17 replies to this topic

#1 MyGolfSpy

MyGolfSpy

GOLF INTEL

• Administrators
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

callaway-arm-lock.jpg

Odyssey®, the #1 Putter in Golf®, today announced the upcoming release of the new Metal-X™ Arm Lock Putters. Just days after the sports’ ruling bodies - the USGA and the R&A - proposed a ban on the anchoring method of putting, Odyssey introduces a product line that both conforms to the anticipated ruling and offers an alternative method of stabilizing the putter through a natural-feeling extension of the golfer’s arm.

Odyssey’s pledge to gofers has always been to push convention while respecting tradition in a quest to help them sink more putts. The Metal–X Arm Lock Putters stem from extensive exploration into the different ways Tour professionals interact with the putter.

“We have been working toward solutions for the proposed ban on the anchoring technique for some time now, and working with our Tour players, have identified an alternative and Tour-proven putting method,” said Chris Koske, Global Director, Odyssey Golf. “We’re now moving quickly to deliver the Arm Lock products that promote a stable and consistent putting stroke for both Professionals and amateur golfers.”

The Odyssey Metal-X Arm Lock Putter will be available initially in two models, the Metal-X #7 and the Metal-X DART. The specs of these two putters have been optimized through research and testing, and allow golfers to extend the shaft and grip up their lead forearm for consistent performance and control through the stroke.

“At Odyssey we were adamant about offering alternative solutions to golfers whomight change their current technique based on the recent anchoring proposal,” said Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey Golf. “We have more Tour players around the world playing and winning withOdyssey putters than any other company; we worked closely with many of them to dial in the new Arm Lock Putters to ensure they perform at the highest level.”

"Golf's Bureau Of Investigation"

The MyGolfSpy Forum:
Posted Image Find us on: Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ms1195

ms1195

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Handicap:12

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

That picture looks like the guy is using a belly putter, just not anchoring it on his belly. So this makes me think players will be able to use their same belly putters without modification, just with different technique.
WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver
Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3
Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize
Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

#3 PGA_09

PGA_09

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Handicap:0

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I made modification to a students belly putter to an arm lock style, the loft has to be changed to take into account a pretty significant forward shaft lean to stay flush to the lead arm.
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Ozik 7M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Matrix Ozik 8M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM3
Callaway X Hot Pro 20* Matrix Ozik HM2
Callaway 2013 X Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Custom
Callaway MD2 Chrome 52*, 54*, 56*, & 60* U Grind KBS Tour Custom change based on course set up
Odyssey White Damascus ix #9
Callaway Hex Black Tour

#4 ms1195

ms1195

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Handicap:12

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I made modification to a students belly putter to an arm lock style, the loft has to be changed to take into account a pretty significant forward shaft lean to stay flush to the lead arm.

Did you mean the lie angle? That makes sense, and is also probably a pretty easy way for Odyssey to rebrand a bunch of long putters they already have in stock.
WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver
Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3
Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize
Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

#5 CCGolf

CCGolf

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

This is ridiculous, the marketing machine in the golf world is out of control! Callaway is just slightly modifying their belly putters and selling them as something revolutionary. I cannot express how much this insults me as a consumer. Boo Callaway!!

#6 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Moderators

• 4,069 posts
  • LocationLobstah Country, MA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

I actually like this better than belly/long putters. I'll have to try it out once they release it.

I wonder if it'll work as a chipper with all the extra loft it'll have :)

#7 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Did you mean the lie angle? That makes sense, and is also probably a pretty easy way for Odyssey to rebrand a bunch of long putters they already have in stock.

The lie angle would stay pretty much the same (you aren't tilting it any more toward you or away from you)

The loft would need to change because you would be pushing it so far toward the hole to begin with. If you don't adjust the loft you would end up with a negative lofted head at impact.
Driver: TMaG SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Fairway Wood: 3w SLDR 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid: Cobra Amp Cell (Blue) 2/3 hybrid Diamana D+ 92 stiff
Irons: Cobra Amp Cell (Blue) 4i-GW KBS C-Taper S+ soft stepped once + 1/2"
Wedges: Scratch 1018 54° C-Taper 8i shaft S+
Wedges: Scratch 8620 58° C-Taper 8i shaft S+
Putter: Custom Odyssey 2ball
Grips: PURE Pro grips (currently light blue and regular blue)
Ball: TMaG Penta TP5 or Wilson Staff FG Tour X, Tour Preferred X
Bag: BagBoy Revolver LE in blue
Cart: 2006 EZGO TXT with modifications,

#8 PGA_09

PGA_09

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Handicap:0

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

The lie angle would stay pretty much the same (you aren't tilting it any more toward you or away from you)

The loft would need to change because you would be pushing it so far toward the hole to begin with. If you don't adjust the loft you would end up with a negative lofted head at impact. But me added almost 5 degrees of loft.

Exactly, the lie needed to be a touch more upright because the ball moved a little closer to his body.
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Ozik 7M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Matrix Ozik 8M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM3
Callaway X Hot Pro 20* Matrix Ozik HM2
Callaway 2013 X Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Custom
Callaway MD2 Chrome 52*, 54*, 56*, & 60* U Grind KBS Tour Custom change based on course set up
Odyssey White Damascus ix #9
Callaway Hex Black Tour

#9 Ice

Ice

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Handicap:13

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Awesome. I love it. Anything to circumvent the USGAs stupid ruling.

Higher loft, and a more upright lie angle would be my guess.
What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW
TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*
Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

#10 whiskey golf

whiskey golf

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Handicap:?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

I actually like that idea, curious to try it out.

Cleveland DST Launcher, 10.5*

- Stock Diamana Whiteboard, 64g, Stiff flex

PING Anser, 14.5*

- PING TFC 800F, Stiff flex

Titleist 910 H, 21* with D1 setting (20.25*)

- Stock Mitsubishi Kai'li 85g, Stiff

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro Irons, 5-GW

- True Temper Dynamic Gold XP S300, 0.5" over length

- 1 degree upright and 1 degree strong

SCOR 4161, 53* and 57* 

- Genius 12 (KBS), Firm. 0.25" over length

Yes! Golf Olivia MB

- 34*, 2.5* loft, 70* lie angle

Ball

- Titleist Pro-V1x

#11 Will Par

Will Par

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 236 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

This is an excellent business/marketing move. All the putter companies have known for weeks that this ruling was likely. Most have just been sitting back waiting for the axe to drop. Odyssey had the foresight to plan ahead and take advantage of the ruling. I personally don't have any interest in the putter, but I do like to see a company make good business decisions that turn negative news into a positive opportunity. And you never know for sure, but this could turn into a really hot item.

#12 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,938 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

Brilliant move by Odyssey. They have obviously had this in the works for quite some time just waiting for the right moment. Then when the USGA and R&A in their infantile wisdom rule that this will be legal they jumped all over it. No, I did not mispell infinite.

At the first of the year this would have been just some other type of putter. Now, Odyssey is way out front.

Odssey 1 USGA 0

Instinct Putting

2012 KBS Shaft Review

In my
:taylormade-small:golf bag today.

Driver - :titelist-small: 910 D3 10.5" / Miyazaki C Kua 39 Special Edition / Best Grips Oversized Classic Leather Grips

3 Wood - :titelist-small: 913F 15*  / Project X PXV S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT ti 18* /Graphite Design Tour ADDI S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT  21&24* /KBS C Taper S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Irons -     :ping-small:  S56 4-P  / KBS C Taper S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips
Wedge-  :callaway-small:  Forged Copper 52 & 58 & 64* / KBS Hi Rev Wedge / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Putter - :cameron-small: Coronado with BestGrip Major Leaguer Leather Putter Grip

Balls - :titelist-small:  Pro V1x
Shoes - :footjoy-small:

post-14368-079422000%201371736688.jpg

#13 Joe Golfer

Joe Golfer

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPalos Heights, IL

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

I think he means the loft, as the player is still playing the ball in middle of stance. Unless the ball was moved well forward, the club would be significantly delofted if the ball is kept in middle of stance and club is anchored against the left arm. That said, it does seem that the lie angle might also need to be altered a bit, but perhaps not that much if at all. The "Long" putter is significantly more upright in lie angle, simply because it is anchored so high. But the traditional belly putter often has similar lie angle to a traditional putter, simply because the player doesn't change his setup much: he simply anchors it in the belly while bent over.

#14 Gaijin_Golfer

Gaijin_Golfer

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH
  • Handicap:20

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Lame. Odyssey is simply trying to cash in on peoples' hysteria.
Whats in my Sun Mountain C130 cart bag:
Woods: Nike SasQuatch 10.5*, Mizuno JPX-825 15*
Hybrids: Nike Slingshot HL #3
Irons: Mizuno MX-11 4-PW
Wedges: Nike SQ Sumo AW and SW, Mizuno MP T-4 58-10
Putter: Cleveland Classic HB #1
Ball: Bridgestone B330 RXS

#15 Ice

Ice

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Handicap:13

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Brilliant move by Odyssey. They have obviously had this in the works for quite some time just waiting for the right moment. Then when the USGA and R&A in their infantile wisdom rule that this will be legal they jumped all over it. No, I did not mispell infanite.

At the first of the year this would have been just some other type of putter. Now, Odyssey is way out front.

Odssey 1 USGA 0

Both of those words are misspelled :)
What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW
TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*
Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Apr
    jfurr

Wanting to play golf this weekend... none of my golf pals are available and plus the local rates are jacked up high for Masters week... Guess I'll be lounging on the couch watching Masters Sunday instead :)

View All Updates

Our Sponsors