TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Ball Speed World Record!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Allen Smashes Guinness World Record for Driver Ball Speed Using A Fairway Wood!

World records aren't just being broken at the 2012 Olympic games in London. Maurice Allen, professional long drive competitor, recently set the Guinness world record for driver ball speed using an Exotics XCG5 fairway wood! In the Full Swing simulator at America's Golf outlet in Orlando Florida, Allen swung an Exotics XCG5 fairway wood that bested the current record of 204 mph ball speed set with a driver. That's right he broke driver ball speed record using a fairway wood. Allen's shot produced a whopping ball speed of 211 mph. The Guinness world record for fastest golf drive with a driver was previously held by Jason Zuback who on January 1, 2007 hit a drive that generated a ball speed of 204 mph.

“Allen's shot is a remarkable feat because he beat Zuback's record by 7 mph using a fairway wood” says Andy Harris, Tour Edge Golf's PGA Tour representative. “Allen's incredible shot produced a stunningly-long 347 yard 3-wood hit with 336 yards of carry. That's longer than PGA Tour players hit their driver. It is a testament to Maurice's strength and skill as well as an endorsement of the Exotics XCG5 fairway wood as being the longest hitting fairway wood in golf.”

touredge-wr-1.jpg

To set the record, Allen used an Exotics XCG5 #3(15 degree) fairway wood with a stock regular flex Aldila RIP graphite shaft complimented with a custom Black Widow grip, and a Volvik Vista golf ball.

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5' 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed. A goal setter by nature, Maurice has aspirations to play on the PGA Tour. In the meantime, Maurice will compete in the ReMax Long Drive Nationals in hopes of setting some more records.

touredge-wr-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

Wonder how that regular shaft looks like during his swing :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5' 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed.

Unreal.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

At 30 years of age, Maurice is only 5' 8” tall and 185 lbs. but he generates an incredible 164 mph of club speed. A goal setter by nature, Maurice has aspirations to play on the PGA Tour. In the meantime, Maurice will compete in the ReMax Long Drive Nationals in hopes of setting some more records.

I think I have said it once before using Jamie Sadlowski (5'11", 185Lbs) as my example. It doesn't take being a big guy or a muscle builder to hit the ball a long a$$ way. All it takes is great swing sequence and timing.

They probably used the Regular flex shaft with his high swing speed to help generate a little extra whip at the bottom of the swing, when timed properly you can hit things stupid long... However, it is a poor idea for consistency on the course and accuracy / control. With his swing speed I am sure it had a TON of dynamic lead / Dynamic Close in the shaft at impact.

If you look up the video you will see the deviation High was Left{L} 111y and the record was Right{R} 19y. Not consistently straight that wasn't the goal at all in this situation.

When I first test hit my TE CB2 19* Hybrid on a LM it also had a R-Flex shaft in it, I hit a ton of snap hooks. Then I timed one perfectly and smack it out there 270 yards, there is no way in heck I could do that on a regular basis. Thus why I sacrifice some potential distance for stability in playing an X-Stiff.

Either way you look at it, that's a pretty dang cool thing to have happen, good for TE to get some marketing from it :)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Some of the points JM brings up beg the question of how many swings he had to take to get that timing just right. Incredible feat, regardless.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

C'mon, his average ball speed on the monitor was a paltry 201 mph...

Yikes.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

DAMN! Thats great. It makes me feel better about the recommendation I gave my uncle to give the Tour Edge Exotics a try :)

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Guess I should start using Tour edge - I already have the regular shaft part down! B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Wish I could carry 2/3's that ball swing.. Congrats to him for setting this phenomenal feet. Now if he would have had a Rocketballz it would have been 217 ball speed LOL ;)

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I played in a scramble with a Long Drive Champion (state, national, regional, I don't know). He was stupid long off the tee, he contorted his body in the most uncomfortable appearing way and delivered everything he had straight into the ball. He appeared to be risking injury every swing. The upshot of this was we got to spend the day looking for his golf balls in places on the course I'd never visited before or since! We used my tee ball most of the day, and this was back before I even had a handicap, and I was pretty well sauced! I won the long drive prize that day, he missed the fairway! He was noticeably and ungraciously irritated by that, saying "you realize I hit it 40 yards past you, right?" Like he needed or wanted or would have played the Lynx driver that I didn't even want or play!

He seem vaguely familiar with irons, but he seemed perplexed by chipping and putting. It was quite the experience. I think he played scrambles just to show off his driving skills, which were incredibly long, but completely useless for playing golf!

But good for Maurice Allen and Tour Edge. Those are some incredible numbers and there is definitely something to be said for holding a world record, with a fairway wood no less!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I played with a guy that had a 145 mph swing speed, who has gotten more control now and does long drive for Adams golf, but when he was younger, he still killed the ball but could not play golf in a state smaller than Maryland and still keep it in the state.

One time a friend of mine was playing him and the golf pro, OB was listed as the road that parallels number 10 but the fence behind it is not listed. This fence is listed as OB on 11 and 12. He hit it 50 yards past the fence. The pro said he could play it because it is not listed as OB on 10. My friend said what would happen if he had hit it to the interstate, without missing a beat he said, hit 3 wood back.:P

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I remember years ago they aired the Re/max long drivers playing an actual round of golf, i dont remember what for but it was on TV. I thought they were going to light up the course and get a bunch of eagles and birdies. Turns out they didnt play that well becuase their drives were so wild and their wedge game was not great. So overall it was fun to watch off the tee but there approach shots were not exciting to watch.

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Wish I could carry 2/3's that ball swing.. Congrats to him for setting this phenomenal feet. Now if he would have had a Rocketballz it would have been 217 ball speed LOL ;)

I wouldn't be sucked to see a Adams Fast 12, XTD, RBZ slots actually come apart at that sort of impact... I have heard the XTD exploded on some really big hitters literally. I am not sure where the failure point of pressure on the slots would show up but I am sure there is a point where all of them would fail... You don't need slots to have a really good MOI / COR on the head.

I remember years ago they aired the Re/max long drivers playing an actual round of golf, i dont remember what for but it was on TV. I thought they were going to light up the course and get a bunch of eagles and birdies. Turns out they didnt play that well becuase their drives were so wild and their wedge game was not great. So overall it was fun to watch off the tee but there approach shots were not exciting to watch.

A tour layer might not hit as long but they have something the LDA guys don't, accuracy / consistency in each of their clubs plus they can putt and have a short game.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

In the other clips, look how high he tees the ball....Pretty flat swing...I gotta try that...Flatten out my swing a little......

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

You have to be careful saying that his swing is "flat" there is not a good camera angle to determine if it is one-plane, hybrid, two-plane. Normally I just look at where the lead arm is at compared to the shoulder tilt at the top of the backswing. You can see it in this video just how two-planed he is pause it right before he makes the transition into his front leg.

from left to right: one-plane, hybrid-plane, two-plane (image bellow)

Swing+Plane.JPG

Look at his backswing! He puts the club on plane out in front of his head at the back of his swing!

Look at his backswing! He puts the club on plane out in front of his head at the back of his swing!

I think the terminology in this might be confusing me greatly because I have no clue what you are trying to say.

A swing plane really doesn't have to do with club head position at the top, that is "parallel" or "past parallel". Jack Nicklaus and John Dally have two drasticly different club positions at the top but both have a two-plane swing. I interpret "plane" and swing plane only, I interpret "flat" as one-plane / horizontal.

He goes so far past parallel that his club actually gets back on plane, out in front of him. The clubhead almost travels 360* around him He has turned so much that his hands are actually out in front of where his head was when he started the swing.

I would be interested to see how he swings the driver when he is trying to score. I don't believe there is any way he can achieve playable accuracy or any kind of consistency with this swing.

If I recall, I think in Long Drive events competitors have a fairly wide target area and get several attempts to hit it. As one would expect, the goal is distance, nothing else.

Archived