Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Nickent 7DT Hybrid review

JBones

With the RBladez, I'm also reviewing a new hybrid, as the RBladez 4I has made my old hybrid obsolete. After playing 27 holes with this hybrid, I have hit 11/11 fariways with it. It is long, straight, and by far the sexiest hybrid I have ever had in my hand.

Here's a teaser pic for you, while I'm preparing my full review.

photo (6).JPG

Always liked Nickent when it was independent. Glad to see GG is keeping the brand going....looking forward to your thoughts!

And it is dead sexy!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Anybody know if the RIP shafts are "made for" or the real deal?

They look great and are a great price now!

I can't confirm either way. On their website, it says the 7DX, which I the standard model has a RIP Theta which is a made for. For the 7DT it just says that it has the RIP Beta. It sure does look like the real thing; the only difference is that it has orange eyes, which is not made, however it looks like the orange eyes are an aftermarket "add on" (it looks like the orange may be over the green eyes), to match the color scheme of the club. It sure as hell performs like the real thing though.

• 6 months later...

Did you ever write a review for this? If not, can you post your thoughts?

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Dude, I am still loving the Nickent 3-wood I bought a couple months back....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Just curious about all around impressions. Trajectory, turf interaction, sound/feel, etc. Thanks!

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

I'm anxious to hear about those things as well - Thanks JBones

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been really busy with work. This is my favorite hybrid ever; so much so that I think I'm going to buy the new F26 3W. The stock shaft is pretty solid, but in the end, it was just giving me spin rates that were too high, so I replaced it with an Aldila DVS 70X. With the new shaft I'm hitting beautiful baby draws with perfect trajectory. I can still open the face a little and hit high soft landing shots when needed. It is very easy to hit from any lie; I use it mostly off the tee for accuracy, but it is just as good from the rough. Yesterday I had an absolutely horrible lie......210yds sitting down in thick rough and I have to play a 40yd cut around a tree that is 20yds in front of me........I hit it to the front fringe. Sound is pretty subjective, but to me, it sounds more like a solidly struck long iron than a fairway metal. Overall, I would recommend this club to anyone level of player, maybe go with the more forgiving X model for the less consistent ball striker.

Thanks for the review. I really like the look of the club, and nice to hear about the solid performance. I will troll around eBay and see if I can steal one... I'm also interested in the F26 (hit at a Dick's in the simulator and the distances compared to my hybrid in same simulator at same time were crazy long), so I might wait awhile and pick up one of those instead.

• 1 month later...

So I stopped by my local Edwin Watts this past week, and there sat a decent shape (couple of nicks around the crown that aren't visible at address) 17* hybrid with Stiff shaft. It was marked $50, and after zero haggling I checked out paying $35.

I played 18 holes and used the hybrid off the tee about 10 times, and a couple of times from the fairway. I hit 10 quality shots, and 2 so-so. The so-so ones ended up in play, just pushed out to the right. I love the sound and feel - it is muted yet crisp/solid. It's very pleasing. The trajectory is solid - a mid-high laser that stays in the air and lands softly. I was hitting this about 235 on average (carry) from the deck (no tee). I either hit a slight draw, or a little push. The shaft must be the real deal - it is not a noodle, and not harsh. I believe I was swinging it around 100 mph, and the Stiff easily stood up to my swing. I can really feel the weighting of the club and it gives me the confidence to make a full turn through the ball and not try to "hit" at it.

As a comparison, I recently bought a X-hot Pro 18* with GD Tour AD DI6 95g X-stiff shaft. $350 retail I think, $170 used at Callaway golf preowned. For me, this Nickent is head and shoulders better than the X-hot Pro. I had trouble feeling the head with the X-hot, and would either hit a pure crushed shot (50% of the time), a 145 yard fatty (25%), or an amazing hook (25%). The Callaway felt a bit harsh. I did like the trajectory on solid shots, but they were few and far between.

With the Nickent, I did not hit one large hook. I did hit a couple draws, but nothing that got me in trouble. I reached 2 Par 5's, and for fun played a Par 3 from the 240 yard tees. I hit the hill just off the left side green and ended pin high in the rough. I didn't think in a million years I would get close to that green.

Right now, maybe I am in honeymoon phase (although that did not happen with the X-hot Pro), I am loving the Nickent.

Archived