revkev

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,362 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

RR - really nice write up - loved it -

I spent a lot of sleepless time last night over a variety of things not the least of which were two unspeakable tragedies going on among those congregants of mine (a year old with terminal brain cancer - if anyone out there is a praying man Hudson is his name and we'll take all the prayers we can get.) So I had lots of time to think about this and I think you're right.

My Nicklaus Irons are that very same concept except of course they are 10 year old technology with that same concept. I've enjoyed those clubs immensly and played some great golf with them - imagine Mizzie's with all of their research and experience and quality built in.

I'm anxious to go get fit but I'm pretty well sold that this is the way I'm going. What would be the worst thing that could happen? My longest iron is currently a 6 - I could comfortably hit a hickory shafted club with that kind of loft so I'd just put my old Adams Idea pro 4 and 5 hybrid back into the bag if for some reason I wasn't comfortable with the 4 and 5 iron - I'm betting I love them though - I'd love to have the trajectory of a 4 iron down here, even if it were a higher one, beyond a doubt.

I think I'm ready for some poradge and a good night's sleep.
Driver TMag SLDR 12 DegreeFairway woods Callaway xHot extremes Hybrid Adams V4 23 Irons Wilson C 100 matrix studio 6.1 5-PWWedges SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite wedge lies are 2 degrees flat, irons 1.5 degrees shafts 1/2" over standardPutter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"Bag. Nike Cart my best ever!Ball Bridgestone B330 RX

#47 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,478 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:5

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Rick, what do you think of graphite in irons?..Have you ever hit graphite in an iron?..How much does a graphite shaft cost?...What is the ave. distance gain off of graphite?...How was the feel?...

Thanx Rick...

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

My Hogan CFT's were originally graphite shafts, and were supposedly the right shafts for me. Sadly, this was not the case and I never saw any increase in distance or control or anything and spent years reshafting these to finally get them right. However, as part of the 2012: A Shaft Odyssey I did collect some data using Cobra and Callaway clubs with a graphite shaft. Initially, I was hopeful. I was hitting the PW over 150 yards in carry and the 6 iron I occasionally hit over 200. However, unless I went to graphite wedges that meant I would have to cover any distance between 100 (max SW) and 150 with a gap wedge or two. But it stands to reason that if I hit a 3 iron 100 more yards than a pitching wedge, and I hit a pitching wedge 150 yards, I can now hit a 3 iron 250 yards. Sadly this was not the case. The 3 iron went 4 more yards than my current 3 iron.

What I did in fact experience was that there was a 12 yard gap between PW and 9. Less between a 8 and 9. Even less with a 8 and 7. So what I was doing was using 8 clubs to cover the distance between 150 and 215. With the XS steel I covered that from 120 to 210 with those clubs. All I had accomplished was to create the need to add more wedges.

The only important number with distance is the consistant distance. I have finally figured out that there is no need to even think about the 300 yard drive. That is like the 150 yard pitching wedge. Sure I might can hit it once out of 200 tries. But what have I accomplished.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the high cappers in my group said he was always amazed that off the tee, while everyone was hitting driver, I was hittng irons and was the fartherest from the hole after the first shot, yet when we got up to the green, I was usually closest to the hole. I simply said thank you. I did not tell him that with the same force but a different club I cah hit a 5 iron with the almost the same accuracy as a gap wedge because it is the same swing.

Attached Files

In my :taylormade-small: Golf Bag

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5* on Paderson Kinetexx IMRT R

:titelist-small:  913F 15* on Aldila Voodoo SNV6 S

:ping-small:  I20  17* on Talimonti PD80

:mizuno-small:  MP FLI HI 2-3-4 on Тrue Temper Dynamic Gold

:mizuno-small: MP53 5 on Тrue Temper Dynamic Gold

:mizuno-small: MP68 6-9 on Тrue Temper Dynamic Gold

ScфrGolf   48, 53, & 59 on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

:scotty-small: Coronado

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

:footjoy-small:

All grips are Best Grips Micro-Perforated

#48 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

That's interesting because I've played graphite for years but do play with four wedges -

I know the question from Richard was for Rick but since I play graphite I can explain why - I have all kinds of back issues - I made the switch because at the time graphite was touted as easier on the body - I don't know how true this is anymore but I've learned to like the graphite - I certainly get feedback on shots - as you've picked up my 7 iron down are a players type of iron so you know what's going on when you hit the ball - no doubt about that.

For Richard why would you switch? You're playing great golf with what you have. I recall that the transition to graphite took a while so why put yourself through that or even think about putting yourself through that and what do you think about class basketball in Indiana? ;)

There have been so many advances in graphite that they can be made to perform very much like steel, heavier weight, lower ball flight, etc. Depends on what you want.

I'm intending to have graphite in my irons simply because that's what I've been playing with for the past 10 years and it works - I currently have G-tech's from Graphite by Design - I have their S/R flex which would be their equivalent to the Project X 5.5's - thats what I have my eye on right now - they're a tad heavier than my current shafts but I doubt I'm goint to notice 10 grams - I'm pretty good - not that good. You know aside from the static measurement and a few swings on the board to get the lie straight I think I'm ready to pull the trigger here - I wish I could find that paper that has whether or not my current lies are set to 1 or 2 degrees flat - I'm such a stupid sometimes.

Maybe the Yeti ate them. :)
Driver TMag SLDR 12 DegreeFairway woods Callaway xHot extremes Hybrid Adams V4 23 Irons Wilson C 100 matrix studio 6.1 5-PWWedges SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite wedge lies are 2 degrees flat, irons 1.5 degrees shafts 1/2" over standardPutter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"Bag. Nike Cart my best ever!Ball Bridgestone B330 RX

#49 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,478 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I should have pointed out that in addition to the graphite shafts, these had jacked up lofts. And they were longer than their steel counter parts. So I got maybe 10 more yards from the shaft being graphite, but with 45 vs 47 degrees and an extra lenght, the pw was closer to an 8 1/2 iron, plus this other distance.

As far as graphite easier on the body, maybe the hands but I do not believe any other part. But that is why I got them but now the only graphite shaft I play is in the driver.

Edit: Of the 30 or 40 shafts I have or pieces of shaft I have left over through the years, I now know that there have only been 4 that fit my swing, so my low opinion of them is certainly uninformed. I can tell you all you need to know about the two shafts. The right shaft is awesome, in graphite or steel. The wrong one is not.

#50 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,478 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Maybe the Yeti ate them. :)

I am pretty sure that Yeti are carnivores but Unicorns are herbivores. Maybe one of those ate it. Richard, what do you think happened to his papers? Yeti or unicorn?

#51 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm anxious to hear his answer to that question but while we're waiting my shafts are standard lengths as are my lofts (if there is such a thing as standard anymore). My gaps are pretty stable at 12 yards - I prefer more clubs at the bottom of the bag -

There's a wedge for everything is my motto. Can't wait to try those score wedges out - I'm intrigued by their concept. Is this similar to TMags new wedge?

#52 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm anxious to hear his answer to that question but while we're waiting my shafts are standard lengths as are my lofts (if there is such a thing as standard anymore). My gaps are pretty stable at 12 yards - I prefer more clubs at the bottom of the bag -

There's a wedge for everything is my motto. Can't wait to try those score wedges out - I'm intrigued by their concept. Is this similar to TMags new wedge?

#53 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Rick, what do you think of graphite in irons?

Not Rick but as a chime in, I love them. Now I'm going to add a caveat in that there's only two that I'm willing to suggest and one isn't for me.
A: The PX Graphite shafts are excellent for anyone that fits the PX profile. I've seen a number of guys make the switch and they've been quite happy with it.

B: Matrix Programs. IMO this is Daniel's best shaft design to date. Feels like muted steel, kinda like PXI's, plays like steel but with none of the nasty side effects on the joint. I'm moving into my 3rd set of Program shafts and this time I won't be giving them up.

The best way I can put something about Programs: These aren't your grand pappy's graphite shafts. These suckers are burly. It's really, really funny watching some guy try and go from hitting a PX 5.5 and then have a go with a Program X flex because graphite is wussy. Damn funny.

I currently have G-tech's from Graphite by Design - I have their S/R flex which would be their equivalent to the Project X 5.5's

I'm presuming you know this already but if you're looking at a FCM match between the G Tech's and the PX's keep in mind the 5.5 on the PX scale really means 6.0 on the FCM scale.

Again, I imagine you already knew that, I've just seen it catch a few people lately when they don't realize they jumped half a flex and wonder where their distance and feel went.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#54 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I appreciate that Super Tuna - I didn't know it for sure but as I've been doing more research I was beginning to get the sense that this was the case. You just confirmed what I was thinking.

You are also the second person to make the identical recommendation about graphite shafts. I'm a little leary of a graphite that's 120 gms. Should I be?

#55 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

If 120g is too much, it's too much either way. And I wouldn't recommend the Programs without getting fit for them.

The PX graphite shafts, if you're eyeballing those are certainly under that weight though. They roll in around 90 grams, so right in that sweet spot for light weight yet still being stable.

Are you able to swing by a place with a Mizuno fitting cart before placing your order? The shaft optimizer plus 15 minutes to try out it's suggestions plus a couple of similair options would have you sorted out easily.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#56 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

See RR - I told you it was the Yeti! :)

#57 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,478 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

See RR - I told you it was the Yeti! :)

Well, Richard has turned into our resident cryptozoologist. So he is probably right but I think that a rhinoceros is sort of an armored unicorn.

#58 revkev

revkev

• Members

• 4,362 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

umhhh not that's one to ponder -

If he really is a unicorn which Mizuno would he play - that Rhino?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      14 Apr
    Bogey in The Woods

If I hit it over 300 yards once..... shouldnt I always be able to?????

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      10 Mar
    hckymeyer

Tee times booked for this Sat and Sun, winter is over!!! (at least for this week)

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors