#1 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,504 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

UDT6.png

MyGolfSpy's 2013 Ultimate Driver Test (Coming Soon)

Attention Fellow Golf Spys: This is happening!

Although we've been hinting at...and discussing in another thread, consider this the semi-Official Announcement that MyGolfSpy will be putting the hottest drivers of 2013 to the test, and head to head (providing a given manufacturer is willing to send them).

We're not spilling all the beans yet, but what I can say is that this will be the most intensive, and extensive test we've conducted to date. I will eventually provide more information on both the testing procedures and scoring.

Here's an excerpt from the invitation I sent to each OEM (slightly modified based on the current product offerings):

On behalf of MyGolfSpy I would like to extend and invitation for Company Name to participate in our 2013 Driver Test. We fully expect that this test will be the most comprehensive, data-driven club test conducted by anyone this season.

Our test panel consists of 6 golfers of differing ability levels. Launch monitor testing will take place over several days with each tester hitting each driver on multiple occasions.

Each participating manufacturer is invited to send 1 model of your choosing from the current product lineup. Pro/Tour heads from the same series will be considered to be of the same model.

To participate in our test we ask that you provide drivers with the following specifications:

7.5°-8.5° (8.5° preferred) X-Flex - Pro/Tour Head where applicable
9.0°-9.5° (9.5° preferred) S-Flex - Pro/Tour Head where applicable
9.0°-9.5° (9.5° preferred) S-Flex - Standard Head (disregard if no pro/tour option exists)
10°-10.5° (10.5° preferred) R-Flex
11°+ (12° preferred) R-Flex

Drivers should be of standard length and configured with "stock shafts" (any configuration available for off-the-rack retail purchase is acceptable).

Where multiple stock shaft options are available, we'll be happy to make recommendations based on our previous experience with our testers.

The invitation has been sent to 17 different manufacturers (the last few went out only moments ago). At this point we're not disclosing any more than we already have about who has been asked to participate. I'm sure you can make an educated guess here or there.

Although invitations were sent less than 24 hours ago, we've already received responses from 7 manufacturers, and each of those has agreed to participate.

As GolfSpy Matt and I are fond of saying, there's BS and then there is product in hand. Until it's the latter, it's the former. Point is...not everyone always sends what they say they will. To that end, as I did with the Ultimate Fairway Wood test, I will reveal the participants as the product arrives for testing.

Stay Tuned...and as always, feel free to ask any questions you may have.
MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#2 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Everyone who is excited about this test should start sending T boxes full of aspirin and/or his adult beverage of choice. Massive headache does not begin to describe what this test is going to be.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#3 whiskey golf

whiskey golf

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Handicap:7.3

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

This sounds like an awesome test but good luck with all that hitting.

Cleveland DST Launcher, 10.5*

- Stock Diamana Whiteboard, 64g, Stiff flex

PING Anser, 14.5*

- PING TFC 800F, Stiff flex

Titleist 910 H, 21* with D1 setting (20.25*)

- Stock Mitsubishi Kai'li 85g, Stiff

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro Irons, 4-GW

- True Temper Dynamic Gold XP S300, 0.5" over length

- 1 degree upright and 1 degree strong

SCOR 4161, 53* and 57* 

- Genius 12 (KBS), Firm. 0.25" over length

Putter: One of my heel shafted or bullseye style putters

Ball

- Titleist Pro-V1x

#4 Walkerjames

Walkerjames

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Handicap:15

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I can't wait!
MY BAG-
Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)
3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)
3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)
Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)
Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)
Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

#5 ANGRYGOLFHULK

ANGRYGOLFHULK

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Handicap:4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

good luck to everyone who ia chosen...get those swings in shape!!!!!
Twitter @angrygolfhulk
Instagram angrygolfhulk Driver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff 3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* Stiff Hybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz Reg Irons 6-Gap Rocketballz Reg SW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60* Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33" Back up irons- Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

#6 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 3,918 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:9

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Video documenting this experience could be gold. Thanks for going through all this for little old us guys.

#7 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:12

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

Equipment journalists have it easy, the launch monitors tell the story. It's hard work looking good enough to wear products you test. But that aside, I can't wait to see this one!!

An endeavor like this takes a considerable amount of work and coordination. I look forward to the results and thanks for putting this together.
Posted Image

#8 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,846 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Handicap:13

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

An endeavor like this takes a considerable amount of work and coordination. I look forward to the results and thanks for putting this together.

X2 Well said.

In my bag, July 2014

Cobra AMP CELL PRO 10.5˚ Stock Shaft (Regular Flex)

Cobra Bio Cell 16˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Cobra Bio Cell 20˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Titleist 913H 24˚ Hybrid -
Diamana S+ - (Stiff Flex)

Titleist 913H 28˚ Hybrid - Diamana S+ - (Stiff Flex)
Mizuno MP-52 6-PW; KBS Tour Shafts (Regular Flex)
Callaway Jaws Wedges 52˚,56˚,60˚ DG Spinner Shafts
Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist ProV1x 2014 Balls

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#9 Blade

Blade

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,505 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Are ya done yet? Are ya done yet? Huh? Huh? :D
Posted Image

#10 Blade

Blade

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,505 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Just kidding. Really looking forward to this one. You're setting a pretty high bar for sure this time!
Posted Image

#11 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:12

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

I predict RAZR Fit X to be the lowest spin but the Covert will be the most desirable among testers.

Edit: That's if Callaway sends it, but I digress.
Posted Image

#12 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,846 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I predict the Covert Tour to be lower spinning than any driver that's tested (least that's my results from all of the ones I've hit thus far. That sucker goes low and spins even less).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 430 12* (w/ toe screw) w/ Project X Handcrafted LZ16 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade SLDR TS 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 18* (bent to 17*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Mannkrafted Widebody Rattler 34", 71* lie, 4* loft

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#13 Will Par

Will Par

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 236 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Seventeen manufacturers, multiple drivers with different lofts and shafts, six testers, launch monitor data... That's going to be one very large spreadsheet. Good Luck. I can't wait to see the results.

#14 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,504 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Heard back from another company today, bringing the total commitments to 8. A few of the bigger names and a few smaller ones as well still out in the wind. My guess is we won't get all 17, but I believe 12-14 is where we'll shake out. My guess is that despite all the talk about "driver x" being as good or better than anything else on the market, there are some, when asked to step up and give us the opportunity to prove it, will likely pass.
MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#15 GolfSpy MBP

GolfSpy MBP

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 3,918 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Handicap:9

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

12-14 would still be quite impressive. Hell I can live with 8!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      29 Aug
    Dhuck Whooker

Spent this afternoon in a Golf----- checking out the equpiment. Can't afford to buy a bag of tees, so all we can do is dream. Used to do this in sporting goods stores when I was 12 , too. Now I'm 54. Nothing was really changed. All this great stuff and no money to buy it.

Show comments (5)
  • Photo
      08 Aug
    HackHawk

Why do manufacturers put an iron equivalent on hybrids when the distances seem so much greater than irons. Surely it'd be better to just give lofts. Incidentally, perhaps irons should have degrees of loft on them instead of numbers too!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors