56 replies to this topic

#46 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

Regripping with an air compressor makes sense only if you are doing a lot of grips regularly or are into a gadget frame of mind. I use the old technique because I hardly ever change my grips myself. I normally take them to a club pro who also uses the same technique.

I think regripping with air makes a ton of sense if you already have a compressor. Cheaper than the traditional method, since all you need is the tool and it'll last for a long long time (I hope).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#47 Popeye

Popeye

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBelleair,FL
  • Handicap:15

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

OK so now I can pull into the gas station, fill up the car, and regrip my driver all at the same time !

#48 cheymike

cheymike

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyo
  • Handicap:18

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'm also a new convert to regripping with air. I got an air tool and a grip from "Pure" to try out. I was definitely impressed! It couldn't have been any easier. For those who still wonder if its secure on there, I have tried to twist or pull that grip with everything I've got. I can't even make it ACT like it wants to move. But then, shoot the air to it again and it can be twisted, moved, removed, etc, as slick as if it had tape and wet solvent under it. I've used it on the range a half dozen times, and played about a half dozen rounds with it now and it hasn't budged a bit. For those wondering.. its on a 5 iron, steel shaft.
•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

#49 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

I'll update too:

I've been playing the clubs that I regripped with air for 3 months now and there hasn't been a hint of a problem.

Side note: the PURE grips that came on my Scratch wedges are quite nice. The only problem is, the grip they make for Scratch doesn't seem to be available to buy (or at least it's not clear to me which one it is on their website).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#50 mudfish

mudfish

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,166 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

So I just tried this with my putter... I used my air compressor, a small tip I already had, lighter fluid and masking tape...

I installed a red Golf Pride Dual Durometer that I got for free last year online on the Never Compromise putter I won in the MGS contest...

Total cost to me... FREE...

This literally took 3 minutes, and I can't wait to get out and play it...

#51 cheymike

cheymike

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyo

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Yep.. that's one of the benefits. Ya don't have to let it dry!
•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

#52 indacup

indacup

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Handicap:8.3

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:52 AM

Yeah, I think I mentioned that a sleeve is included for safety, you're supposed to slide it over the grip in case it explodes. I didn't see any bubbles or stretches or anything, and I don't plan on using anything but Iomic putter grips and GPTVs.

Actually, it would be almost impossible to have a grip explode during air install...the protective tube is used when REMOVING a grip with air....because THATS when it is most likely for a grip to explode.

Remember, gripping tape is NOT meant to increase grip stability, but it assist the grip to slide on easier during install. With Air, tape is unnecessary unless for fitting purposes.

#53 zeched

zeched

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

#6: Attach your grip tool to your air compressor. Set your output regulator to 50 psi. Slip the tip of the grip onto the shaft, START PUSHING THE GRIP FORWARD, then give it the gas. I capitalized that section about pushing the grip forward because if you are not holding the grip in place, the air pressure will blow the grip right back in your face. Then your wife, who is taking pictures of this, will laugh at you.

***Not pictured: my tool came with a sleeve that you can put around the grip when you are giving it air pressure. If the grip were to explode during installation, the sleeve would prevent the grip shrapnel from hitting you in the face. It's probably a good idea to use this instead of just throwing it in a drawer.

Once it's all the way on, you can use bursts of air to change the alignment.

COMPLETE! You now have a club that is gripped and ready to be swung. No more sticky grip tape, no more gallons of solvent, no waiting for the grip to dry.

#54 zeched

zeched

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

You can also remove and 'save' your old grip using the air compressor. Use your tool to keep the old grip from exploding and blow air into the hole in the end of grip. I don't have a compressor but there is a little shop in town I take a club to when I want to 'save' the grip. He uses this technique.

#55 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,846 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Actually, it would be almost impossible to have a grip explode during air install...the protective tube is used when REMOVING a grip with air....because THATS when it is most likely for a grip to explode.

Remember, gripping tape is NOT meant to increase grip stability, but it assist the grip to slide on easier during install. With Air, tape is unnecessary unless for fitting purposes.

There are a few grips out there by certain manufacturers that I've seen that you actually do have to use a layer of masking tape on because they're not exactly .580 or .600. Those grips always slip a little unless you put one layer of tape. Don't know why, but they do. Might be a QC problem, who knows. But there are grips that need a layer of tape.

Oh, and for those of you interested in using compressed air, Pure is doing nothing new. I've been blowing grips on for years, as have a bunch of other people. Instead of going and paying out the butt for a "air grip install gun" that they sell, do yourself a favor and visit a local hardware store or harbor freight.

http://www.harborfre...zzle-42939.html

That's what you need. If you want the sleeve for protection (I never use the one I made, and I've exploded grips before. It doesn't hurt long.)get a scrap piece of 1" PVC with a cap and drill a hole in the end of it to accommodate the threads. Then take a countersinking bit and chamfer the edges just a bit. Put the blow gun nozzle's threads through the cap and tighten it. Then all you do to use the sleeve is to slip it over the grip, put the nozzle through down to the base where the cap it, and slide the PVC in place. You'll want about 10 inches of PVC so it covers the whole grip.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 430 12* (w/ toe screw) w/ Project X Handcrafted LZ16 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade SLDR TS 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 18* (bent to 17*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Mannkrafted Widebody Rattler 34", 71* lie, 4* loft

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#56 ronniemac

ronniemac

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

I am so sorry. I just posted the same thing. I have been doing this a very long time and as you know it only takes a few seconds. The difference is I use a little needle inflator to go in the grip end.
Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft
taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft
superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft
Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft
Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft
Odyssey #7 Metal X putter
Bagboy revolver pro bag

#57 ronniemac

ronniemac

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Rubber Cement was alot easier to clean up than solvent, and you could still line up the grip when it was wet.

Question. Does this compressor technique work on Winn Grips?? I wonder if they might split??

I have used this method many times on Winn Lite grips on graphite shafted drivers. The grips hold just as well on graphite or steel because both are installed over the masking tape.
Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft
taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft
superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft
Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft
Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft
Odyssey #7 Metal X putter
Bagboy revolver pro bag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      29 Aug
    Dhuck Whooker

Spent this afternoon in a Golf----- checking out the equpiment. Can't afford to buy a bag of tees, so all we can do is dream. Used to do this in sporting goods stores when I was 12 , too. Now I'm 54. Nothing was really changed. All this great stuff and no money to buy it.

Show comments (5)
  • Photo
      08 Aug
    HackHawk

Why do manufacturers put an iron equivalent on hybrids when the distances seem so much greater than irons. Surely it'd be better to just give lofts. Incidentally, perhaps irons should have degrees of loft on them instead of numbers too!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors