Our Sponsors

Photo

Time for a coup d'etat?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Time for a coup d'etat? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Keep it or Ban it?

1. Keep it. (14 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

2. Ban it. (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

3. Allow it for some and ban for others. (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

USGA Membership

1. Yes (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. No (17 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

3. I have been in the past but will not renew. (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

One or two sets of rules?

1. One set, I like to play by the same rules. (19 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. Two sets, one for pros and one for mere mortals. (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,284 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to desolve the political bonds bands that have connected them with another.....deriving their power from the consent of the governed....it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it.....

As I watched these two "Despots" sitting in the studio at Golf Channel yesterday talking about how "they must restore the integrity of the game" and Rich Lerner trying to nail them down as to why the change, and these slippery bastards gave no real reason other than they simply did not like it. They did admit that there is no emphirical data to say it is an advantage.

At first, I was able to see their point that they are trying to "define the stroke" and "preserving the game". "Golf is funamentally about taking the club in your two hands and swinging it." Then they had Thomas Keagle, Director of Equipment, or something, for the USGA get on there and explained what you can do. Several times saying that they did not want to "stiffle creativity" and they did not want the players to "circumvent the rule." WTF. He said. "We could talk for an hour about what is allowed." There was no thought given to preserving the game when they still allow it being anchored to your wrist, or forearm.

Then they show an April 21, 2011 interview where Mike Davis says they looked at it and it is not detrimental to the game. Now 18 months later it is an evil that must be stop.

I was so struck by the hyprocrisy of it all. They were read the quotes by the PGA President where he said he feared it would have a negative impact on the game. Mike Davis blew this off and said that there were so few people that this affected it is insignificant. Yet it is significant enough to change a rule.

Yesterday afternoon, I went out and played around with the 4 Titans of the club. I call them that because, at 6 feet tall, I was smallest guy there by at least 5 inches. The biggest guy is 6' 8" and the smallest guy is like 6' 5". They all use belly putter. I mentioned this to them and the biggest one said (but with more colorful language) that the USGA could come try and take it out of his hands if they thought they were big enough.

So this brought up this post. And I also wanted to do a poll.

The coupe d' etat I am participating in is not being a USGA member. The past two or three years I have played in a local tournament and part of the entry fee I got a US Open Cap and a USGA Membership. I will skip it next year.

Since the King is not listening to my wishes, I am not going to pay my tee tax and no USGA Membership for me.

In my :taylormade-small: Golf Bag

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 on a Miyazaki C Kua 43S

:titelist-small: 913 F 15 on a Fujikura Motore F1 S

:mizuno-small: MP FLI HI 2-4 on Project X PXv 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP53 5 on KBS C Taper Lite S

:mizuno-small: MP68 6-P on KBS C Taper Lite S

:mizuno-small:  MPT11 52 & 58 on KBS Hi Rev Wedge

:cameron-small: Coronado

:taylormade-small: Lethal

#2 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,882 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Handicap:12

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

How about a third option: Bifurcation.

I could care less what rules the tour pros play by. Us mere mortals should have a similar, but separate set of rules.

In my bag, November 2014

Cobra AMP CELL PRO 10.5˚ Stock Shaft (Regular Flex)

Cobra Bio Cell 16˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)

Mizuno MP-54 3-PW; KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)
Mizuno T4 Wedges 50˚,54˚,58˚ DG Spinner Shafts
Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist ProV1 2014 Balls

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#3 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I could care less what rules the tour pros play by. Us mere mortals should have a similar, but separate set of rules.

Done.

#4 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,882 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Done.

My bad.......I meant a 3rd option for your 1st question...... ban it for the pros, keep it for amateurs.

In my bag, November 2014

Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#5 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,238 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

My bad.......I meant a 3rd option for your 1st question...... ban it for the pros, keep it for amateurs.

Local rules can still do this. There was some talk on the radio of how funny would it be if Augusta allowed the belly putter during the Masters :)

#6 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Curious, why ban it for the pros versus simply not ban it? Does it really matter to you what putter or method someone uses? Personally, I think the claw looks stranger than the belly putter.

However, one thing that really makes me mad is that this means if you chip with a hybrid or FM or even a driver, and I have putted with a bellied driver, and a bellied wedge and every other club at some point, but these will now be illegal.

#7 Badgergolfer

Badgergolfer

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH
  • Handicap:20

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

If you arent playing in a tournament, you can play by whatever rules you want. The only question then is if you arent playing by the rules of golf as laid out by the USGA and R&A, are you really still playing golf?
Whats in my Sun Mountain C130 cart bag:
Woods: Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5*, Taylormade Jetspeed 15*, Taylormade SLDR 18*
Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0 HP 4-PW
Wedges: Taylormade TP 50*, Mizuno JPX 54-10 and Taylormade TP ATV 58*
Putter: Taylormade White Smoke Big Fontana
Ball: Taylormade Project (A)

#8 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,882 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Right...tournaments...high school teams....friendly wagers....etc....

I just think it's time to separate the "tour pro" rules from the rest of us. I'm likely in the minority with that thinking though.

In my bag, November 2014

Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#9 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Moderators
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:8.4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Right...tournaments...high school teams....friendly wagers....etc....

I just think it's time to separate the "tour pro" rules from the rest of us. I'm likely in the minority with that thinking though.

Maybe in the minority - but I'm with ya, BK.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Pro 9.5*, Aldila Tour Green shaft, stiff
FW Wood:  :callaway-logo-1:  XHot Pro 2 Deep, 12.50, Aldila Tour Green shaft, stiff
Hybrids:  :cobra-small: Baffler 170, 190 & 220, Graphite Design shafts, stiff
Irons:  :nike-small: Vapor ProCombo 5-PW, KBS Tour shafts, stiff
Wedges:  Carnahan 520,   :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 560, :nike-small: Vr SXS 56* 
Putter:  Wilson Staff Special 1 Forged, Coutour Gullane, Mati Mamo

#10 Firstkart

Firstkart

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 559 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Time for a new set of rules run by a new organisation with a new world wide competition.

Sponsored by a Network etc etc.

AJ
WITB
Driver: Ping G25
FW: TM RBZ
Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper
Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04
Putter: Watch This Space
Ball: SRixon Z Star
Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

#11 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

I find the idea of bifurcation disagreeable. It's already bad enough that the tour plays a very different course from the rest of us simply because the governing powers do not want to show the truly low scores those pros can achieve playing the same course we do. Bifurcation will only destroy the dream of being as good as we will never be. :)

I do agree with the idea of denying support to an organization that displeases you. For the same reason, one can also refuse to buy the souvenirs or attend the events supported by that organization. The same sort of thing once happened in Tennis and probably in other sports. The public votes with it's wallet and it's support can be withdrawn at any time. We are ruled with our consent and we need not consent to rules that cannot be made sensible to us.

Shambles

#12 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

I find the idea of bifurcation disagreeable. It's already bad enough that the tour plays a very different course from the rest of us simply because the governing powers do not want to show the truly low scores those pros can achieve playing the same course we do. Bifurcation will only destroy the dream of being as good as we will never be. :)

I do agree with the idea of denying support to an organization that displeases you. For the same reason, one can also refuse to buy the souvenirs or attend the events supported by that organization. The same sort of thing once happened in Tennis and probably in other sports. The public votes with it's wallet and it's support can be withdrawn at any time. We are ruled with our consent and we need not consent to rules that cannot be made sensible to us.

Shambles

I agree and this is the point I was trying to get across.

#13 Dhuck Whooker

Dhuck Whooker

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

If anchored putting is such an advantage, why doesn't everybody do it? It appears to me that just became some golfers have had success with it, those who haven't want to take it away.

If they took the "ban it approach" to all the other developments in golf that have transpired over the years, what would we have today?

"Golf spikes give certain golfers the ability to "anchor" their feet to the ground. A golfer should be able to maintain their balance without the aid of a spiked shoe. Golf is a game where the golfer must be able control their body throughout the golf swing without the aid from an artificial device like a shoe with nails...."

"The sand wedge gives certain golfers the ability to displace the golf ball from a sand trap without having the club dig into the sand. Golfers should be able to control their nerves and their hands well enough to hit the ball out of the sand without the aid of a contrived golf club whose sharp leading edge has been ground away into a rounded bottom..."

"The golf glove gives certain golfers the ability to securely grip the golf club and eliminates unwanted slippage during the golf swing. Golf is a game of feel and skill, therefore one must be able to grip the club and swing it with their bare hands instead of using an artifical device to faciliate one's hold on the club..."

Then, we have the 460cc driver head, hybrids, graphite shafts, juiced golf balls, GPS and lasers, perimiter weighted irons, etc. While these innovations were created to improve the performance of all golfers, some benefitted more than others, yet they haven't been banned.
Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Throws Right, Bats Right

Krank Formula 5 9.0 Deg w/ UST PROFORCE AXIVCORE TOUR BLACK shaft
Titleist 913Fd 3 wood w/ Diamana White 82g Stiff
Callaway X-Forged 2009 Irons 3-PW with Project X Flighted Shafts 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges 52, 56, 60 Deg.
TM Daytona Ghost Putter
Srixion Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

#14 Dhuck Whooker

Dhuck Whooker

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

If anchored putting is such an advantage, why doesn't everybody do it? It appears to me that just became some golfers have had success with it, those who haven't want to take it away.

If they took the "ban it approach" to all the other developments in golf that have transpired over the years, what would we have today?

"Golf spikes give certain golfers the ability to "anchor" their feet to the ground. A golfer should be able to maintain their balance without the aid of a spiked shoe. Golf is a game where the golfer must be able control their body throughout the golf swing without the aid from an artificial device like a shoe with nails...."

"The sand wedge gives certain golfers the ability to displace the golf ball from a sand trap without having the club dig into the sand. Golfers should be able to control their nerves and their hands well enough to hit the ball out of the sand without the aid of a contrived golf club whose sharp leading edge has been ground away into a rounded bottom..."

"The golf glove gives certain golfers the ability to securely grip the golf club and eliminates unwanted slippage during the golf swing. Golf is a game of feel and skill, therefore one must be able to grip the club and swing it with their bare hands instead of using an artifical device to faciliate one's hold on the club..."

Then, we have the 460cc driver head, hybrids, graphite shafts, juiced golf balls, GPS and lasers, perimiter weighted irons, etc. While these innovations were created to improve the performance of all golfers, some benefitted more than others, yet they haven't been banned.
Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Throws Right, Bats Right

Krank Formula 5 9.0 Deg w/ UST PROFORCE AXIVCORE TOUR BLACK shaft
Titleist 913Fd 3 wood w/ Diamana White 82g Stiff
Callaway X-Forged 2009 Irons 3-PW with Project X Flighted Shafts 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges 52, 56, 60 Deg.
TM Daytona Ghost Putter
Srixion Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

#15 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,284 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

Dhuck, I liked it so much I read it twice. Great post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors