TESTERS WANTED! ×

REVIEW! - The Green Caddie

Flv02

THE GREEN CADDIE - REVIEW

DSC_0025.jpg

Introduction

For most of the amateur golfers out there, putting is an issue. Although we may try to avoid saying that we have a problem in that area, it is still there. Sure, we won't three putt every hole, but are you telling me that you do not miss those par and birdie putts that are within 5 feet? How about lag putting. Amateurs struggle with that too. We all know that distance is the most important aspect of lag putting, yet we still struggle with recognizing those distances. Well, you have nothing to worry about anymore. I am now happy to introduce the Green Caddie, made by Voice Caddie.

DSC_0024.jpg

First Impressions

When I first received word from my house that I have received a package from Voice Caddie, I thought I would open up the package and see another GPS, maybe with a few added updates that I knew they were working on. I was wrong. I opened up the package to find a small circular device that could fit in the palm of my hand. I have to admit, my first impressions of The Green Caddie were not pleasant. "Cheating" was the first word that came to mind. Yes, I could see what some of the benefits were, but I would not feel differently about the product until I brought it onto the course.

DSC_0027.jpg

Set Up/Ease of Use

The Green Caddie is a rather simple device. It is small, which makes it easy to carry around on the course, and only has one button. There are two modes. One mode is for distance. Just line the flag up with the sight on top of the Green Caddie and it automatically calculates the distance for you. The only problem with this mode is that it shows you the distance in meters. Both GolfSpy X and I tried to figure out how to change it, but we could not do it. That is one aspect of the product that holds it back in terms of performance. Having to convert each meter to 3.2 feet is not the easiest thing to do on the course when you have so many other thoughts going through your head. The second mode is for break. Lay the Green Caddie on the ground and it tells you the degree and towards which clock position it breaks. The best part about it is that it automatically changes between calculating break and distance. You do not even have to press a button. Once the Green Caddie recognizes that the angle as greater than 45 degrees, it changes to distance measuring. In addition to that, it automatically turns off after three minutes of use so you save battery life. If it were not for the meters-only distance, it would have gotten a perfect score.

Score: 8/10

DSC_0023.jpg

Effectiveness

On of the things I love about writing reviews for MyGolfSpy is the fact that if something is sent to me, I have to try it. Yes, that may seem like a pain in the neck to some of you, but it allows me to put all of my first impressions aside and see what a product actually offers to its customers. The Green Caddie is a great example of that. As I mentioned, when I first laid my eyes on the Green Caddie, I had very negative thoughts. Once I brought it onto the course, I realized how this product can help a lot of amateurs around the world. Cheating or not, this product can help a lot of golfers in their practice rounds.

As far as effectiveness goes, it does its job. When you want to read the distance, just align the flag stick within the sight on the top of the Green Caddie and it will tell you the distance in meters. When you want to read the break of your ball, you lay it on the green and it tells you. Put the Green Caddie on the spot where your ball lies and then different spots along the putt. Do that and you definitely will have a better chance of making the putt. This even works well on the practice green. Do the same thing and you will begin to train your eyes and your body to make the putt by seeing break and feeling distance. This also allows you to easily chart greens before tournaments. Take this out in your practice round and you should be ready for any putts you are faced with while competing.

Score: 36/40

DSC_0026.jpg

Longevity

Surprisingly, this is where the Green Caddie loses points. Yes, it is small and portable. Yes, it is very effective. I just did not feel like using it all that much. First off, when I would go to use it, I barely used the distance at all. Yes, according to my calculations, it was accurate. I just did not feel the need to use it. I also found myself used it to calculate break for putts under 10 feet. The farther away I got from the hole, the more work it would be to place the Green Caddie on the ground in different spots. Call me lazy if you want, but I was way too impatient for it. The other aspect that drives down the longevity score is that you can only use it for practice rounds and practice green sessions. Even if you were to use it when you play in your foursomes on the weekends, the game is slow as it is. With slow play being such an issue this year, do you really want to make the game that much slower by using this on every hole?

Score: 23/30

Value

Contrary to popular belief, the Green Caddie is going to sell for under $100. Right now, Voice Caddie plans on selling the Green Caddie for $59. Personally, I believe it is slightly over priced just because of the fact that you will not use it all of the time. If you are the type of golfer that plays in a lot of tournaments and likes to examine greens, then $59 is a good price. I just feel as though the average amateur golfer would not spend more than $35 or $40 on this.

Score: 17/20

Recap

Pros:

1. Small
  2. Lightweight
  3. Very Effective
  4. Easy to use (one button)
  5. Turns off after 3 minutes to save battery

Cons:

1. $59
  2. Only shows distance in meters
  3. Tedious when calculating long putts
  4. Can't use during non-practice rounds
  5. Don't feel the need to use all of the features all of the time

Final Thoughts

Overall, the Green Caddie did a pretty good job through testing. It is very effective, and I believe that in the right hands, it could be very a good asset to have on the course. Not only can help the high handicapper develop good green reading and distance skills, but it can also help the low handicaps get ready for their tournaments. With a score of 84, I think it is something you should definitely consider. You know yourselves better than I do. For a patient golfer, this can be a very good tool to improve.

Total Score: 84/100

*The Green Caddie is not mentioned on the Voice Caddie website yet. To visit the Voice Caddie website, please go to http://voicecaddie.net/.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I keep wanting to like this product, but the more I think about it the more I don't think I would use it. Both myself the guys I play with hold a pretty fast pace of play. It took me and a buddy about an hour and a half to play 18 today. That type of pace can't hold up using something like this.

Just seems like more of a novelty. I'd bring it out once to see how it works, then one more time to show the guys how cool it is. Then it would forever sit in my golf bag until I eventually start using it to measure stuff around the house. Even then after one use I would realize it's all in meters and that would be the last time I ever pulled it out.

Very cool concept, but not practical in daily use for me. I also don't play in tourney's though and 99% of my rounds this year were played at one course.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Finally found their website, but while I was looking I did find this one...

The Green Caddie

I'm thinking this should be the next GolfSpy review :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I keep wanting to like this product, but the more I think about it the more I don't think I would use it. Both myself the guys I play with hold a pretty fast pace of play. It took me and a buddy about an hour and a half to play 18 today. That type of pace can't hold up using something like this.

Just seems like more of a novelty. I'd bring it out once to see how it works, then one more time to show the guys how cool it is. Then it would forever sit in my golf bag until I eventually start using it to measure stuff around the house. Even then after one use I would realize it's all in meters and that would be the last time I ever pulled it out.

Very cool concept, but not practical in daily use for me. I also don't play in tourney's though and 99% of my rounds this year were played at one course.

An hour and a half for 18!?!? I bet the other players of the course love you guys constantly on their tails lol. I assume the course was empty, otherwise you would have to pass groups almost very hole!

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

• 1 month later...

While this is a neat little device just from a technology standpoint, I have to say I don't really get it's purpose. It is illegal to use during a round, so it is for practice only. If you're just practicing, what does this do for you that rolling a few practice putts at the hole won't tell you? If you had the choice of doing one or the other, using this or rolling a couple putts, surely rolling a couple putts is a far more effective use of time, as that will give you much more useful information than the Green Caddy will, you'll see double breaks right away, get a feel for green speed and grain, and get to work on your putting stroke, none of which is provided by the Green Caddy.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived