• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GolfSpy_X

GolfSpy_X

GOLF INTEL

• Administrators
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Allen Smashes Guinness World Record for Driver Ball Speed Using A Fairway Wood!

World records aren’t just being broken at the 2012 Olympic games in London. Maurice Allen, professional long drive competitor, recently set the Guinness world record for driver ball speed using an Exotics XCG5 fairway wood! In the Full Swing simulator at America’s Golf outlet in Orlando Florida, Allen swung an Exotics XCG5 fairway wood that bested the current record of 204 mph ball speed set with a driver. That’s right he broke driver ball speed record using a fairway wood. Allen’s shot produced a whopping ball speed of 211 mph. The Guinness world record for fastest golf drive with a driver was previously held by Jason Zuback who on January 1, 2007 hit a drive that generated a ball speed of 204 mph.

“Allen’s shot is a remarkable feat because he beat Zuback’s record by 7 mph using a fairway wood” says Andy Harris, Tour Edge Golf’s PGA Tour representative. “Allen’s incredible shot produced a stunningly-long 347 yard 3-wood hit with 336 yards of carry. That’s longer than PGA Tour players hit their driver. It is a testament to Maurice’s strength and skill as well as an endorsement of the Exotics XCG5 fairway wood as being the longest hitting fairway wood in golf.”

Posted Image

To set the record, Allen used an Exotics XCG5 #3(15 degree) fairway wood with a stock regular flex Aldila RIP graphite shaft complimented with a custom Black Widow grip, and a Volvik Vista golf ball.

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5’ 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed. A goal setter by nature, Maurice has aspirations to play on the PGA Tour. In the meantime, Maurice will compete in the ReMax Long Drive Nationals in hopes of setting some more records.

Posted Image

"Power To The Player."

The MyGolfSpy Forum:
Posted Image Find us on: Posted Image Posted Image

#2 stevenhw8

stevenhw8

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,165 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Wonder how that regular shaft looks like during his swing :lol:

:adams-small: Speedline Fast12 LS 9.5* w/ Fubuki Alpha 60 S
:cobra-small: Baffler T-Rail 16* 3W w/ Cobra GD Tour AD

Deciding between  :adams-small: Super S 19* w/ Kujoh 75 S or Super LS 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: MP59 4-PW w/ KBS Tour S

DTG Inazone CNC Spin Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/ KBS Tour S
:yes-small: Callie 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star
:nike-small: M9 Cartbag / Clicgear 3.0

post-872-028340200%201372111404.jpg

#3 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 7,045 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh
  • Handicap:2

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

WOW!......Frickin WOW!......

fairways & Greens 4ever.......

What's Inside My Sun Mountain H2N0 Stand Bag:

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Adams Idea XTD Super LS VST Hybrid 19*, Fubuki AX 350

-Mizzy MP-68(4i-8i),TT DG TI S400, +1/2", +2*

-SCOR 43*,47*,51*,55*,59*, Genious 12 Firm +,  +1/2"

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord, Mizzy Blue/Black

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Shoes: A bunch, depends on my slacks, lol

I Am A Very Kind, Compassionate & Understanding Man......

Until It Is Time To Cease Being Kind, Compassionate & Understanding....

RP Jacobs II

#4 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,867 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Handicap:13

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5’ 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed.

Unreal.

In my bag, October 2014

Cobra AMP CELL PRO 10.5˚ Stock Shaft (Regular Flex)

Cobra Bio Cell 16˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Cobra Bio Cell 20˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Titleist 913H 24˚, 28˚ Hybrid -
KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)

Mizuno MP-52 6-PW; KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)
Callaway Jaws Wedges 52˚,56˚,60˚ DG Spinner Shafts
Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist ProV1x 2014 Balls

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#5 jmiller065

jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5’ 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed. A goal setter by nature, Maurice has aspirations to play on the PGA Tour. In the meantime, Maurice will compete in the ReMax Long Drive Nationals in hopes of setting some more records.

I think I have said it once before using Jamie Sadlowski (5'11", 185Lbs) as my example. It doesn't take being a big guy or a muscle builder to hit the ball a long a$$ way. All it takes is great swing sequence and timing.

They probably used the Regular flex shaft with his high swing speed to help generate a little extra whip at the bottom of the swing, when timed properly you can hit things stupid long... However, it is a poor idea for consistency on the course and accuracy / control. With his swing speed I am sure it had a TON of dynamic lead / Dynamic Close in the shaft at impact.

If you look up the video you will see the deviation High was Left{L} 111y and the record was Right{R} 19y. Not consistently straight that wasn't the goal at all in this situation.

When I first test hit my TE CB2 19* Hybrid on a LM it also had a R-Flex shaft in it, I hit a ton of snap hooks. Then I timed one perfectly and smack it out there 270 yards, there is no way in heck I could do that on a regular basis. Thus why I sacrifice some potential distance for stability in playing an X-Stiff.

Either way you look at it, that's a pretty dang cool thing to have happen, good for TE to get some marketing from it :)

My Equipment
KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:cleveland-small: 588 MB 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.0* - 62.0*, 21* - 43* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 62.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 62.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 62.0* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:yes-small: Callie-f @ 33.25", 3.5* Loft, 69* Lie, 3/4 Shaft Offset, Pure Midsize Round Grip
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap
:srixon-small: Z-Star

Favorite Quotes
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#6 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,507 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

And Here's the video:

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#7 SeeRed

SeeRed

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 493 posts
  • LocationSonoma County, CA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Some of the points JM brings up beg the question of how many swings he had to take to get that timing just right. Incredible feat, regardless.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"
Wison Staff FG Tour X or TM Lethal

#8 SeeRed

SeeRed

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 493 posts
  • LocationSonoma County, CA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

C'mon, his average ball speed on the monitor was a paltry 201 mph...
Yikes.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"
Wison Staff FG Tour X or TM Lethal

#9 Flv02

Flv02

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 556 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

DAMN! Thats great. It makes me feel better about the recommendation I gave my uncle to give the Tour Edge Exotics a try :)
Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+
3W:Cobra S2 14*
4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*
3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*
5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*
6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back
7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel
Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex
Putter: Odyssey Versa #9
Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

#10 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,478 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Guess I should start using Tour edge - I already have the regular shaft part down! B)
Driver TMag SLDR 12 Degree
Fairway woods Callaway xHot extremes
Hybrid Adams V4 23
Irons Wilson C 100 matrix studio 6.1 5-PW
Wedges SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite
wedge lies are 2 degrees flat, irons 1.5 degrees shafts 1/2" over standard
Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"
Bag. Nike Cart my best ever!
Ball Nike RZN Red

#11 skihippy

skihippy

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 528 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Handicap:15

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Wish I could carry 2/3's that ball swing.. Congrats to him for setting this phenomenal feet. Now if he would have had a Rocketballz it would have been 217 ball speed LOL ;)
Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S
Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ
Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black
Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali
Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper
Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner
Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner
[i]Ping
Redwood ZB
Ball Nike 20XI-X

#12 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 7,045 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

Granted, he can obviously hit the hell outa the ball, however look at his follow through...I mean he looks goofy..Look at his feet...Not once were his feet in the normal balanced position...Watch Sadlowski or Zubek..They finish in balance....He spends so much time swingin for the fences, I find it hard to believe that he can put a good, consistent, balanced swing on the ball...

And that's great that he has the record, however as a great philosopher(and one of my fave athletes/entertainers) said: "To be the Man, you got to beat the Man"....And Allen aint beat the Man...

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Stones Tour B330-S

RP Jacobs II

#13 Tyk

Tyk

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,447 posts
  • LocationKansas City Area
  • Handicap:6

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

I played in a scramble with a Long Drive Champion (state, national, regional, I don't know). He was stupid long off the tee, he contorted his body in the most uncomfortable appearing way and delivered everything he had straight into the ball. He appeared to be risking injury every swing. The upshot of this was we got to spend the day looking for his golf balls in places on the course I'd never visited before or since! We used my tee ball most of the day, and this was back before I even had a handicap, and I was pretty well sauced! I won the long drive prize that day, he missed the fairway! He was noticeably and ungraciously irritated by that, saying "you realize I hit it 40 yards past you, right?" Like he needed or wanted or would have played the Lynx driver that I didn't even want or play!

He seem vaguely familiar with irons, but he seemed perplexed by chipping and putting. It was quite the experience. I think he played scrambles just to show off his driving skills, which were incredibly long, but completely useless for playing golf!

But good for Maurice Allen and Tour Edge. Those are some incredible numbers and there is definitely something to be said for holding a world record, with a fairway wood no less!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

#14 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 7,045 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

I played in a scramble with a Long Drive Champion (state, national, regional, I don't know). He was stupid long off the tee, he contorted his body in the most uncomfortable appearing way and delivered everything he had straight into the ball. He appeared to be risking injury every swing. The upshot of this was we got to spend the day looking for his golf balls in places on the course I'd never visited before or since! We used my tee ball most of the day, and this was back before I even had a handicap, and I was pretty well sauced! I won the long drive prize that day, he missed the fairway! He was noticeably and ungraciously irritated by that, saying "you realize I hit it 40 yards past you, right?" Like he needed or wanted or would have played the Lynx driver that I didn't even want or play!

He seem vaguely familiar with irons, but he seemed perplexed by chipping and putting. It was quite the experience. I think he played scrambles just to show off his driving skills, which were incredibly long, but completely useless for playing golf!

But good for Maurice Allen and Tour Edge. Those are some incredible numbers and there is definitely something to be said for holding a world record, with a fairway wood no less!

That had to be quite the experience...The fact that the only thing that he could do in the game of golf, namely hit a driver, and on a golf course with boundaries and borders, your ball was the one that you all used, well, I'm sure that he was miserable....

Ya know Tyk, as I think about it, I'd actually pay to be a part of that foursome, just to watch him lose his sh*t...

Well Done.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

-Stones Tour B330-S

RP Jacobs II

#15 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,224 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

I played with a guy that had a 145 mph swing speed, who has gotten more control now and does long drive for Adams golf, but when he was younger, he still killed the ball but could not play golf in a state smaller than Maryland and still keep it in the state.

One time a friend of mine was playing him and the golf pro, OB was listed as the road that parallels number 10 but the fence behind it is not listed. This fence is listed as OB on 11 and 12. He hit it 50 yards past the fence. The pro said he could play it because it is not listed as OB on 10. My friend said what would happen if he had hit it to the interstate, without missing a beat he said, hit 3 wood back.:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors