and RXF it would be a winner.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• 1 year later...

Im with you!!!

I've just changed my Callaway x forged 07's for the new 13 models.

I agree they got lost for a few years there but the new line's are looking great.

My only fear is that I can see them going Taylormade on us and spouting 20 yard gains every year! and a new product every 6 months.

Here's hoping - stay classy

What's Inside My Ping Hoofer

Driver: TMaG R9 SuperTri TP Aldila Voodoo SvS6

FW Wood: Callaway xHot 3 deep Pro Projext X 6.0

2 Iron: Callaway x Utility Proto 18 deg Project X pxi 6.0

Hybrid: TMaG Rescue 09 21 deg Motore F1

Irons: 4 - PW Callaway X Forged 13 KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titliest Vokey 52' 56'

Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo S

Grips: Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord

Ball: Titliest ProV1x

• 5 months later...