Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Martin Golf Apparel

The year is 2012, and it's difficult to walk into any pro shop or golf specialty store to find a 100% cotton golf shirt. If you do, you're lucky if the shirt looks and fits the same after five wash cycles. It's happening more often it seems, I will read members of the forums asking where they can find a quality cotton golf shirt. The readership recommendations seem to be few, they're tough to find.

Martin Golf Apparel is a new golf apparel company that offers and builds upon what the owner, Rick Martin, describes as the quintessential fabric for any active participation. Cotton. Rick Martin founded the Fairway and Greene golf apparel company back in the early 1990's and his son, Todd Martin is currently the President of Peter Millar golf. As Rick Martin will tell you, Martin Golf is a new company, but it's clear he's not new to the apparel business. A business he's been in for 38 years. He describes himself as an apparel guy, and a golfer by hobby.

In talking with Rick Martin, it's clear he's a man of tradition, and he's built his company around tradition. He believes the golf apparel offerings in the marketplace today are similar to the offerings of the mid 1990's. Martin said they are made of loud prints and panels that have a NASCAR feel to them. Martin said, “What you have is a costume look and feel”. I had not thought of the comparison to the trends of the 1990's to the outfits of today, but I have to agree with this assessment. Additionally, the apparel market today is saturated with “tech” fabric made up of primarily polyester or polyester blends.

Two factors have played a role in the migration away from the cotton golf shirt. Stability (shrinkage) and colorfastness, not only from multiple washings, but also fading from the sunlight. Martin spent a great deal of time in an effort to combat these issues in a process he originally developed and utilizes called double mercerization. Mercerization is a process used to impregnate the yarn while securing it, which prevents shrinkage and fading. The second component to this process provides the luster, look, finish, and longevity exclusive to Martin Golf. “You would be hard pressed to find another double mercerized golf shirt in the game today.” Martin incorporates an elliptical stitch to wick moisture as well as locking process to minimize tension in the collar preventing roll.

Martin describes a simple yet effective approach his sales representatives utilize in pro shops while comparing his apparel line to others. They'll ask the professional to pick any shirt out of their current offerings then do the same with any shirt in the Martin Golf Apparel line. Then, they will ask the professional to describe the differences of the shirts, and what makes Martin Golf a cut above the rest. Time and again, the response has been, “Wow, I see it now.” Martin said the response “Is not an accident. We didn't say, hey lets come up with a shirt line. A lot of thought went into it and we believe we produce the best shirt in golf.”

Martin Golf Apparel cannot be found in at major retailers or even online. Their apparel is dedicated to private golf club pro shops and their focus is on the PGA Professionals responsible for operating them. “They are one of the last [apparel] specialty stores left on earth. The rest have a department store mentality focusing on trends and what the other guy is doing.” Martin wants the people responsible for selling his product to really know and understand his line so they can communicate the same to consumers. “We are not about price.”

Out of the box, these shirts passed the Martin sales representative test. I can honestly say that I have never felt a shirt like this in my lifetime. The quality of the construction, and feel of the cotton fabric is like none other. The only word that came to mind holding them in hand was, luxury. I can't remember the last time I wore a 100% cotton golf shirt to play a round of golf. Without question, they are the best looking shirts I own when worn. I am really looking forward to testing these during the humid summer months in the Minneapolis-St. Paul, area.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Posted Image

I love cotton shirts and WILL try to get my hands on one of these soon. I am more of a traditional guy when it comes to golf shirts, and I hate seeing a lot of graphics on them. These shirts are refreshing to see and, like I said, I want to give these a try. Whats the price range for Martin shirts?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I love cotton shirts and WILL try to get my hands on one of these soon. I am more of a traditional guy when it comes to golf shirts, and I hate seeing a lot of graphics on them. These shirts are refreshing to see and, like I said, I want to give these a try. Whats the price range for Martin shirts?

Thanks, $80-85.

Posted Image

Zinger, how thick are these and how breathable? Are they moisture wicking or not? That's a major area that matters to me in the hot and humid deep south.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Zinger, how thick are these and how breathable? Are they moisture wicking or not? That's a major area that matters to me in the hot and humid deep south.

They are really thin and very breathable. However, being in MN, I can't attest to the moisture control. I've only played 2 rounds without a jacket/sweater so far. Will keep you posted on that.

Posted Image

Not to mention that the price of Cotton has gone up more than 300% between 2005-2011, they came back down some, but Cotton is still way over priced.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

They are really thin and very breathable. However, being in MN, I can't attest to the moisture control. I've only played 2 rounds without a jacket/sweater so far. Will keep you posted on that.

That sucks, I've been in shorts since mid-march

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived