TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor Made CEO Mark King delivers an uppercut to USGA

SPY ZINGER

so let me try and express my thoughts in bullet points.

Well said.

Extemely well said.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

NO, Gents, I know that my non-renewal(36 years as a member) is insignificant, however, if enough of us say, "go screw yourself," well, maybe they'll get the message,

Good for you! And if enough other folks do the same they'll start to get the message.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The rule that must go, and most weekend warriors don't play it, is the curse of hitting a ball in the fairway, and end up in a divot. How do you get penalized for landing in a fairway??? Pros should be able to take a drop. My group plays you can roll the ball in the fairway, no huge advantages, you hit the fairway.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Here's my crazy idea of the day.

Mickelson is slowing down but still loves the game and seems to love to promote it. Perhaps when he's done, say in a couple of years, he gets stuck somewhere way up in the USGA. Then there's someone both amateurs like and Pro's seem to respect (now that's he's mellowed). Seems to want to ensure Tour players can do their thing but also speaks out regularly about how stupid somethings are for amateurs (mostly course length and design).

Perhaps he could bridge the gap that seems to be splitting the USGA vs the Tour vs the amateurs?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Here's my crazy idea of the day.

Mickelson is slowing down but still loves the game and seems to love to promote it. Perhaps when he's done, say in a couple of years, he gets stuck somewhere way up in the USGA. Then there's someone both amateurs like and Pro's seem to respect (now that's he's mellowed). Seems to want to ensure Tour players can do their thing but also speaks out regularly about how stupid somethings are for amateurs (mostly course length and design).

Perhaps he could bridge the gap that seems to be splitting the USGA vs the Tour vs the amateurs?

How about just not making dumb rules?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

How about just not making dumb rules?

That requires a decision maker who understands what qualifies as "dumb" for both Pro's and Amateurs. The current group does/does not seem to have a grasp on that depending on who you talk to. Many think the belly ban ban is dumb, many others don't and a third group didn't choose but wanted the reasoning behind the choice.

Thus, clear the slate and bring in someone's that respected for their thoughts on both side of the game, who's willing to have discussion and make public the process and reasoning to it's members, yet make a choice either way. My crazy theory is he could do that. The current group can't.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

That requires a decision maker who understands what qualifies as "dumb" for both Pro's and Amateurs. The current group does/does not seem to have a grasp on that depending on who you talk to. Many think the belly ban ban is dumb, many others don't and a third group didn't choose but wanted the reasoning behind the choice.

Thus, clear the slate and bring in someone's that respected for their thoughts on both side of the game, who's willing to have discussion and make public the process and reasoning to it's members, yet make a choice either way. My crazy theory is he could do that. The current group can't.

They might be able to get Vijay to be the interm USGA president. He may have some free time on his hands, or is it hooves. :lol:

Since he has used both he can see both sides of the issue, especially in the $9000 blinking lights he sleeps under.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Well said T.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

• Two sets of rules would force so called "serious" golfers to stop looking down their noses as the recreational guys trying to have fun (incidentally I've found that anybody who frequently uses the phrase "seriously golfer" is almost always a serious *******). You want to grow the game? Get rid of the arrogance.
  • The rules as written are impractical for weekend play. Return to the tee after a lost ball? At 10AM on a Saturday on a crowded Muni? No f'n chance. Let's make the stakes one color, stroke is enough of a penalty. The distance piece punishes everyone else on the course. It makes sense on tour, but not for most other situations.
  • Bifurcation already exists. I can't wear metal spikes. Pros can. I can wear shorts. They can't. I can take a cart. They can't. I can use a ragnefinder or GPS, they can't. PGA Pros have galleries and search parties - essentially a perpetual forecaddie to help them find the ball - the average guy gets to eat the stroke. That's hardly a just and equal application of the rules.There's a serious case of denial here.

These three bullets (plus that divot rule) should be written in petition form, circulated, signed and shipped to the powers that be at the USGA. Might want to leave the "serious *******" comment out - not sure how that would be received at HQ.blink.gif

We play a different game from the pros. If the standard of "what any reasonable man or woman would conclude" would apply - it's ridiculously obvious there are two completely different games here, and there should be two different sets of rules. Any USGA sanctioned event, pro or amateur, can use the "strict" rules, while the rest of us can play by the "regular" rules - like you say, we do anyway....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 3 months later...

Interesting interview with Taylor Made CEO, Mark King today from Orlando. King wants the golf industry to declare Jihad on the USGA and develop a new set of rules to grow the game. Sounds like they'll still manufacture long putters and he's not going to give up his own gamer either. From this interview, I left with the impression they may even start offering an entire non-conforming line. Started to sound a little bafoonish when he suggested players would snub USGA events in protest of the governing rules for these tournaments. Come on Mark-O you lost me there. The US Open? Have a read:

http://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young/2013/january/taking-a-stand

Looks like The non-conforming line is on the horizon.

http://geareffectgolf.com/golf/taylormade-adidas-golf-coming-with-bunny-slope-clubs/

Callaway tried and failed with this years ago. Maybe TM can do it better? What wins on Sunday, sells Monday. Not sure what to think about this.

I mean, there are already non-conforming balls out that allow you to hit straight as an arrow or longer, and they aren't flying off store shelves.

Can TM market this right and turn it into sales? If any company can, it's them.

Posted Image

Archived