TESTERS WANTED! ×

SkyCaddie renewal or Phone App?

I have had a SkyCaddie SG4 for 4 years now. It is beat up but still works fine. April the contract is up and it is time fo decide what to do. I love GPS. I is part of my preshot routine, find the distance, check the wind, check the lie, and pull the club. It takes about 3 seconds and it is an awesome invention and lowers scores because it takes the guess work out of the shot.

Now, advantages of the sky caddie is it is dedicated to golf only. It never gets a call or goes to another application. I can play 36 holes and never need to worry about the battery.

Advantages. I phone apps are actually better and more current. Includes more stuff, that I may or may not like, but tracking clubs, stats etc... Never forget the cell phone, and if I do I have to go back home to get it anywat, unlike the Skycaddie.

Drawbacks are battery issues, exit app to check email, have to make a new holder.

Ok those are my thoughts, what are yours? My biggest issue is I have had this thing for four or five years. It was before I remained because I paid like almost $500 and no wife would let me spend that. :D So I got it when I had no wife.

Actually, I bought it the day I picked the woman who would later become my wife up at the airport. I knew that if I did not buy one then I would have to justfy it later on. Sky Caddie did not even get the course mapped for two more weeks but I had already heard they were going to do it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'm totally against the idea of paying a yearly subscription for a GPS gadget, since there are plenty of options out there which only require a one-time fee.

Like you mentioned, mobile phones are part of our daily lives, so I always have it with me on the course. I personally try to take as few things with me as possible, so I prefer having an all-in-one thing instead of carrying 2 or 3 devices.

I use Golfshot GPS. The paid version is GPS + stats and score tracking. The free version is only stats and score tracking.

The thing is to unlock the phone like 1 minute before your shot so the GPS satellites can lock on. When I'm not using it, it's locked and saving battery. By doing this, I am able to play 36 holes on one battery charge. Realistically, I only use it once per hole (twice on Par 5's).

I have an Android phone, so battery life is much better than the new iPhones.

I don't need a holder, cause the phone fits perfectly in my pocket.

What Shambles mentioned could be an issue. My screen at 30% brightness is enough under noon sunlight. But that depends on which phone you have.

Hope it helps!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I had the choice of buying a new phone w/ GPS or buying a range finder or a Golf GPS a while back. My old phone was working well for me but I was romanced by the free GPS software available from various net sites. I chose the phone and found the screen was useless in the bright sunlight of my country. Thus my cautionary.

I believe there are programmable Golf GPS units being sold. I saw one and was attracted because all I had to do was map out whatever course I was going to play, store it, and call it back when needed. Unfortunately the unit I saw also suffered from a screen that became useless in the bright sunlight of my country. I've since learned to rely upon the course markings and also my caddy. I also learned, from my caddy, the tricks of finding reasonably accurate distance to the green. Not nearly as difficult as it seems. You just have to believe in your judgement enough to swing confidently.

Shambles

I use a range finder and GolfShot for a score card. I've also used a wide array of GPS apps on my phone, but in the end I always like the range finder better. One drawback is the range finder won't help with a dogleg, but if you plan the course ahead, that's not really a problem. When I feel like measuring my shots, then I pull out one of the free GPS apps.

The battery is the main issue, not just whether it'll last 36 holes or not, but do you want to constantly drain the battery on your phone every day? Draining and recharging the battery daily is going to drastically shorten it's life, which is a pain on an iPhone, no so much for Androids. When my iPhone got old, I would have to be very careful with battery management. If you have a carrier like AT&T which doesn't allow you to turn off 4G, but keep 3G, then that's another battery hog to worry about. Personally, I didn't like having to micro manage this, so I simply don't use the GPS anymore.

Yeah, I like the idea of a range finder. But it does not work on doglegs nor blind shots. My course typically has three blind second shots and a bunch of blind tee shots. Not that I use it on the tee box any way. I really like it inside 120 yards. That is when I really start to care if I am 91 or 98 yards from the flag. The free phone apps are great if your course is loaded.

Another thing to consider is A. They are remodeling the course this year, so half the holes will be moved so the old gps will not be correct. B. I wii be traveling so I will play different courses. So I am leaning towards a cheap rangefinder and using the phone apps.

I use GolfSHots on an iPhone 4. Overall it's great, but it doesn't always deliver a reading fast enough. I've had a few situations where for example it says 178, so I hit my 178 club and see it come up short. I look back down at my phone and it now says 194 or something. There are times when it takes too long to gather info.

On the other hand my uPro (older version) is always fast and slightly more accurate.

I think it has to do with the number of satellites it gets signals from.

Absolutely no point in paying a subscription for this service. Giant rip off.

I'd look around for a dedicated golf GPS unit with a big screen and no yearly fees.

I spy with my little eye something...

I use golfshot and it's good enough. but I'd like to get a range finder to help.

I've done 36 holes with golfshot on my iphone and it's cutting it really really close.

And I agree with other statements recommending turning the app on a minute before you need the reading, it can take 10-60 seconds for the thing to lock on accurately enough to play the correct iron.

• SPY VIP

I use a range finder and GolfShot for a score card. I've also used a wide array of GPS apps on my phone, but in the end I always like the range finder better. One drawback is the range finder won't help with a dogleg, but if you plan the course ahead, that's not really a problem. When I feel like measuring my shots, then I pull out one of the free GPS apps.

I've owned a couple of rangefinders, a uPro, and have tried a couple of GPS apps on my phone. Like others here I've used both GolfShot and GolfLogix, and both are very good. I still use GolfShot, but just to have for those one or two shots per round where I don't have a direct line of sight to the pin, or where I need a number to a bunker or water hazard (the rangefinder doesn't work particularly well if there isn't a measurable elevation change near the boundary of the hazard).

For everything else I use the rangefinder, and if I were going to spend money on one or the other, I'd go rangefinder every time. Thankfully, there are apps with basic GPS functionality for basically nothing.

One other quick note. I tried both Golfshot and GolfLogix for score keeping. Though I'll probably check in again this year to see if there are any enhancements, I found oobGolf's functionality a bit richer...or at least more in line with what I was looking for.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I will be facing the same decision in July. The bottom line for me has always come down to functionality and battery life on a phone app. I need my phone for business and can't have the battery dying, ever. I can live through a round without a GPS unit. I've tested several GPS phone apps and none of them work as well as my SkyCaddy, the screen is hard to read, the phone goes to sleep or loses signal, and they just aren't very accurate. They don't work well enough imo.

I do hate paying the $50/year for the SkyCaddy membership but I do believe it is the best golf GPS product available (have an SGX).

A couple friends have the Garmin GPS Watch and they like it quite a bit and it seems pretty accurate when tracked side by side against my SkyCaddy. Downside to the watch is that the battery is only good for 1 round on a charge, but it seems very accurate, convenient, and no membership fee!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I will be facing the same decision in July. The bottom line for me has always come down to functionality and battery life on a phone app. I need my phone for business and can't have the battery dying, ever. I can live through a round without a GPS unit. I've tested several GPS phone apps and none of them work as well as my SkyCaddy, the screen is hard to read, the phone goes to sleep or loses signal, and they just aren't very accurate. They don't work well enough imo.

I do hate paying the $50/year for the SkyCaddy membership but I do believe it is the best golf GPS product available (have an SGX).

A couple friends have the Garmin GPS Watch and they like it quite a bit and it seems pretty accurate when tracked side by side against my SkyCaddy. Downside to the watch is that the battery is only good for 1 round on a charge, but it seems very accurate, convenient, and no membership fee!

The GPS watches have been tempting me for their simplicity. Too bad their battery is that bad though, 1 round per charge with such a smaller screen?

Battery problems on phone apps are usually phone related, not because of the app.

iPhones are known for having an inferior battery life. My Motorola lasts 3 days with normal use. My older HTC used to last 4-5 days with one charge.

The time required to lock onto satellites after unlocking the phone also depends on the phone model.

Many of the GPS apps let you map your own course if it doesn't exist.

But I am really tempted to buy a range finder. It's cool to have a laser to play with! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

After careful consideration I am very likely to renew the Sky Caddie and keep the SG4 with its Soviet Designed power connection. This has been a great unit, easy to use, rugged, accurate, battery after 4 years will still go 36 holes, and even played 54 holes not long ago, (Sky caddie out lasted me,) but it is the crappiest design of connectors I have ever seen.

EDIT: Please forgive the following rant. No animals were killed or injured during the typing of this post.

Apparently, these people did not have a cell phone to copy, and it really is reminiscent of a 1950's design military grade radio connector. This would be fine for just the data transfer but you have to hook it up every time to charge it. It is such a poor design I have written them letters to complain about it five times. Then they made the mistake of saying it was not their design but Magellan's design, which really set me off because if it has your name on it, it is your problem not Magellan's.

Why five times? Because that is how many time the stupid screw that holds the connector on has stripped out and had to be replaced. Luckily you can buy them off eBay for 8 dollars including shipping. But the worst part is the new ones do not fit either. You have to take the screw out and shave some plastic off of the back so that the screw is long enough not to strip out. I play almost everyday so I am hooking it up almost everyday and everytime I do it pisses me off that I bought this and did not return it the first time I saw how it was designed. Instead I waited until the first screw stripped out, one month or so after I started using it, and they offered to replace it, FOR THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Because the price had dropped by $100 since I had bought it and they were offering me $100 trade in because mine was broken. What was broken was the stupid screw.

This is a poor design that should have never made it into production.

Having said that it has been a great teaching aid to me. I design systems that are being built in Europe. I learned because of this Sky Caddie that it does not matter how good a system works if there is a irritating flaw in it. This GPS is really awesome, but the connector that is the last thing you see of it for the day is crap. So your thoughts about this is not how accurate, easy to use, visible screen, or anything else, because you have to hook it up to charge it, so the last thing you do it hold the Sky Caddie, hold the connector, and turn the screw. Yes, if you counted those you came up with three things to do with two hands, and then the very small very fine thread screw will strip out. So the last experience for the day, week, or however long you have with it is that connector. I always look at the little things and thing about the sky caddie as what not to do.

You got that right Rick, that connector has to be in the top 10 worst designs of any product I have ever owned! It is what eventually did in my SG4. Unfortunately I didn't know about being able to buy aftermarket connectors, so my SG4 is still sitting here with a stripped out connector. (let me know if you ever need it for parts, I also have the cradle for it if you want it for a mount, still using the mounting bracket for my SGX, but have the plastic cradle)

They did fix the connector problem with the SGX model though. The SGX is a significant upgrade all around to the SG4 and has a mini-usb data/charger connector. However, my connector did break just recently after 2 seasons. I mucked around with soldering the connector back to the board but that piece is tough to wrangle with. Fortunately they replaced my unit for $75, and they replaced it with a new unit, not a refurb which I was very happy with given that it was well out of warranty!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing with phone apps is that they're against USGA rule because the phone has a compass and wind direction built in (all smart phones do). As long as you're not using them in sanctioned events, you're fine. If it's anything sanctioned that allows yardage devices, if someone calls you on it, you'll be DQ'd. I, personally, prefer laser rangefinders. They're more accurate, and they work on any course out there. (I do have golfcard on my iPhone, and I use the statistics feature of it, but don't use the rangefinder anymore after it was brought to my attention about it being against the rules).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

Good point Rookie - I hadn't thought of that - never used my phone in a sanctioned event but have started using it of late.

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a couple of those animals coming the end of the summer into the fall.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I ended up renewing my Sky Caddie, but still use a phone app when playing a course that I am unfamiliar with. I played one today, and this is only the second time I have been there. I used the overhead view of the app, Mobitee to plan my strategy and decide where I wanted the drive to go. But once I teed off, I used the Sky Caddie to tell me distance to the pin. The interesting thing was that the guys in the other cart used a Laser. Since this course had a blind shot nearly every hole, they would have to drive up to the top of the hill and get a range, then shot back to the ball or whatever and add the numbers together. It was a very cumbersome process. It did not do them any good. We had an individual hole bet, a cumulative score bet, and then a team bet. We won the team bet by 5 stokes. They wanted to press the bet but I said we still had two other bets in play. It did not matter I won the next two holes anyway, so they said thank you for not taking us for $20 more. ( I did not want to get so involved in these additional holes to blow the round I was having.) I hit all but two fairways, and on this course that spells disaster. I ended up with three double bogies and but still shot 80 and won $63. We are going back tomorrow and I hole to avoid trouble on those three holes. These are the same three holes I double bogied last time. I had no penalty strokes all day, and finished with the same ball I started with.

• 10 months later...

We created a fun app to use if you are not playing in sanctioned events. It is a GPS app that allows you to select your target and it will automatically calculate where you should aim based on wind speed/direction and elevation change.

Below is an article that describes in more detail what it does.

http://gps.about.com/b/2013/04/02/pocket-caddy-golf-gps.htm

Would love to know anyone thoughts. It is $0.99 and available for the iphone/ipad. Let me know if you would like to review it and I will get you a promo code to try it for free.

We created a fun app to use if you are not playing in sanctioned events. It is a GPS app that allows you to select your target and it will automatically calculate where you should aim based on wind speed/direction and elevation change.

Below is an article that describes in more detail what it does.

http://gps.about.com...dy-golf-gps.htm

Would love to know anyone thoughts. It is $0.99 and available for the iphone/ipad. Let me know if you would like to review it and I will get you a promo code to try it for free.

After this weekend my skycaddie is going away. I will review this. For reasons I listed a year ago, I will not use a phone app permanently since I play everyday, but would review this. I saw this on the site and considered it but got distracted and did not reply and have not thought about it.

What happened to the SkyCaddie Rick?

What happened to the SkyCaddie Rick?

Skycaddie is 5 years old, buttons are really hard to push, battery will only last about 6 hours now, and the Soviet Designed electrical connector that I complained about for 5 years has broken 5 times and I have been using a rubber band but even with that it may or may not recharge and it has been held together with electrical tape for the past 3 months after falling off the top of the golf cart and me running over it, and the damned thing still works.

As much as I hate the design, and I hate the annual fees, it really has been a dependable and reliable unit. I am debating, I could re-up with skycaddie and buy a different unit. I probably will never find another unit that I hate as much but works as well as this one has.

I really have used this thing some where between 800 and 1000 times and it has always worked, until recent battery not charging issues.

This is sort of like me bitching about my truck that had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it.

I posted this on the other Skycaddie renewal thread a couple of weeks back. Highly recommend over either Skycaddie or Phone app.

"From one who has used both a skycaddie and an iPhone app and has 60 year old eyes, the Bushnell dual GPS/Laser Rangefinder has been a godsend. Pricey upfront, but no annual fees. GPS is fast and the laser works wonderful. And I can read it EASILY in the bright sunlight. Why both? GPS is good for obstructed views, general idea of distance when leaving the cart and measuring actual distance of shots. Laser is great, of course, for actual distances. Amazing how many times pins are significant distant from where the indicated pin positions are supposed to be.

A speed up play trick I learned (so I don't have to take it from the cart or laser everyones ball) is once you've arrived at the general location of everybody's shots, take a laser reading and relate it to center of green on the GPS. Tell everybody, say 5 yds up from center. Then everyone can get their own yardages from sprinkler heads or their own GPS watches or devices. "

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Skycaddie is 5 years old, buttons are really hard to push, battery will only last about 6 hours now, and the Soviet Designed electrical connector that I complained about for 5 years has broken 5 times and I have been using a rubber band but even with that it may or may not recharge and it has been held together with electrical tape for the past 3 months after falling off the top of the golf cart and me running over it, and the damned thing still works.

As much as I hate the design, and I hate the annual fees, it really has been a dependable and reliable unit. I am debating, I could re-up with skycaddie and buy a different unit. I probably will never find another unit that I hate as much but works as well as this one has.

I really have used this thing some where between 800 and 1000 times and it has always worked, until recent battery not charging issues.

This is sort of like me bitching about my truck that had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it.

The design on the new ones is MUCH better! Modern even, micro-usb to charge and sync, etc. I still have my old SG5, it was in good shape except for the charger, if you want to pillage it for parts you're welcome to it!

The design on the new ones is MUCH better! Modern even, micro-usb to charge and sync, etc. I still have my old SG5, it was in good shape except for the charger, if you want to pillage it for parts you're welcome to it!

Thanks but no. I am done with the Sky Caddie brand. at least for now.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Skycaddie SGX, traded in the SG4 when the SGX came out a few years ago.

I tried using a few different apps on my iphone and for me it just wasn't the same. The skycaddie is just to easy to use and accurate. The app. drains the battery and couldn't make it 18 holes.

I would stick with the Skycaddie, most of the apps you can use it for a round or two to see if you like it or not. You could try that first to see if you like it.

I have an old SG2.5 and a Nikon laser. The annual fee is the killer for me. Is it honestly that much superior to another GPS to justify the annual fee? I really think they need to reconsider the business model at SkyCaddie. I'm seriously considering a Garmin S2 watch. I never play more than a single round in a day. Simplicity, nothing hanging off the belt, which always seems to get caught on something when I ride. The Nikon is probably 7-8 years old and still going strong. Changed the battery over the winter, first time ever.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

My Bushnell Neo X GPS Watch arrived today. And will be reviewing it soon. Played with it tonight but rain precluded a solid test of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I play with a combination of these, my go to at the moment is the Garmin G6 - nice and easy to use, long battery life and a really cool feature that allows you to distance track each shot to average out your club distances is a very handy reference, I also use from time to time a Garmin S3 watch, nice and handy if all you really want is distances - both are subscription free and cheap enough to buy

Also use the Golfshot Pro app on my phone if I'm playing with mates as the stats tracking is pretty cool, I really dig reviewing my performance after each round, the added feature of automatically emailing out copies of the scorecards to those you are playing with does come in handy as well

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 45.75" 9.5deg GD AD BB6s

3-wood: Titleist 913F" 13.5deg Diamana S 51g 4.6tq

Hybrid: XXIO U6 & U3 40" 24*/19* MP600 S 57g 4.6tq

Irons : XXIO Forged 7-P ProjectX 6.0 rifle (golf pride midsize tour wrap grips)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 48, 52, 56, 60 & 64

Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 31.5" Straight + SureStroke Flatso Mid

Ball : Titleist PRO V1 2013

Bag : Titleist J-Tour Staff

Clothing : Loudmouth, Oakley

Glove : Oakley tour

Shoes : Oakley Carbon Pro

www.baldingeaglesgolf.com

Archived