TESTERS WANTED! ×

Xikar HC Series Habano Squared Robusto- REVIEW!

Flv02

Xikar HC Series Habano Squared Robusto

An Official MyGolfSpy Cigar Review

D97586FC-C5A0-4828-A57B-C3CF309C1CDB-10955-00000515912398D6.jpg

Specifications:

Origin: Nicaragua

Size: 5 x 50

Strength: Medium to Full Bodied

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano 2000

Filler: Sumatran, Nicaraguan, Honduran

Binder: Sumatran, Nicaraguan, Honduran

Price: $6.75

This article is intended for an audience over the age of 18. I, nor MyGolfSpy, promote the smoking of tobacco by minors in any way, shape, or form.

Introduction:

That's right ladies and gents, this is a cigar review. Cigars and golf go well together, and most of you know that. After looking at some excitement on the forum involving cigars, and then looking at the passion I have for cigars, I decided to give this a shot on the website. I contacted many different companies and Xikar, the famous cigar accessory producer, decided to give MyGolfSpy a shot with their new cigar. Their cutters and lighters are used by most cigar lovers across the globe. If you happen to be smoking on the course, and you ask your buddy for a cutter or a lighter, chances are it is a Xikar. Seriously, take a look next time. If he knows anything about cigars, I can almost guarantee it. Between the high quality and amazing warranty, there is no reason to go to anyone else. Yet, many people fail to realize that they have had a lot of success with their cigars recently, and that is where MyGolfSpy comes in. Back when they released the HC Series, their Colorado Belicoso earned a 92 rating in Cigar Aficionado and was considered one of the Top 25 Cigars of the year. For all of you who are new to cigars or just read the label of the cigar when someone gives it to you and nod your head as if you are impressed when you have no idea what it is (you know who you are), I am here to tell you that a 92 rating and Top 25 Cigar honor by Cigar Aficionado is a HUGE deal. Xikar is devoting a lot more resources to cigars, and they definitely should be doing that. From my experiences, I can tell you that the success that they have had in the recent past with their cigars is continued with their HC Series Habano Squared. This box-pressed cigar (meaning it is pressed into the box, giving it a square shape) is definitely well made and easy to smoke, providing you with different types of flavors, from nutty and woody flavors to hints of spices. It is truly an enjoyable smoke, and it is definitely one of those cigars that has the powers to relax you after you have s***ked a couple of shots in a row, hit a fat chip shot, and then three-putt. Yeah, it's that good.

The Testing:

Alright, now it is time to get serious. Since this is the first official MyGolfSpy cigar review, I am going over the review process. I was kindly sent two cigars by Xikar. When I received these cigars, I immediately stored them into my humidor which consistently has an average humidity of 67.5%. I smoked the first one in normal outdoor conditions after letting it mature for around two weeks. Then, I let the other mature for around a month and a half and I smoked that indoors (while watching the BCS Championship game), where temperature and wind could not be a factor. I graded the cigar on appearance, draw/smoke, flavor, and value to determine a number out of 100. I made sure the numbers were consistent and then wrote the review.

I just want to say that I am very excited about this new part of the website. It is something that I am very passionate about, and I know that many readers are too. I just hope that you, the readers, enjoy these reviews as much as I have enjoyed creating this whole process.

F5150597-BB08-4EAC-8FF5-151312566536-10955-0000051594164088.jpg

Appearance:

This is one beautiful looking cigar. No, I do not mean the same beautiful as the cart girl on a nice weekend afternoon. Beautiful as in these cigars are handmade. It is very smooth, with some being as close to vein-less as you can get. It is just an example of great craftsmanship. The wrapper is a nice brown color that makes it very appealing to the eye.

Score: 14/15

Draw/Smoke:

The draw is perfect on this cigar. It is truly effortless, but you are still able to feel the smoke coming in. That is one problem that I have come across in the past with cigars that have not been made well, and you all might have come across this at one point. Don't you hate it when you take a draw on a cigar, and it is easy, but you don't feel like there is any smoke coming into your mouth? It's sort of like sucking into a straw, and you end up with a terrible taste in your mouth. THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH THIS CIGAR. It is perfect. The amount of smoke you get in your mouth is impressive too. Easy Draw=More Smoke=More Flavor=Perfect Score.

Score: 25/25

Flavor:

As with most cigars, the flavors in the Habano Squared are complex, which is why I am going to split the flavor into each third of the cigar.

6381CF4E-6403-4BD3-BB66-1E5FD4585AB8-10955-000005159C38997F.jpg

Before I lit up my Habano Squared, I took a cold draw. It was very spicy, with a woody flavor to it. Immediately I thought I was going to be smoking a spice-filled cigar. Me, being the impatient guy that I am (and I am really impatient. Even with my golf game. Ask the other spies, it hurts my score, and caused me to almost kill a Callaway rep. Well, two Callaway reps. On the same shot.), I take one cold draw and immediately have to light the cigar. The first third of the cigar is surprisingly very smooth. I guess from the draw I was not expecting that, but I was happy I was wrong. It was woody and nutty, with spice in the background. Personally, I loved the woodiness. Combining that with the slight spice and nuttiness, which was almost like an almond, was great. I'm not saying it was like chewing on an Almond Joy, but it was a great flavor for a cigar. It was definitely not full bodied, leaving it mellow and easy on the palate.

D06DA965-D42E-4111-BF27-3E83AD7A7871-10955-000005159F2B45DD.jpg

The second third of the cigar brought more of the same. While not increasing in spices, I felt like I tasted more of a fruity flavor in combination with that woodiness, which was interesting. That fruitiness came across my palate once or twice during that first third, but I really started to taste it now. It substituted that nutty flavor in the beginning.

FB0B4E82-2BC3-43B3-89D4-B61C530D7E55-10955-00000515A1A6DC3A.jpg

The final third was smooth. It was more of that woody flavor combined with an earthiness that made it very easy to smoke. I actually smoked it until I burned my finger. That probably was not the smartest thing in the world to do, but it was worth it. I did not want that cigar to end. Combine that with the fact that Notre Dame was losing in the National Championship game and I was a very happy person (sorry, Fighting Irish fans).

749891CB-08F2-4EC2-9F8F-46C2F1AE2C2E-10955-00000515ADF10A16.jpg

Overall, it was a very good smoke. The flavors worked very well, and although it did not get a perfect score, it came close to it. Anytime you can smoke a cigar until the nub means there is something special about it, and that is what I saw here.

Score: 32/35

Value:

To me, value is a very important characteristic of cigars. Trust me, I know what expensive cigars taste like, and there are aspects of them that put them above the rest. A couple of my buddies gave me Davidoffs for my birthday, and there is a difference between them and a $7.00 cigar. Although I have experienced the different flavors of expensive cigars, I want cigars in my humidor that offer me a great value, and trust me; there are a lot out there. Just because my humidor is not filled with Alec Bradley Prensados, which was the Top Cigar in 2011, does not mean that all of my cigars are bad. I know what I like and have found cigars from the best names in the business that give amazing flavors at a good price. That being said, the $6.75 Habano Squared is one of those cigars. It offers great flavors for under $7.00 a stick. With that, you are also getting more than an hour of smoking. I smoked this for a whole half of a football game because of the slow burn. With that, it gets a very good score.

Score: 23/25

Total: 94/100

The Xikar HC Series Habano Squared is an excellent cigar and a great value for everyone. It was a great start to the cigar section of the website, and I hope that products like this keep rolling in. To learn more about what Xikar has to offer, make sure you visit their website at http://www.xikar.com.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Great review !!!!! maybe it is time for me to "re-visit" the Habano 2000 wrapper. Was not a big fan when this Hybrid leaf was first used to wrap a cigar, Circa H.Upmann (if I recall correctly. Box pressing has come a long way, when it started it was very frustrating when the cigar tunneled in the middle causing the cigar to smoke hot, ruining the the cigar.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived