TESTERS WANTED! ×

Review - Nike VR_S Hybrid

• SPY VIP

Nike VR_S Hybrid Review

VR_S-h.jpg

A Different Kind of Review: You might notice that this review isn't quite as in-depth as our ULTIMATE Reviews. That system isn't going away. For details on why we're adding reviews like this to the forum, please see this post.

Last year we put Nike's VR Pro Hybrid through our ULTIMATE Review process. That club surprised some of our testers, and plenty of golfers with its top-tier performance. Rather than repeat the full review process with the new VR_S hybrid, we've elected to provide a smaller review here in the forum.

And Now for Some Marketing...

As you might suspect (because new models are always better than the previous years') Nike tells us that the VR_S hybrid is the longest hybrid they've ever produced; claiming it launches higher and flies farther. Almost certainly the new NexCOR face technology which Nike says "maximizes distances for the widest range of players through a new speed-expanding multi face thickness design. The NexCOR infinity design creates a bridge for ultra-thin, ultra-hot faces and unmatched ball speed for every club in the bag. Maximum COR is no longer just for drivers".

Wow...that's a lot of words when all they're really trying to say is that it goes far.

VR_S-h-2.jpg

Specs

The VR_S Hybrid is available in lofts of 18°, 21°, 24°, and 27° (what I'd call loft appropriate). In case you're not sure, that's basically a replacement for everything from a 2-iron to a 5-iron. Shaft length is reasonable (41.5" 3H, 40" 4H). The face angle is actually 1 degree open, although I can't say I noticed as much during testing. Hell...if I wasn't reading the spec sheet right now, I'd have no idea. Point is, if you like an open face, it's cool. If you don't...trust me, it's nothing to get worked up over.

Stock shaft offering is the Nike Fubuki K HY. At 74.5 grams in a stiff flex, the shaft is on the lighter end for a hybrid (it's the world we live in now), and quite frankly, it's a bit too light for my tastes.

As they have done for as long as I can remember, Nike has elected to use their proprietary implementation of the Tour Velvet. It's a bit slicker than the retail model, and though I've said it a dozen times, I'll say it a dozen more, it's quite possibly the worst stock grip in use by any OEM in the industry today. It absolutely sucks.

VR_S-h-3.jpg

How I Tested

For testing purposes I used the same protocols I'd use for hybrid (and fairway testing) under our ULTIMATE Review System. I hit a series of shots from a tee with the 3 hybrid. The goal was simply to hit the ball as long and as straight as I could (you know...how you might actually use a hybrid of the tee during a round of golf). I then determined the appropriate distance to set the target with the 4 hybrid (I settled on 215 yards), and hit another series of shots trying to get the ball as close to the pin as I possibly could. Sometimes it went well...other times, not so much.

Performance

Before we get into the meat of it, I do have one small, but important note about performance. This is the first test we've done since we received a new batch of premium (Callaway Tour iz) balls from aboutGolf. We still have more testing that needs to be done, but observationally, the new balls spin less with a driver (and presumably a hybrid), launch a bit higher, and definitely produce higher ball speeds than the older (slightly better than range quality) balls.

Teed Up: Off the tee I averaged 227.62 yards of total distance, 223.26 of which was carry. Generating a club head speed of just under 100 MPH, ball speed was measured at 124.29 MPH. At 4547 RPM, Spin numbers are a bit on the high side, which is nothing unusual for me. It's a combination of an occasional outside to in swing path, and a quick transition for which a heavier shaft is generally recommended. I'm working on it (the patch...I'm good with the transition).

Generally speaking, the distance number is a bit more than I would expect with the average hybrid, however; this is the first one I've hit with the new balls, so it's to early to say how much of the extra distance comes from the club itself.

Those of you more interested in finding fairways than hitting big drives with a hybrid will find the accuracy (14.68 yards offline in my case) more than acceptable. While I didn't exactly pipe every shot straight down the middle, very few shots got away from me, and for the most part, the ball flew reasonably straight. I'm not sure there's a ton of workability in the VR_S hybrid, however; if you're looking to mitigate mistakes, it's the best of any Nike hybrid we've hit to date.

GolfSpy T by the Numbers (1st Row - Off the Tee (21°) ), 2nd - Fairway Lie to a target set at 215 yards (24°))

vr_s hybrid.PNG

From the Fairway: I hit a few shots to determine that 215 yards was probably the ideal distance to set my target for the 4 hybrid. Outdoors I'd be hesitant to use my current hybrid for anything beyond 205 (as a general rule, I tend to hit hybrids a bit longer indoors).

On average I left myself a 1st putt of 27.67 feet. Obviously I'd like to be closer, but my general rule of thumb from that sort of distance is that if it's one the green it's good. I did hit two shots to inside of 10 feet, and 2 more just outside 15, so in the real world, there would have been some birdie chances. Of course, I also missed badly on a couple of occasions, and even removing the worst couple of shots from the pool, I'd still have had a couple of 40+ footers (which often means a wedge).

Once again spin numbers were a tad high (although I've done worse), but on well struck shots, the ball landed softly and only rolled out a few yards (which is what you want out of a hybrid). Interestingly, the extra loft offset the impact of the tee used during the test of the 3H, and I wound up with only 1/10 of degrees differences between the two. As you can see by the Horizontal Launch Angle, my average shot started roughly 3.5 degrees to the left. This is the most significant reason for my high spin numbers. My guess is that for those of you who consistently swing on plane, spin won't be an issue here.

Once again, the Nike VR_S hyrid proved to be relatively easy to hit straight (although I didn't always find my line). There aren't a ton of big hooks or slices to be found here.

VR_S-h-3.jpg

The Subjective "Stuff"

Looks: Nike describes the VR_S hybrid as having a "compact, aerodynamic design". God bless them. It may be aerodynamic, but it's certainly not compact. The Adams idea Pro A12 is compact. The Titelist 585H is compact, and last year's Nike VR Pro was compact. The VR_S...well...granted, it's not most big-headed of the hybrids I've ever hit, but quite frankly, it's big enough where I have to keep reminding myself that I tested the hybrid and not the fairway wood. Truthfully, it's probably not much bigger than most, but if you're looking for a truly compact hybrid...my opinion...this isn't it.

I also don't know what to make of the bizarre graphics on the crown (included with all the woods in the VR_S series). It's it an alignment aid? I don't know. It could almost pass for a high-opacity version of what TaylorMade did with the burner a few years back (remember the crown graphic that kinda looked like a thong?). It's similar, though more blended. Really, I think it diminishes the overall appearance of the club...same with Nike's charcoal glitter finish. Everything Nike has done there is more complicated than it should be.

VR_S-h-5.jpg

As with the last couple of Nike hybrid designs, the VR_S features and unpainted edge on the crown. While some have suggested it helps with alignment, really it's a nice little way of protecting the paint against sky marks. On the VR_S the unpainted sections is much narrower than it was on last years' VR Pro.

The sole is relatively smooth, especially if you're accustomed to clubs with compression channels and other implementations of slot technology. Every aspect of the design is sculpted and rounded. There isn't a hard edge anywhere on the club. The scoop out on the rear of the sole (where it says "total swing aerodynamics") reminds me a bit of earlier Nike Powerbow designs.

At address the stuff I don't like (crown graphics, glitter paint) are all but unnoticeable, so while I don't personally care for them, they're not really an issue either.

One final note on the appearance: for whatever reason, some clubs show loft more than others. With the 24° VR_S, to me, it just looks like there is a lot of loft showing (if that makes sense). For those who sweep their hybrids, it might actually be a plus. Most won't care (and most of those might think I'm insane), but for some, it could be a distraction.

VR_S-h-4.jpg

Sound & Feel: Let's keep this relatively simple; best feeling Nike hybrid ever! The VR Pro we reviewed last year actually felt pretty good on well struck balls, but on misses it was dull. Our testers described it as "weird". With the VR_S feel is substantially improved. While it feels good on well struck balls (most clubs do), with less than ideal contact it provides more feedback than the previous model. It's not simply that it lets you know that you missed, it let's you know where. The VR Pro wasn't so good at that aspect of things.

I'm not a big sound guy when it comes to hybrids, and quite frankly, I didn't notice anything special or out of the ordinary about the VR_S. It's pretty good, I guess. Yeah...let's go with that.

VR_S-h-6.jpg

Forgiveness: There's no magic here fellas. Hit the ball high on the face the ball is going to climb into orbit, and then fall back to earth like Russian Space Debris. While some are better than others, there simply isn't a hybrid (or anything else) out there that's going to let you bang one of the crown and not cost you distance. The VR_S is no exception.

Like other clubs we've tested recently, what the VR_S does do is allow swings that not too long ago would have resulted in balls crossing fairways, to produce tolerable misses that don't blow up the score card. While the VR_S probably isn't the single most forgiving hybrid out there, for a club that isn't as bulky as super GI hybrid designs, it's exceptionally easy not simply to hit, but to hit in the general direction of your target.

VR_S-h-7.jpg

Conclusion:

If I'm being brutally honest, the Nike VR_S isn't going to find its way into my bag this spring. Like most of you, I only carry 14 clubs...well, mostly 14, sometimes, 15, and occasionally 16, but you get the picture. For my personal tastes, the shaft is too light (hate these watered down made for variants), and the head is just a bit too big.

From a marketing perspective, Nike needed to make some changes to their hybrids, and the VR_S will almost certainly have broader market appeal. It's certainly a more forgiving hybrid than the previous incarnations, and yet Nike hasn't sacrificed so much as to make the club totally unappealing to be better players.

While I absolutely prefer the smaller, more compact head of last years' model, Nike made very few compromises when they designed the new club, and while it's not the perfect hybrid for me, I'm confident in my assertion that it's the best hybrid Nike has ever produced.

VR_S-h-8.jpg

VR_S-h-9.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Nike VR-S 3H: 123cc

RBZ 3H: 115cc

Nike VR Pro 3H: 90cc

I play a 114cc 3 hybrid right now, probably why the RBZ looked fine to me, I never looked at the VR-S, but yeah, I can see what you mean by fairway wood head size when compared to something like the VR Pro. Still, I do like how it looks. Very nice review.

I went searching for my hybrid head sizes out of curiosity, but most manufacturers I checked (Callaway, Adams, Titleist, Wilson, Cobra) don't publish this info.

I did notice nearly all hybrids have an open club face. The AMP for example has a "neutral" setting of 1* open, "open" setting of 2.5* and "closed" of -0.5".

Nice review. I have been interested in hearing about the new VR-S line of clubs. Personally, I can't stand looking at a large hybrid (I play a Nickent 4dx IW) but at the same time I have been considering replacing my 3 wood with a low lofted hybrid.

This makes me wonder if the larger hybrids would fit that bill? The Nike only going to 17* probably would not be a good substitute, but it seems like the large head (although smaller than a 3 wood) would call for a sweeping shot off the fairway providing similar distances with more control.

How do you think the 3 hybrid compared to a 5 or 7 wood from tee and deck (distance, control, etc.)?

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

• SPY VIP

Nice review. I have been interested in hearing about the new VR-S line of clubs. Personally, I can't stand looking at a large hybrid (I play a Nickent 4dx IW) but at the same time I have been considering replacing my 3 wood with a low lofted hybrid.

This makes me wonder if the larger hybrids would fit that bill? The Nike only going to 17* probably would not be a good substitute, but it seems like the large head (although smaller than a 3 wood) would call for a sweeping shot off the fairway providing similar distances with more control.

How do you think the 3 hybrid compared to a 5 or 7 wood from tee and deck (distance, control, etc.)?

I think my biggest issue with larger headed hybrids is that they look too much like fairway woods (which I don't hit very well at all).

To answer your question, over the last few seasons I moved from a 3-wood/5-wood combo to a 3+/4w combo to just a 4wood to an 18 degree hybrid. Best shot to best shot, I can't hit the hybrid quite as far (probably 10-15 yards less), but I absolutely have more control both off the tee and off the deck. In the rough, it's no contest, the hybrid wins every time.

I'm actually more confident with a smaller head (to me less surface area means less area to mishit the ball on), and the shorter shaft (likely the key ingredient in all of this) makes it easier to achieve desired results. I'm fortunate that my home course sets up well for a lack of fairway woods. 3 of the 5 par 5s are reachable with driver/hybrid or driver/iron combos. The 4th might be reachable with driver/3-wood, but it's a tight hole with OB, and not having the 3wood in the bag keeps me from being stupid. The 5th is very long, and very narrow, and in the 2 years that I've been playing it, I've never seen anyone come close to getting there in two. Not saying it can't be done (legend says it has), but for me it would possibly take the two best shots of my life (back to back no less) to get there...and I'd probably 3-putt anyway.

Conversely, the course sets up nicely for the 18 degree hybrid. I am going to try a 16 degree this year to see if I can gain a bit of distance without sacrificing too much control, but for the most part, the 18 degree gives me most of what I need, and eliminates a lot of stupidity from my game.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Nike VR-S 3H: 123cc

RBZ 3H: 115cc

Nike VR Pro 3H: 90cc

I play a 114cc 3 hybrid right now, probably why the RBZ looked fine to me, I never looked at the VR-S, but yeah, I can see what you mean by fairway wood head size when compared to something like the VR Pro. Still, I do like how it looks. Very nice review.

I went searching for my hybrid head sizes out of curiosity, but most manufacturers I checked (Callaway, Adams, Titleist, Wilson, Cobra) don't publish this info.

I did notice nearly all hybrids have an open club face. The AMP for example has a "neutral" setting of 1* open, "open" setting of 2.5* and "closed" of -0.5".

My Titleist 980F 3 and 5 woods are 125cc, no wonder when I saw the picture I was reminded of them. They are long, straight, and workable, but forgiving is not a word used in the same sentence as them unless the word not is also there. I am trying to get used to the huge by comparison head on my 909F, around 175 cc. I do not know how big these actually are but I did take a measuring cup, put some water in it and measure the difference so these are approximate numbers.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

at least the loft isnt as jacked up as other brands. a 21 deg 3 hybrid and not a 17 deg 3 hybrid

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 1 year later...

Just got one of these VRS hybrids #4...and I love it. Stupid easy to hit and loooooong. I'm going to get the #2 and see if it can't be a driver replacement on those shorter holes when I'm spraying shots (which is alot).

• 2 months later...

I have the #3 & #4 Hybrid in the VR Pro series with PX 5.5 shafts......and like them very much. Recently, I skipped the VR_S series and now have the Covert Driver, 3W & 5H......love 'em!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived