Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:05 PM
You don't need to consider aerodynamics when talking about how weight attached to the shaft will effect flex. Place a shaft into a Frequency machine, stick a 210gram weight on the tip of the shaft then get the frequency reading for that shaft and 210grams of weight. Then remove the 210gram weight and attach ha 190gram weight in the same fashion then get the reading from the machine for that weight. The 210grams will frequency lower then the 190grams meaning that the shaft plays softer in the 210grams then the 190grams. Majority of frequency machines come with a ASTM standard 205 tip weight included for measuring raw shafts. Frequency changes if you move up or down from the 205gram tip weight.
Back to the topic 'is light longer' that answer is simple, they only go longer when the smash factor is equal. For a lot of better players they find it easier to control the face by feel with a heavier head and thus providing a more consistent swing speed and smash factor. Average swing speed is completely misleading, it is more about your consistent swing speed in a set, call it the normal tempo and swing speed that produces the best results.
I provided data that showed you were more all over the map on Driver #1 finding you most frequent swing speed (consistent normal swing speed) of 118-119 only 50% of the time. On Driver #2 the fluctuation were less apparent and more consistent by 20% over Driver #1 finding 117-118 (consistent normal swing speed) a total of 70% of the time for the 10 swing sample that you provided.
The threshold for Driver #1 to at least match Driver #2 in terms of distance, Assuming a swing speed of 116.5 and smash factor of 1.45 this gives us a ball speed of 168.925.
Driver #1 needs to have at least a 1.4255 smash to match the Driver #2 at least 70% of your swings other wise for your normal swing Driver #2 will produce more consistent better results.
You would need to find the 1.45 at least 70% of the time (the percentage you have your normal swing speed for Driver #2) to make the driver #1 longer for your average consistent swing speed, if you did then the ball speed is increased to 171.825.
171.825 - 168.925 = 2.9mph extra ball speed if you can get the 1.45 smash the same percentage as the heavier driver. Assuming that 1mph ball speed = 2 yards carry then you are looking at 5.8 additional yards!!!
Removing spin and some other factors on distance just translating ball speed at 2yards per 1mph with the ball speeds listed above (this obviously is not the case in real life thanks ot wind drag and spin on the ball.
50% of your swing will go 343.65 with Driver #1
70% of your Drives will go 337.85 with Driver #2
now what happens on the 50% you are off on tempo swinging slower of faster on Driver #1...
If you do not get at least 1.4255 20% of the time then you start losing distance to Driver #2 for the 20% it will find you average smash factor.
The reaming 30% is mostly about the average smash factor and threshold where Driver #1 is longer then Driver #2 just like it was for when you found the tempo perfectly to replicate the swing speed on Driver #2. because the changes were only 2mph on Driver #2 rather then I think 4mph on Driver #1 I would have to assume you will get a higher smash factor more often on Driver #2 then Driver #1
VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies
Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")Tour Edge
Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies
Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")Tour Edge
Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies
Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.5* - 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)Fourteen
MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS
Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)Fourteen
MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS
Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)Fourteen
MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 63.0* w/ KBS
Tour Wedge X-Stiff
Callie-f @ 33.25", 3.5* Loft, 69* Lie, 3/4 Shaft Offset, Pure Midsize Round GripLamkin
Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap
Z-Star Favorite Quotes
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones
The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.