TESTERS WANTED! ×

Kevin Na's shot off the cart path at the Players

Moecat

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2012/5/14/3018922/kevin-na-announcer-s-word-video-players-championship

VIDEO: Kevin Na's Amazing Shot Causes Announcer To Cuss

by Brian Floyd • May 14, 2012 8:01 AM EDT

Really can't blame an announcer -- and I'm not sure which one it was, to be honest -- to drop an s-bomb after Kevin Na hit a 240-yard approach off the cart path and onto the green on Sunday at The Players Championship. Na was stuck in a bad spot, even if it was more desirable than the side-hill lie he took a free drop from. He purposely placed his ball on the asphalt cart path, prioritizing a flat lie over his clubs and perhaps well-being.

He pulled it off and made it look easy. Not only did he manage to put his ball back into play, he put it on the green. The crowd roared, the announcers stammered in disbelief and one of the on-air personalities said "s***"

It comes right around the 40-second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rjeCmX2b5JE

To be fair, this was pretty much my reaction at home, except the s-bomb was preceded by a holy and a f-bomb. Na had no business getting this shot on the green, yet managed to pull it clean out of his backside.

So we'll forgive the announcer for dropping bombs. The occasion called for it.

Who cares about a $200 golf club when you play for $100k a stroke. Well the difference between 1&2 is more but 8&9 is less but the price of a club is nothing when you are paid to play them anyway.

Still a great shot.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I can't remember the last time I heard metal spikes clicking on pavement. Ahhh.....memories :)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

I was watching for sparks. Was just as stunned as everyone as it rolled up on the green.

Mr. Miller was ragging on Na quite a bit at the start of the broadcast. Very unnecessary IMO.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

sounded like a different quality audio overlayed into the video, did anyone actually hear that when watching it on their Tv?

It sounds like they doctored that video, has 'shyeah' or something overlaid in the audio. Regardless, I could care less if the announcer said it that they doctored it makes it a bigger story in my opinion. Turn on network tv and watch a rated movie, they edit to be TV-MA with 'strong language', 'violence' & 'sexual situations' a lot of times a combo of such. You will hear words as such in those movies pretty regularly.

I can start a rant on how I feel about 'foul language' in terms of the basic priceless, but I will leave this for people to ponder. At what point in U.S. / society acceptation in history and by whom or group did the words get flagged as being offensive? If you remove stipulation and slang from the word does it have a definition and synonyms?

You might guess where I stand on it, but just a question to ask yourself or even type a response if you want in here.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Not that big of a deal, they'll swap the heads out and he'll have a new club again.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

So are your saying that you do not give a s*** if someone says s*** on TV?:P

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I can't remember the last time I heard metal spikes clicking on pavement. Ahhh.....memories :)

I soooo miss that sound and the feel of the metal spikes.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I love metal spikes, but they are not recommended for everyone, depends on your weight distribution in the follow through (ask tiger how it feels to have metal spikes that not give when weight is on the ball of the lead foot = knee injury).

It is a shame that you can't get them now a days, I would love to have one set, I would still wear my soft spikes 99% of the time, I just get the hardest most gripping soft spike that i can find, so far that has been Champ Stingers. http://www.champspikes.com/products/golf/spikes/, Same exact spike that Footjoy uses as their stock offering in their newer models just different color.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Miss that sound of metal spikes, too. But then again, I miss the sound of a persimmon wood...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Too many people would tear greens up with metal spikes. I saw a guy drag mark a green in spikeless trues the other day. Not to mention pressing seed from wild grass into the green and planting it. I love them, but they're bad for courses with all the lazy people out there that can't make themselves pick their feet up. (yes, I realize you can do the same kind of damage with soft spikes, but it's amplified with metal). I'd love to have metal on just the front two or three spikes on my spiked shoes.

And shambles, the Yonex Ezone 380 is about as close as I've found for the sound of persimmon in a metal wood. I was shocked the first swing I took. The thwack took me back to my beginning days.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You can get some sound of the sort by injecting some chemicals that become expanding foam into the cavity of your metal wood. Unfortunately it's pretty much a one way job and the added weight of the foam can mess up your swing weight and cor. Lots of opportunities for total disaster on that road though I continue to think about it.

Kevin Na's shot off asphalt was not all that unique and only drew attention because of the distance and the fact it succeeded. Greg Norman took a delicate pitch shot off a wooden bridge onto a green one time and a number of others have done that kind of shot under other circumstances. The thing with Norman's shot was that he was wearing steel spikes at the time. The shot is a simple sweep but steel spikes make the stance a bit chancy on a hard surface. Not so much of a difficulty with rubber or plastic spikes.

Done correctly the club only gets a bit of a mark on the flange. People these days overdo the divot thing.

Shambles

You can get some sound of the sort by injecting some chemicals that become expanding foam into the cavity of your metal wood. Unfortunately it's pretty much a one way job and the added weight of the foam can mess up your swing weight and cor. Lots of opportunities for total disaster on that road though I continue to think about it.

Kevin Na's shot off asphalt was not all that unique and only drew attention because of the distance and the fact it succeeded. Greg Norman took a delicate pitch shot off a wooden bridge onto a green one time and a number of others have done that kind of shot under other circumstances. The thing with Norman's shot was that he was wearing steel spikes at the time. The shot is a simple sweep but steel spikes make the stance a bit chancy on a hard surface. Not so much of a difficulty with rubber or plastic spikes.

Done correctly the club only gets a bit of a mark on the flange. People these days overdo the divot thing.

Shambles

Didn't Justin Rose have one of these as well. You can also use cotton balls or yarn to mute the sound on a club and it's reversible (though cotton balls is more of a pain to remove than yarn).

In The Bag

What's acceptable in terms of language is always an interesting thing. I was once chastised (anonymously but I recognized the hand writing) for using the word squat from the pulpit. But if you read Martin Luther's sermons they are laced with explitives. I don't use them very often but am not offended when others do - It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Having written that I was watching and didn't hear the profanity - I guess I wasn't as shocked by the shot as everyone else - a touring pro from that level lie off of a smooth surface is going to hit the green close to half the time - it just looks hard to those of us who might be prone to chunking a shot. I went to the Jimmy Ballard golf academy back in the 80's and he hit wedges off the back patio for us and each one was pure.

I love the sound of metal spikes but am very happy to see them gone - there are enough issues with people not fixing their ball marks or raking traps - at least we don't often have to deal with spike marks anymore. More than the sound I love the feel or at least loved the feel of a well struck shot with a persimon wook - I like the distance, forgiveness and accuracy of my current metal woods better though - Once the performance is there I get used to the sound and the feel.

Like others here I hope that Kevin Na gets over his current swing thought troubles - he seems like a great guy and I hate to see him taking so much heat over something that is internal and probably well beyond his conscious control.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Didn't Justin Rose have one of these as well. You can also use cotton balls or yarn to mute the sound on a club and it's reversible (though cotton balls is more of a pain to remove than yarn).

Cotton balls can be stuffed in but they compress when they have acquired moisture and trust me, there is no such thing as waterproof, only water resistant.

The early days with metal woods included foam in the heads to reduce or remove the clanging. They used a PVC type of material which did not absorb water but still acted to reduce the metal clang, and could afford to do so regardless of the weight penalty because the heads were much smaller. You can see this if you cut an old TM Burner open. You can probably do the same by simply asking a chemistry professor what chemicals to mix, and simply inject the right amounts into the head through the hosel and let the chemicals react inside. There will probably be some heat involved and some smell when the chemicals react. However it's a one way thing and has to be done right the first time. The expanding foam will occupy all available hollow spaces inside.

Apologies for the OT

Shambles

Miss that sound of metal spikes, too. But then again, I miss the sound of a persimmon wood...

Amen to the persimmon sound

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived