#1 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Greetings MGS!

Right off the bat, let me just put it out there. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to clubs. I expect 46 loft at 58.5 lie means exactly that. Unfortunately, that's not the case usually. The OEM's tend to work under pretty good tolerances but it seems like I keep getting the short end. Even the famed WRX places seem to cause me issues. Thus the solution, build my own bag top to bottom.

Now, I've been hesitant to do this previously. I don't like a lot of the component brands in terms of feel or quality and with others, while the quality is there I might as well buy a Unicorn for my wife and daughter instead (If I buy 4 dozen Pro V1's, two Unicorns that poop rainbows comes with them. Happy Days!). That is, until I meet a new brand recently. Many of you will be familiar with the name Geotech, but until recently, I wasn't. What Geotech is, is a JDM component company that makes solid quality parts and stands behind them. Furthermore, they have exacting spec's so I know what I'm getting right from the off.

This is going to be a long journey. While not every club is going to end up Geotech, a fair number are. Along with the heads will come some fancy shafts, nifty grips, ferrules, etc and some new tools. Don't expect break neck progress, but over the next year I intend to have a fully designed and built bag for me, by me to all the ludicrously exacting numbers that I want. Might not make me play any better, but I'll be happier with them and more likely to keep them around.

If you guys want to look at some of the Geotech stuff, might I suggest you head over to Fairway Golf, whom are a MGS sponsor? A fair number of the heads I plan to work with will be coming from them.

Behold mortals!!! Cast ye gaze to the dark patch of water over there and witness our Tuna, previously crippled by pathetic numbers and inexact standards, rise from the depths to the sunbelt. Watch the progress as it evolves from a Tuna, to a slight special Tuna all the way up to the mighty SUPER TUNA!

Harken fallacious standards. Your days are numbered.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#2 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,096 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:9

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

I really look forward to following your progress on this. If anything this will mentally make you play better.

#3 Walkerjames

Walkerjames

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Handicap:15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Sounds good look forward to seeing your progress.
MY BAG-
Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)
3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)
3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)
Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)
Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)
Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

#4 Blade

Blade

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Behold mortals!!! Cast ye gaze to the dark patch of water over there and witness our Tuna, previously crippled by pathetic numbers and inexact standards, rise from the depths to the sunbelt. Watch the progress as it evolves from a Tuna, to a slight special Tuna all the way up to the mighty SUPER TUNA!

Harken fallacious standards. Your days are numbered.

Well ya sure know how to paint a picture!
Posted Image

#5 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:4.6

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Good luck Tuna, excited to see the results.

I've built iron sets before, but not to any spec. My christmas list is full of fun things like a swingweight scale, tip weights and hosel brushes. I'm looking forward to trying to build up a set to my specs based off the fitting I did this fall. Should be a fun journey!
Driver: TMaG SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff Hybrids: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff Irons: 6-aw TMaG Speedblades KBS C-Taper S+ Wedges: Cally MD2 54° & 58° Putter: TMaG Spider S Slant

#6 GolfSpy Brad

GolfSpy Brad

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Moderators

• 1,298 posts
  • LocationMililani, HI
  • Handicap:16

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

+1 lol, that made my afternoon!

#7 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

I really look forward to following your progress on this. If anything this will mentally make you play better.

Agreed. I think too much and it's turning out to be as big of a problem on the course as it's an asset at work. I notice I calm down far more over the shot when I actually trust the club in my hands. This should do that.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#8 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

+1 lol, that made my afternoon!

Yeah, you guys who read this thread as I go are doomed. I am prone to violent and spontanious bouts of story fabrication. It'll be great when my daughter is old enough. She'll never be without a bedtime story heh.

#9 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

Good luck Tuna, excited to see the results.

I've built iron sets before, but not to any spec. My christmas list is full of fun things like a swingweight scale, tip weights and hosel brushes. I'm looking forward to trying to build up a set to my specs based off the fitting I did this fall. Should be a fun journey!

Looking forward to seeing your progress as well!

I'm just gathering up some of the neat bits to help out (syringe to add some head weight to some clubs, some tip weights, fun ferrules, etc)

#10 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,839 posts
  • Handicap:4.6

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Looking forward to seeing your progress as well!

I'm just gathering up some of the neat bits to help out (syringe to add some head weight to some clubs, some tip weights, fun ferrules, etc)

I've got the ferrules and irons already, still debating about which shafts to go with. I have the grips picked out, but haven't bought them yet. I just have to wait until after Christmas to start the build. I'm hoping Santa (my wife) brings me tools and tip weights I still need. That and the last thing I need is another set of irons I can't hit until March laying around :)
Driver: TMaG SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff Hybrids: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff Irons: 6-aw TMaG Speedblades KBS C-Taper S+ Wedges: Cally MD2 54° & 58° Putter: TMaG Spider S Slant

#11 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,264 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Agreed. I think too much and it's turning out to be as big of a problem on the course as it's an asset at work. I notice I calm down far more over the shot when I actually trust the club in my hands. This should do that.

I have stated this before, but feel in golf is also about how you feel when you look at not only you club at address but also when you look at your bag to pick your club. I always thought that I played better when I have a great looking set of clubs. That goes for cleanliness also. If I have a dirty club than how can I expect to hit a clean shot. I usually clean my club after I hit it, but when I pull it out of the bag, the first thing I do is check it to see if it has clean grooves.

This is also why I do not like iron covers. I like to see the heads of the irons. With my new clubs that I should have in the bag dressed up and ready to go at least by Monday, hopefully before, they will not be shinny chrome. They will be gun blue and if they get a ding in them, I will sand it out and refinish it. Black heads, black shaft, red with black trim grips, ferrules and stickers on the shafts. They are awesome.

Enjoy your creation. I certainly enjoy mine.

#12 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Handicap:12

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

A custom bag needs a custom bag. Check out Vessel golf bags and go to work!
Posted Image

#13 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Handicap:13

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

That and the last thing I need is another set of irons I can't hit until March laying around :)

Sure you do!!!!!

In my bag, October 2014

Cobra AMP CELL PRO 10.5˚ Stock Shaft (Regular Flex)

Cobra Bio Cell 16˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Cobra Bio Cell 20˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Titleist 913H 24˚, 28˚ Hybrid -
KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)

Mizuno MP-52 6-PW; KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)
Callaway Jaws Wedges 52˚,56˚,60˚ DG Spinner Shafts
Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist ProV1x 2014 Balls

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#14 GolfSpy Tim

GolfSpy Tim

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationFolsom, CA
  • Handicap:14

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Love this idea. After getting fit for the United gear, I've had my eyes opened to the idea that it doesn't need to be a major OEM to perform like I want.

I just did my own re-shaft a few months back and I'm looking forward to watching this thread for inspiration going forward. I'd love to start building some off-brand stuff for comparison.
Follow me on twitter: @GolfSpy_Tim

Or go check out my photography TimHalberg.com
Or my personal instagram Turtlehead
Or my photography instagram TimHalbergPhoto

#15 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

A custom bag needs a custom bag. Check out Vessel golf bags and go to work!

I haven't seen that one before. Cheers for that mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      04 Nov
    dadschilz

Where can I find out value of old sets of clubs??

Show comments (5)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors