29 replies to this topic

#16 GolfSpy Dave

GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 5,772 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I like the look of these a whole lot more than the previous offerings. Plus, it looks like an actual change rather than a badge change like the G5 to G10 transition.
I'd probably take a look at them. Will there be a i25 iron this year? Seems like the i20's just came out.
Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

#17 sparnar

sparnar

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 458 posts
  • Handicap:26

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

As I usually feel with PING irons, they have an ugly beautifulness to them.

Agreed!

They actually look nice for a Ping G series iron. Much better looking than some of the previous models.
In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:
Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft
Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*
TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i
Mizuno MP53 7i-PW
Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*
Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)
Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.
Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.
Bobby Jones

#18 golf-nut

golf-nut

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I just saw these at the PGA Show and liked the looks. They hit nice but not great for me. I was surprised to see how soft that black rubber pad is on the cavity as you can easily push it with your finger nail.

#19 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I just saw these at the PGA Show and liked the looks. They hit nice but not great for me. I was surprised to see how soft that black rubber pad is on the cavity as you can easily push it with your finger nail.

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

#20 golf-nut

golf-nut

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

I did and I was told for dampening. Ping has had soft medallions before maybe starting with the G2 but this was very soft.

#21 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I did and I was told for dampening. Ping has had soft medallions before maybe starting with the G2 but this was very soft.

That sounds a rather strange reason. Many manufacturers, Ping included, have long made lubs that did not require dampening. I suppose the only way for me to find out will be to get hold of one of the clubs and test it with and without the backing.

Shambles

#22 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh
  • Handicap:2

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

That sounds a rather strange reason. Many manufacturers, Ping included, have long made lubs that did not require dampening. I suppose the only way for me to find out will be to get hold of one of the clubs and test it with and without the backing.

Shambles

Golf Nut was correct, though the face back area really took a technological "leap" with the G20s. The trademarked elastomer Custom Tuning Port(CTP) was greatly refined in the G20s, supposedly giving them a much better feel. Use of the CTP dates back to the I3 irons.

The G20's CTP is described as "floating' in the back cavity, which allows for a thinner clubface, leading to more ball speed and greater distance. The primary CTP is now partnered with two other multi-material "badges," that provided the softer feel and enhanced the overall sound of the club at impact.

If you notice on the G25s vs. the 20s, the CTP badge is positioned lower behind the face. Along with improving feel, the lower positioning on the 25s also helps to lower the center of gravity & launch higher shots. The CTP aligns directly with the impact area, allowing for a lower CG and a high MOI. Support bars in the cavity stabilize the 17-4 stainless steel face to insure a solid feel and distance control throughout the set. So, the primary reasons for the multi-material badge are for enhanced sound and feel.

An asst. at my club took the badge offa the back of a Mizzy 825 Pro(He plays the 68s) and after hitting both, while to my eyes, the ball flight really wasn't that different(though he did "overdraw(his word, HaHa)" 3 of the badgeless vs. the badged 825) the sound difference certainly was audible and he said that the feel was noticably "harsher" with the un-badged iron. As this was with one of the softest forged irons in the marketplace, I would imagine that an unbadged cast G series iron would feel even harsher.

I'm thinkin that this would be the case with any "badged" iron, some more so than others.

Also, I'd be very careful who's iron ya unbadged if you're gonna try this experiment, HaHa ;-)

So this is another one of those strange but true worthless factoids, lol :)

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever
:mizuno-small:

What's Inside My Sun Mountain H2N0 Stand Bag:

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Adams Idea XTD Super LS VST Hybrid 19*, Fubuki AX 350

-Mizzy MP-68(4i-8i),TT DG TI S400, +1/2", +2*

-SCOR 43*,47*,51*,55*,59*, Genious 12 Firm +,  +1/2"

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord, Mizzy Blue/Black

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Shoes: A bunch, depends on my slacks, lol
"Sometimes I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am occasionally out of control and at times, difficult to deal with. But, if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

-Marilyn Monroe

-I just so happened to have been born the year that Ms. Monroe made this prophetic statement...RP II

#23 PGA_09

PGA_09

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Handicap:0

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'm thinkin that this would be the case with any "badged" iron, some more so than others.

Also, I'd be very careful who's iron ya unbadged if you're gonna try this experiment, HaHa ;-)

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I actually asked Roger Cleveland what the difference would be if I were to remove the badges from my new irons, he said that they would perform the same, but the sound and therefore the feel, would be a bit firmer. I am thinking about getting another 6 iron and trying it since this is the first forged club I have ever played that had anything stuck to it. I also think that I may have been told that it would alter the feel so that I would leave them on as it is the only way that the club is branded Callaway...
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Ozik 7M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Matrix Ozik 8M3
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM3
Callaway X Hot Pro 20* Matrix Ozik HM2
Callaway 2013 X Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Custom
Callaway MD2 Chrome 52*, 54*, 56*, & 60* U Grind KBS Tour Custom change based on course set up
Odyssey White Damascus ix #9
Callaway Hex Black Tour

#24 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Golf Nut was correct, though the face back area really took a technological "leap" with the G20s. The trademarked elastomer Custom Tuning Port(CTP) was greatly refined in the G20s, supposedly giving them a much better feel. Use of the CTP dates back to the I3 irons.

The G20's CTP is described as "floating' in the back cavity, which allows for a thinner clubface, leading to more ball speed and greater distance. The primary CTP is now partnered with two other multi-material "badges," that provided the softer feel and enhanced the overall sound of the club at impact.

If you notice on the G25s vs. the 20s, the CTP badge is positioned lower behind the face. Along with improving feel, the lower positioning on the 25s also helps to lower the center of gravity & launch higher shots. The CTP aligns directly with the impact area, allowing for a lower CG and a high MOI. Support bars in the cavity stabilize the 17-4 stainless steel face to insure a solid feel and distance control throughout the set. So, the primary reasons for the multi-material badge are for enhanced sound and feel.

An asst. at my club took the badge offa the back of a Mizzy 825 Pro(He plays the 68s) and after hitting both, while to my eyes, the ball flight really wasn't that different(though he did "overdraw(his word, HaHa)" 3 of the badgeless vs. the badged 825) the sound difference certainly was audible and he said that the feel was noticably "harsher" with the un-badged iron. As this was with one of the softest forged irons in the marketplace, I would imagine that an unbadged cast G series iron would feel even harsher.

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I'd conjecture that the badge is worth a couple of grams and possibly threw your swing out enough to give a more harsh feel, though I tend towards the belief that a shaft too stiff contributes more to harsh feel. As to the sound, I really have no way of speaking to that until I have experienced it myself.

I just have a dislike for these badges as they get dirty and in doing so, contribute to the aging of the club in terms of appearance. The design is very similar to the Anser which is unbadged, much as I can see from the pictures. I'm more inclined to turn away from this club because of that badge regardless that I have confidence Ping has made that club very playable.

Shambles

#25 Danno137

Danno137

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAnaheim Hills, CA
  • Handicap:9.2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Still not a fan of the offset but according to a local golf shop owner, he stills sells more ping irons than anything else.

Danno
Driver - Titleist 910D3 -RIP shaft
3-Wood - Ping I20 (14 degree) - project X 6.0
Hybrid - Ping I20 (17 degree) - project X 6.0
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 (Dynamic Gold x100)
Wedges - Mizuno T-11 (50,54,60)
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

#26 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'd conjecture that the badge is worth a couple of grams and possibly threw your swing out enough to give a more harsh feel, though I tend towards the belief that a shaft too stiff contributes more to harsh feel. As to the sound, I really have no way of speaking to that until I have experienced it myself.

I just have a dislike for these badges as they get dirty and in doing so, contribute to the aging of the club in terms of appearance. The design is very similar to the Anser which is unbadged, much as I can see from the pictures. I'm more inclined to turn away from this club because of that badge regardless that I have confidence Ping has made that club very playable.

Shambles

I would agree regarding the badges, and I don't care if it's a Ping, TMaG or Mizzy. This is just me, however I believe that it cheapens the look of the club.

Regarding Darren(the asst. pro), both the badged and unbadged Mizzy 825 Pros had the DG Tour Issue S400s, and he's a +3 who handles most of the club repairs outa our club, so not only is he a magician with the clubs(He's been the only guy who's worked on mine for the past 6 years), he's a player, and he knows his swing along with the club he's swingin, HaHa. He's the one who removed the badge, and I must say, when he was finished removing it, you'd have never known that there was a badge. It was clean. As far as his little "test," the shafts played no real role, and there was definitely a difference in the sound of the two, and I wasn't on meds that day, lol.

However, my only point was that the badges are not primarily for cosmetic purposes, and as Ping says, the CTP(their fancy, trademarked name for the badge) is a major coponent of the G20s & 25s and is critical in their performance.

Check out their literature/site, as I'm sure that they explain it better than I, HaHa

HAve a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Stones Tour B330-S

"Sometimes I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am occasionally out of control and at times, difficult to deal with. But, if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

-Marilyn Monroe

-I just so happened to have been born the year that Ms. Monroe made this prophetic statement...RP II

#27 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Still not a fan of the offset but according to a local golf shop owner, he stills sells more ping irons than anything else.

Danno

My buddy who owns the range where I hit in the winter(heated outdoor stalls) is the #2 Ping fitter in Pennsylvania and the guys that buy Ping are harder core Ping loyalists than I think Mizzy guys. I mean I love the Mizzy blade, but right now I've got the Staff Fg59 in my bag.

I don't think that a Ping player would ever put another iron in their bag, HaHa

Fairways & Greens 4ever

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Marilyn Monroe

#28 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I actually asked Roger Cleveland what the difference would be if I were to remove the badges from my new irons, he said that they would perform the same, but the sound and therefore the feel, would be a bit firmer. I am thinking about getting another 6 iron and trying it since this is the first forged club I have ever played that had anything stuck to it. I also think that I may have been told that it would alter the feel so that I would leave them on as it is the only way that the club is branded Callaway...

This is basically what Darren(the asst pro) found with the Mizzy 825 Pros. I put the specs above. The Ping rep said that the feel would be "firmer" without the badge in the G20s.

I would think that there would be myriad variables regarding removing badges and the effects on the peticular clubs. I mean metal(cast vs. forged), club size, badge size, badge location, badge composition, etc.

I can't say that I'd never play a badged iron, because performance would come first, though I don't find them appealling..

Fairways & Greens 4ever

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Marilyn Monroe

#29 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Though firmer is not neccessarily a bad thing. I mean my Staff 59s are "firmer" than my 68s, however they feel great. I mean "harsh" is a different deal. The Titleist 710 MBs, to me, felt harsh compared to my 68s, however there's an asst from Oakmont who's been a Mizzy staffer for the past 6-7 years(he played the 33s, 67s then the 68s) and he went to Titleist last year and the 710 MBs, and he loves em, so go figure, lol.

That's funny regarding Cleveland and your thoughts in him dissuading you from removing the badge. I mean there's no excuse for bullsh*ttin anyone one, however it's one thing if he's talkin to some amateur who doesn't know sh*t about the clubs or their swing, lol, however to bullsh*t a pro(if he was), well, just for the marketing angle of club identification, if I knew that for sure, hell, I'd put Titleist in my bag, HaHa

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I'd be anxious to hear what ya thought of the unbadged Cally

Fairways & Greens 4ever

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Marilyn Monroe

#30 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Danno

Danno, welcome to the forum!

Thanx for postin.

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens 4ever

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Marilyn Monroe

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors