Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Once again I have it on pretty good authority that another announcement will be made tomorrow morning.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Can't wait to see the results. I only wish I could test 17 different drivers with you guys! Great job as always guys coming up with groundbreaking testing procedures... B)

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Our 4th Official Entry

Adams Speedline SUPER LS

Adams-SpeedlineLS-Driver-0.jpg

Adams-SpeedlineLS-Driver-1.jpg

Adams-SpeedlineLS-Driver-3.jpg

Adams-SpeedlineLS-Driver-4.jpg

Adams-SpeedlineLS-Driver-1-2.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

By Golly, I do believe we have a shootout!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

Just because I love coming back to this thread, here's some random stuff related to the upcoming test

Of the 17 companies invited, 12 have indicated they plan to participate.

2 are now status "pending" (for whatever that's worth)

3 would appear to be avoiding us (multiple emails and in some case phone calls as yet un-returned). We're not done trying.

The last time we compared drivers head to head (Adjustable drivers, July, 2010), 100% of the drivers in that small field were black. Things sure have changed.

I'm told more product is on the way so I expect we'll have more announcements next week.

X2 Well said.

Agreed! Thanks for all your time and effort put into this.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• SPY VIP

The 5th confirmed entry arrived just about a half an hour ago. I have a feeling that even though it's not from one of the biggest names in golf plenty of you are going to be very curious to see how it performs.

PowerBilt Air Force One Air Foil DF

AirForceOneDF-0.jpg

AirForceOneDF-1.jpg

AirForceOneDF-2.jpg

AirForceOneDF-3.jpg

I for one would love to see a smaller company have a driver that is just as good if not outperforms a major OEM. I for one could care less what type of club it is as long as it fits me and plays well. Will be interesting to see if this test shows that the smaller companies produce a product just as good as the big boys.

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

• SPY VIP

Very intrigued T - are you able to say what the shaft they gave you on the AFO is, or do I have to wait to find out ;)

This match up is going to be very interesting!

Looks like GraphiteDesign G-Series in the standard model and Fujikura Motore in the Tour heads.

• SPY VIP

Just a quick update on where things stand right now. Don't panic if if we've only got 5 drivers listed in this thread. The deadline for response was last Friday (2/15)...and as we generally need to do, we bumped it out a few days to give ourselves opportunities to chase down a response. All drivers should be in by the middle of next week (plus or minus (probably plus) a few days).

Here's the brief recap of what we have so far:

• Nike VR_S Covert
  • Mizuno JPX-825
  • Callaway RAZR FIT XTREME
  • Adams Speedline LS
  • PowerBilt AirForce One Air Foil DF

These are just the beginning. Assuming everyone delivers, and barring any last minute additions, the final field will be 14 drivers. 14/17 isn't bad...and it's better turnout than I expected...again...assuming everyone delivers.

We still aren't revealing who is in, who declined, and who ignored (repeatedly), but that info will be shared once we have all the inventory.

No surprises that I'll continue to update this thread as new drivers arrive, but in the meantime...if there are any questions at all about the test please do ask.

We want you to ask questions about anything related to the testing process.

T,

I have to ask, did you guy's approach Hireko at all?

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

T,

I have to ask, did you guy's approach Hireko at all?

Sorry (only a little) to be evasive, but I'm not commenting on any specific companies until all product has arrived. Once that happens we'll be happy to discuss who was invited, who wasn't, who politely declined to participate, and who ignored us completely.

• Nike VR_S Covert
  • Mizuno JPX-825
  • Callaway RAZR FIT XTREME
  • Adams Speedline LS
  • PowerBilt AirForce One Air Foil DF

NIce list so far. PowerBilt is an inspired choice - be interesting to see how it does, especially following your review in what, 2011?. What brought you there?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

NIce list so far. PowerBilt is an inspired choice - be interesting to see how it does, especially following your review in what, 2011?. What brought you there?

Quite frankly, PowerBilt was an easy choice. As you mentioned, the original AFO tested very well for us waaaaay back in 2011. X and I had mentioned several times in our annual planning conversations something along the lines of "you know, we really need to do another PowerBilt", but it never materialized (that's on us...PowerBilt has always been extremely receptive to working with us).

Fast forward to our fairway wood test...having seen the original thread, the PowerBilt guys reached out and asked if they could be included in that test.

Having never done a test at that scale, and knowing there would be hiccups (not nearly to the extent we had them) we decided to limit the field. Out of the gate with a big one like that we also felt it was important to focus on the names most people knew. Unfortunately that meant limiting the field.

On the positive side the OEM response was greater than expected. On the negative side, it meant we had zero space for less well-known companies like PowerBilt.

With drivers, the testing process is actually less complicated (drivers you hit for distance...practically speaking, you're seldom aiming for a flag at a very specific distance). That simple detail allows us to not only be more thorough in our testing, but much more inclusive as well.

So to not make a short story any longer than I have, when we put together the list of invites, based on past experience with the product, the response from guys like you to the original review, and the occasional questions about when we'll test more of their product, PowerBilt found its way on our list as quickly as Callaway, Nike, and the others we've listed so far.

On the positive side the OEM response was greater than expected. On the negative side, it meant we had zero space for less well-known companies like PowerBilt.

Love the irony -- 40 or 50 years ago PowerBilt Citations would have been at the top of everyone's list. What's old is new again.

Great job - really looking forward to this one!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sorry (only a little) to be evasive, but I'm not commenting on any specific companies until all product has arrived. Once that happens we'll be happy to discuss who was invited, who wasn't, who politely declined to participate, and who ignored us completely.

No worries. That will be an interesting post.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The 5th confirmed entry arrived just about a half an hour ago. I have a feeling that even though it's not from one of the biggest names in golf plenty of you are going to be very curious to see how it performs.

PowerBilt Air Force One Air Foil DF

Now we are smoking! I am still gaming my AFO, just with a different shaft......and now you can order shaft upgrades!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

You asked...we answered. I know this latest addition is going to get some of you very excited. As I said at the outset, we wanted to be as inclusive as we possibly could be in this test. And even though it runs contrary to his absolute belief in custom fitting (he's right), we're excited that Tom Wishon agreed to participate.

Wishon Golf 919THI

Wishon919THI-0.jpg

Wishon919THI-1.jpg

Wishon919THI-2.jpg

Wishon919THI-3.jpg

Archived