Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How Depressing is this?

Driver started sounding a bit off on the back nine today. Took a good look and here is what I saw. A fracture on the inside back of the head. Not good. Wrote to Cleveland HQ in the US and copied the Pacific office. Hope they will replace it for me.

255415_10151163173951578_515623903_n.jpg

Best driver I ever used.. wonder how long I will have to wait to use it again. :(

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Wish I could see it 😔 all I see is the neck and the rest is covered with ads and sponsor signs

Yeah it's mostly hidden on smaller computer screens behind ads. Just below the neck. Runs from the shiny flat finish right across onto the speckled painted area. About an inch and a half. And it feels really rough and ragged- almost like the metal has been ripped if that makes sense.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Hmm.... T-stamp Cleveland. I don't know that they'll do anything for you because that's a club designated for the tour van, which wasn't made to be sold. You may get lucky and get a helpful rep but you'll get a retail club back of they do cover it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wish I could see it 😔 all I see is the neck and the rest is covered with ads and sponsor signs

Are you on a mobile device or a computer? That happens to me on my computer sometimes when I accidentally zoom in while searching the web. Usually I zoom out to 100% and everything moves back to its normal position. Have you tried that?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's pretty odd how that crack goes through the metal faceplate/sole and the crown of the club. You would think the crack would stop at whatever section it originated in, not carry through to the next section.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

That's pretty odd how that crack goes through the metal faceplate/sole and the crown of the club. You would think the crack would stop at whatever section it originated in, not carry through to the next section.

I know. Very strange. Makes me think the problem is underneath and maybe worse than it looks.

Had no idea it was a tour model? What tour player is using a stiff shaft designed for SS under 100? I would happily take a retail replacement it would be an expensive loss otherwise. It was bought 4 months ago from a good member in another forum, I'll have to ask him if he had it made from a van.

In Play

Warming the bench

That crack is very odd. I have cracked the heads on several drivers and I have never had a crack go across a weld point.

Well there is no way with my SS that he crack was caused by ball impact. And cracking behind the head seems pretty wierd to me. Must be some strange build flaw. I have never had a head crack ever.

No word from anyone at Cleveland yet.

In Play

Warming the bench

I also don't think that's a weld or seam it's crossing, merely where the PVD and paint meet. Is this a Cleveland Black?

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I also don't think that's a weld or seam it's crossing, merely where the PVD and paint meet. Is this a Cleveland Black?

Yep.

In Play

Warming the bench

Let me know what they say, I know a Cleveland rep that might be able to help if they don't warranty it through the normal warranty program.

In The Bag

Let me know what they say, I know a Cleveland rep that might be able to help if they don't warranty it through the normal warranty program.

Thanks for that. I may take you up on it. I wrote to them on Sunday. No response yet, but I will leave it till the end of the week. My case is a bit tricky because of my location, but I am sure there must be a way to replace it without needing to fly half way around the world and without racking up massive import tax charges. Lots of official Cleveland distributors in town here with CG Blacks in stock, but unfortunately no official Cleveland offices or contact numbers (which I find surprising as Golf is pretty popular here). The local dealers are not much help. I took it over to one of the big ones and they just shrugged and said I should get in touch with Cleveland.

In Play

Warming the bench

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a response! Looks like they will be able to give me a new one from a local retailer.

Fingers are crossed....

In Play

Warming the bench

Good, I am still awaiting a call back from the rep, lol.

In The Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Final Update!

Three cheers for Cleveland!! It took a long time for someone to contact me, but once they did the process was very quick. I did an exchange at a local retailer today. No problems at all. The CG Black is back in play!

In Play

Warming the bench

Archived