#31 mainuh

mainuh

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Locationsurfside beach, sc via redding, ct

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the description. I've never done it myself, so sorry if I am a asking too many questions. I'm done though, no more questions. :(

Jamo - never, ever apologize for asking too many questions. How the hell do you think any one of us learned anything about our hobbies, our jobs without asking questions.

Hey, what I know would fill a thimble when it comes to clubmaking, but I'll tell you what - I do maintain some good friendships with people who put up with my same "stoopid" questions, only way to learn... :)

rob
I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

#32 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

By still you mean rigid? One thing I read too about using air is that a grip with an imperfection may grow a bubble at the site of weakness. Maybe this is best left to quality grips.

Yeah, I think I mentioned that a sleeve is included for safety, you're supposed to slide it over the grip in case it explodes. I didn't see any bubbles or stretches or anything, and I don't plan on using anything but Iomic putter grips and GPTVs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#33 GolfSpy Dave

GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 5,772 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, I think I mentioned that a sleeve is included for safety, you're supposed to slide it over the grip in case it explodes. I didn't see any bubbles or stretches or anything, and I don't plan on using anything but Iomic putter grips and GPTVs.

Too bad, I had hoped for a Myth Busters type episode from the shop.
Wife would love that. B)
Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

#34 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

Too bad, I had hoped for a Myth Busters type episode from the shop.
Wife would love that. B)

I would be ok even in the event of an explosion sans sleeve because I learned from Norm: "And don't forget to always where these...(points to glasses)...safety glasses."

#35 z-man

z-man

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNeenah Wi

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Over the years I have sold about 300+ of the Star Grip Air Nozzle. The tool works great. Its also very handy at taking off grips. Great job Matt

#36 PoorGolfer

PoorGolfer

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Great thread and pictures Msaternus.
I heard that you can take off grips without having to cut through them with a blade using an air compressor. Is that true? If it is, that could be easier and you would conserve the old grips. Sometimes you just want to regrip the clubs with specific grips that you like and have to sacrifice the original grips, that are new in that case.
Posted Image

Addicted to golf since February 2008
Best Score: 89
Birdies: 12

#37 chappy

chappy

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOut There
  • Handicap:9

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

I have changed countless grips over the last few years.

The very first time, I bought regripping kit that consisted of a sray bottle of solvent, the rubber shaft clamp and some double sided grip tape. Was very easy, but what a pain in the backside changing them over after that.

I then ordered a regripper compressor tool from the Bay and ditched the double sided tape. Like others have mentioned I build up under the grip with at least 1 layer of 2 inch masking tape and add more for those who desire a thicker grip. Blowing these suckers off and on is incredibly simple.

I have never had a problem with grips slipping and the clubs can be used within a very short space of time, which is effectively the time you wait for the solvent to dry.

I can't for the life of me undertand why anyone would still use grip cement, having said that, the pros and the club I'm a member at still use grip cement? Why oh why.

Chappy

#38 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

I have changed countless grips over the last few years.

The very first time, I bought regripping kit that consisted of a sray bottle of solvent, the rubber shaft clamp and some double sided grip tape. Was very easy, but what a pain in the backside changing them over after that.

I then ordered a regripper compressor tool from the Bay and ditched the double sided tape. Like others have mentioned I build up under the grip with at least 1 layer of 2 inch masking tape and add more for those who desire a thicker grip. Blowing these suckers off and on is incredibly simple.

I have never had a problem with grips slipping and the clubs can be used within a very short space of time, which is effectively the time you wait for the solvent to dry.

I can't for the life of me undertand why anyone would still use grip cement, having said that, the pros and the club I'm a member at still use grip cement? Why oh why.

Chappy

Welcome to MGS, and thanks for sharing your experience with this. I'm definitely a convert after just 1 time, so much neater, quicker, and easier than tape and solvent.

#39 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

Great thread and pictures Msaternus.
I heard that you can take off grips without having to cut through them with a blade using an air compressor. Is that true? If it is, that could be easier and you would conserve the old grips. Sometimes you just want to regrip the clubs with specific grips that you like and have to sacrifice the original grips, that are new in that case.

I use the biggest hypodermic I can find with as thick a needle as possible to try to save old grips. I just inject some kerosene or gasoline near the butt end, about a hand width from the butt, make a bubble and work the bubble up, down and around until the gas or kerosene flows out onto the shaft. You need to get the needle against the metal and inject carefully to avoid a mess. The bigger the hypo, the easier to inject. Once the gas or kerosene gets out onto the shaft, the grip comes off easily. It's a lot easier if there are two of you or you have a bench vise. An old rag kept handy can save you from a mess too. It doesn't take long to figure out how big a bubble to make.

Grips that are moved from one club to another come out a bit bigger and will likely need a layer or two more tape or need to be stretched on the shaft to maintain a reasonably firm feel for the player.

Shambles

#40 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:41 AM

I use the biggest hypodermic I can find with as thick a needle as possible to try to save old grips. I just inject some kerosene or gasoline near the butt end, about a hand width from the butt, make a bubble and work the bubble up, down and around until the gas or kerosene flows out onto the shaft. You need to get the needle against the metal and inject carefully to avoid a mess. The bigger the hypo, the easier to inject. Once the gas or kerosene gets out onto the shaft, the grip comes off easily. It's a lot easier if there are two of you or you have a bench vise. An old rag kept handy can save you from a mess too. It doesn't take long to figure out how big a bubble to make.

Grips that are moved from one club to another come out a bit bigger and will likely need a layer or two more tape or need to be stretched on the shaft to maintain a reasonably firm feel for the player.

Shambles

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming that this method is only necessary for pulling a grip that was installed with grip tape and solvent? I would think that a blown-on grip would just blow off.

#41 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Handicap:16

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Quick update for this worried about the grip not staying put: after 4 rounds and lots of range balls with every club in the bag, there have been absolutely zero problems with these grips staying put.

You know, after watching the video that MGS posted and looking at your pics again, the process looks pretty straight forward as long as you have the right equipment. And that has been asked and answered in this thread.

I might just go ahead and skip to this method after all. I like not having to mess with the solvent. The less chemicals around, the better.
Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue
Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum
Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore
Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core
Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT
Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner
Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

#42 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

Over the years I have sold about 300+ of the Star Grip Air Nozzle. The tool works great. Its also very handy at taking off grips. Great job Matt

Thanks for the info. Another great video on the process on the Star Grip website:

Star Grip Accessories

Good info too on the compressor that you'd want to purchase for this:

2-3 horsepower unit on an 8-10 gallon tank
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

#43 jamo

jamo

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Handicap:1.5

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Can you remove a grip with an air compressor too, that is, with out cutting it off?

#44 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Can you remove a grip with an air compressor too, that is, with out cutting it off?

The video I posted shows that. And some of the previous posts discuss it also. Read the thread. :rolleyes:
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

#45 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming that this method is only necessary for pulling a grip that was installed with grip tape and solvent? I would think that a blown-on grip would just blow off.

Regripping with an air compressor makes sense only if you are doing a lot of grips regularly or are into a gadget frame of mind. I use the old technique because I hardly ever change my grips myself. I normally take them to a club pro who also uses the same technique.

I find this method, or a blower, necessary whenever a grip needs to be saved regardless the grip was glued on or just put on, tape or whatever. If a grip was installed properly you're just not going to get it off intact without one or the other technique except where you cut and tear the grip off.

Shambles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors