Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2013 Farmers Insurance Open

SPY ZINGER

farmers-insurance-open.png

This is the 61st year a PGA TOUR event has been held in San Diego, beginning with the San Diego Open in 1952. For 51 straight years, the Century Club of San Diego has been the local non-profit organization for the tournament. 2013 also marks the 46th time the event is being held at Torrey Pines Golf Course and the fourth year of Farmers Insurance sponsorship of the tournament.

2013 Tournament Field

This year will feature a field of 156 players. Each player will be playing one round on the Torrey Pines' South and North Courses on Thursday and Friday. After Friday's round, the field will be cut to the lowest 70 scores and ties. The final two rounds will be played on the South Course on Saturday and Sunday.

2013 Tournament Purse is $6.1 Million

The 2013 Farmers Insurance Open will feature a purse of $6.1 million in prize money. First place money will be $1,098,000. In comparison, when the tournament was moved to Torrey Pines in 1968, the purse was $150,000 and Tom Weiskopf took home the winner's check of $30,000.

2012 Farmers Insurance Open Champion

Brandt Snedeker captured the 2012 Farmers Insurance Open with a two-hole playoff victory over Kyle Stanley. Snedeker made a par 3 on the 16th hole and Stanley made bogey for the win. Brandt Snedeker, along with Farmers Insurance Open champions Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and Bubba Watson represented the U.S. on the Ryder Cup team.

*Source: FIO Media Guide

Posted Image

My apologizes if you guys have already done this in the past...I didn't see any going at the start of the year and enjoy reading real time discussions on the tournaments. Hope you don't mind! I'll try to keep em current and post the winning witb in them too.

Good points on Phil but I've got a feeling there is going to be some more 'Phil' to the story.

Posted Image

What's with the split the rounds across the courses for Thurs/Fri but then not for Sat/Sun?

Maybe I'm weird, but it seems like it would make more sense to either stay on one course for all 4 rounds, or go 2/2 if you want to split them up.

Plus wouldn't it add a touch more drama to the final round? Instead of knowing where to miss since you just played it yesterday, you now have to play like the rest of us, where the sneaky green's keeper might have made slight changes while you're away.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

My apologizes if you guys have already done this in the past...I didn't see any going at the start of the year and enjoy reading real time discussions on the tournaments. Hope you don't mind! I'll try to keep em current and post the winning witb in them too.

Good points on Phil but I've got a feeling there is going to be some more 'Phil' to the story.

No apologies necessary, if we did it it was because no one else had started the topic. I am happy to participate in any ones topic. I just want to talk golf.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

What's with the split the rounds across the courses for Thurs/Fri but then not for Sat/Sun?

Maybe I'm weird, but it seems like it would make more sense to either stay on one course for all 4 rounds, or go 2/2 if you want to split them up.

Plus wouldn't it add a touch more drama to the final round? Instead of knowing where to miss since you just played it yesterday, you now have to play like the rest of us, where the sneaky green's keeper might have made slight changes while you're away.

They will each get to play the North Course once on either Thursday or Friday before the cut. With 156 players in the field it very crowded when they all play one course so playing two courses is common. The Byron Nelson which I have gone to many times is played on two courses. I think the players like that type of set up also because it speed up play.

Yea, no apologies needed. As long as someone does it. I'd check out the Pro's WITB thread though cuz TW's been postin the winner's bag for quite a while.

He does a real nice job of gettin it up.

No need bein redundant :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Perfect!

Posted Image

I do not know, could you tell me what is in the winner's bag on Wednesday, at least the brand, so that I know who is going to win? There are like 6 guys I want to pick on the A List and none on the C List.:lol:

At first I thought that it was raining and everyone was carrying umbrellas. But apparently those were shield to keep from getting hit by Phil Mickelson.

Cut him some slack, if he won, he'd lose over 600K.

That is true, so for every wayward shot he was actually making more money, and screwing the state of California.

RR's comment on making money and screwing the state of California with every wild bomb made my day!!!!! Thanks buddy.

My wife is inheriting some money from a relative he died in that state - I look at what taxes did to her cousin's estate and think - "Are you kidding me?" And they're going broke? With that type of income stream and tax base? Really?

At any rate was fun to watch real, full field golf on the mainland the past couple of days. Can't imagine Tiger not hoisting the trophy come Sunday.

I guess I'm wondering what Richard sees in his swing that looks flawed - looks pretty good to me although we are in agreement that its the majors that count for the Tiger - there's one club in the bag that I'm wondering about when that part of the season starts and we won't know until mid-afternoon Sunday of each major whether or not it really works. Should be exciting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think that this is Tiger's to lose, HaHa. 12/14 fairways hit yesterday. 320 yds offa the tee(Yea, he's gettin old, ;)).

That and he was nailing his wedges. That combo alone will win multiple tournaments.....and Majors

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Shoot, the only one Tiger has to fear in the top 31 is well, no one, but the sister of Nicholas Thompson, Lexi. :lol:

I watched him last week and he looked pretty good. His highlight reel took 15 minutes and that was just two days. Last year he could not putt 4 "Tiger" like days together in a row. 3 Tiger days were enough to win 3 times and contend several others. If he puts 4 days together he can whip anyone. At least in my opinion no one has come close on the men's tour.

Well he's about to come on TV - just caught the end of the IU/Mich St game - don't know if it was Mich ST being inept on offense down the stretch or IU turning it up a notch on D but that was impressive.

Now for golf -

I appreciate your answer Richard because I was watching that swing on thursday and thinking - wow!!!!!!!

I do wonder about the putter on the weekend in a major and we won't know until we know. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Tiger is in complete control of his game. Whatever your opinion is of him, it's good for this game. Better than keeping belly putters legal.

He's starting to melt down......

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

He'll still end up with the Trophy.

Most likely.

How he is -2 under after 4 holes......after playing from the wrong fairway on 3 of them......is beyond me.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

About the only fault I see with Tiger is that there is a bit more chrome on his cap for my tastes. Other than that he has looked GOOD. I guess a six shot lead with 10 left to play is actually looking GREAT. Hell, even Adam Scott could hold a six stroke lead.

About the only fault I see with Tiger is that there is a bit more chrome on his cap for my tastes. Other than that he has looked GOOD. I guess a six shot lead with 10 left to play is actually looking GREAT. Hell, even Adam Scott could hold a six stroke lead.

:)

My only comment though is it is one thing to win a regular tour event without many the best players in the world present on one of if not your very favorite course and quite another to win a major where a wayward drive or a missed putt often leads one down a slippery slope.

Resort course greens even when set for a tour event are not major championship greens and tour pin placements are not major championship pin placements either.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

:)

My only comment though is it is one thing to win a regular tour event without many the best players in the world present on one of if not your very favorite course and quite another to win a major where a wayward drive or a missed putt often leads one down a slippery slope.

Resort course greens even when set for a tour event are not major championship greens and tour pin placements are not major championship pin placements either.

My comment was geared more towards my precieved ugliness of the cap with chrome letters, but he has looked much better than all the top tiered players there. Snedecker is proving he is for real, as is Watney but DJ, PM are playing but just barely. Bradley missed the cut. Meanwhile, Tiger ugly hat and all has played very solid. So what if he is all over the course. He is maintaining the lead, other than pulling away.

How about Rickie Fowler? He shot 15 under the last three rounds. Tied for last a 7 over on the first day, and tied for 6 or so now.

I'm unable to watch the coverage but isn't this round taking an unusually long time?

Yes. Because some players finished their holes yesterday and some players stopped when the horn sounded, they started all bunched up and have never spread out. Just be glad you do not have to listen to Nick Faldo.

No one can play from outside the fairway better than Tiger - at least no one that I've ever seen Seve included. I'd say physically his game is back and better than it had been towards the end of the time when he was winning majors even -

My only question remains the putter at those key moments in a major.

I don't really care what he wears.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yes. Because some players finished their holes yesterday and some players stopped when the horn sounded, they started all bunched up and have never spread out. Just be glad you do not have to listen to Nick Faldo.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks Rick.

Posted Image

Archived