TESTERS WANTED! ×

Motorola MOTOACTV Golf GPS and more

• SPY VIP

Check out this new golf GPS from Motorola. One should be coming in for review soon so we can see if it is as multi-functional as it sounds. They have Bubba on board:

Click HERE to read the release.

More to come...

image001.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm a holdout who doesn't own a GPS or laser rangefinder. I've never wanted the "hassle" if trying to sight the flag in a rangefinder, and I've seem some GPS devices that I didn't trust to be accurate. But recently I played with someone who had one of the Garmin wristwatch-type GPS devices. I was impressed with it's accuracy and ease of use.

This appears to be a similar product that looks really nice and has an abundance of interesting features. I'm looking forward to the review. (I also saw that Bubba picked one of his twitter followers to get one. Lucky guy!)

Guys, I'll get my hands on one of these next week as they've asked us to participate in an internal focus group to help provide on-course feedback on ways to improve the next iteration (I work for Motorola).

Getting paid to play golf and test cool stuff? Yeah, I love my job.

BTW, yes... the rumors weren't true. I didn't kick the bucket on the course or after a "vigorous workout" with my 20 year-old girlfriend. Just took a long hiatus from the online golf world to clear my virtual head. B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Welcome back A2G. Good to see you again :)

Same here. Hope you're doing well. Saw your post regarding your efforts to improve. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and making some excellent progress.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Looks interesting. Though

A: A lot of guys I know can't play with a watch on already. This thing looks fairly beefy so I'm curious if they would use it

B: The satalite view of your round and shots you took looks wicked cool.

C: I can't seem to find a course list. Saying you have 20k courses is nice but as a Canadian, I find on a lot of devices they only do the major courses here and not the smaller ones.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Saying you have 20k courses is nice but as a Canadian, I find on a lot of devices they only do the major courses here and not the smaller ones.

Well yeah, it's Canada (kidding). :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well yeah, it's Canada (kidding). :D

Heh. It's not like I don't understand their cost vs market ratio choices on that matter but it's not really a winning sentiment either.

I do have to say that Callaway or Garmin really seems to be the best for us, at least out West. Everyone else is ho hum. Don't join the ho hum group Motorola.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

So, at the risk of sounding biased, I came away really liking the MOTOACTV Golf Edition during my session with it. Tons of bells and whistles that you can enable or disable so you can pretty much gather as much data during the round as you care to -- yardage, scorecard stats, shot tracking, specific club distances, etc. It isn't a small device on the wrist (a compromise due to the size of the screen) but I really stopped noticing it after the first couple of holes. I think you could also strap it to your bag if having something on the wrist is an issue.

Yardage, for the course we played on, was spot on. Someone in my group compared it to their GPS and the yardages matched. I also thought the yardages were accurate based on my normal distances and the resulting shots. Acquisition was quick. I didn't spend enough time on the website after my data was uploaded but the shot tracking superimposed on the satellite course imagery was super cool.

Bottom line - pretty damn good golf device. And if you do other sports like running, cycling, etc. and like to listen to music during them then it's even more cost effective because, unlike competing products, the MOTOACTV supports multiple sports. If you don't believe me (and I understand), go on Amazon and read the reviews from other people who have used it for various activities. It's getting pretty decent reviews.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Heh. It's not like I don't understand their cost vs market ratio choices on that matter but it's not really a winning sentiment either.

I do have to say that Callaway or Garmin really seems to be the best for us, at least out West. Everyone else is ho hum. Don't join the ho hum group Motorola.

I honestly don't know how many courses in Canada are supported Tuna and I forgot to ask. But, I will attempt to find out for you. BTW, I really was kidding about the Canada thing. I have some friends who are Canadian and we give each other grief all the time over our country allegiances and differences in culture. For instance, I still haven't acquired a full appreciation for the sport of hockey (gasp). So don't take it the wrong way. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't know how many courses in Canada are supported Tuna and I forgot to ask. But, I will attempt to find out for you. BTW, I really was kidding about the Canada thing. I have some friends who are Canadian and we give each other grief all the time over our country allegiances and differences in culture. For instance, I still haven't acquired a full appreciation for the sport of hockey (gasp). So don't take it the wrong way. ;)

Bought the in Canada 2 weeks ago. Got the 8gb model just in time to get the free golf update.

As for Canada courses there are a lot. However, if your course isn't there, Motorola uses the skydroid.net database and you can map your own courses on it.

I am a clublink member and none of the 4 main courses I play were mapped.

Had them mapped in about 1 hours time and took about 1 week for them to show on Motorola database.

Overall works well as golf gps. I have small wrists but had no problem playing 18 with iron my wrist.

Bad thing is you have to manually input the par on each hole as it does not know it if you use it for scorecard tracking. Also to get best use you should hit the start button on each hole.

Goes through about 50% battery during a typical round. What is cool is also when done it shows you how many extra calories you burned. And you can keep a log of your score cards.

Works well as mp3 exercise watch. And great for other workouts be it running biking elliptical etc.

Finally it connects to my phone by bluetooth and i get notifications of text messages or calls on it. I exercising with headset plugged in, I can even answer calls on it while keeping my phone in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

I really really want one of these. Would I buy it over a Golf Buddy or Skydroid? YES. How about over a leupold laser rangefinder?....that I do not know...i want both. :lol:

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Archived