TESTERS WANTED! ×

What Golf Rule Would You Eliminate?

GolfSpy_X

Spike marks - you can argue all of the other ones but the spike mark one is universal. Is there anyone who understands why this rule exists?

I used to feel this way about fairway divots - the problem is there are too many gray areas - Is this a divot? You can see the arguing and posturing now. Look at it this way - you'll catch plenty of good lies where you shouldn't be - the rough, much of the time in a fairway bunker - these good breaks more than offset that rare time that you got stuck in a fairway divot.

I'd appreciate the Red stake rule for the sake of pace of play but understand the other side of that argument -

Spike marks are a lay down.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 5 months later...

Most times if I have a rules problem on the course, I just ask the guys I am playing with, example would be being I the middle of the fairway, ad being in a spt where it's nasty but not GUR, I just say hey, okay if I take relief from this spot here, especially since we don't always get to play on prestine courses like the pros. Tourney end and for money could be a problem, but everyday rounds should be fine.

I also agree, just hit the provisional if you have any doubt, usually someone you are playing with knows the course and shoud let you know of potential hazards and tell you that you should play a provisional.

Rules to remove, the divot or poor grass in the middle of the fairway. You should be rewarded for hitting the short grass not penalized, pro or amateur.

Rule to add, if you are playing with an idiot, use a 5 iron, and hide him in the woods.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 months later...

The "HD" rule. Noone should be allowed to call in period. You cannot go back in any other sport, none, and overrule an official ruling or change the outcome after the game has ended.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I agree %100 with this one, it's such BS when people get penalized for stuff after the fact.

• 10 months later...

Anchoring.  Isn't even officially a rule yet.

Can't wait to hear weekend warriors, JimBob and BillyBob, arguing because BillyBob's counter-weighted 39" putter is touching his beer-stained Nike golf shirt the whole time he three-putted, therefore he is anchoring!!!!  Ahhhh!!!

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

• 2 weeks later...

The "HD" rule. Noone should be allowed to call in period. You cannot go back in any other sport, none, and overrule an official ruling or change the outcome after the game has ended.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER !!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I don't think that the "HD" rule is an actual rule but a call made by a ruling official based on facts presented before the committee?

Just as is a member of the gallery saw an infraction by a player in the woods and reports it to the committee to be acted upon.

I think a few rules could or should be changed. But... here's my take on rules in general. Especially for the Tour Pros. It's called; learning some rules. As we all know the rules of golf are as much a part of the game as hitting the ball. When I become head of the USGA I'll prepare a list of 15 of the most common rules. All tour players have to know these. During a tournament each player and their caddie have to make the call on these 15 common rules. Also during a tournament each player may only ask for an official ruling 2 times. Should a player require a third Official ruling then it's at a cost of 1 shot penalty.

Players on Tour should know the most common day in day out rules. That's what comes into play 90% of the time. Heck Rory McIlroy even admitted on TV a while back that he doesn't know the rules and relies on the Officials to tell him. That's BS.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

I think a few rules could or should be changed. But... here's my take on rules in general. Especially for the Tour Pros. It's called; learning some rules. As we all know the rules of golf are as much a part of the game as hitting the ball. When I become head of the USGA I'll prepare a list of 15 of the most common rules. All tour players have to know these. During a tournament each player and their caddie have to make the call on these 15 common rules. Also during a tournament each player may only ask for an official ruling 2 times. Should a player require a third Official ruling then it's at a cost of 1 shot penalty.

Players on Tour should know the most common day in day out rules. That's what comes into play 90% of the time. Heck Rory McIlroy even admitted on TV a while back that he doesn't know the rules and relies on the Officials to tell him. That's BS.

It really is.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Anchoring.  Isn't even officially a rule yet.

Can't wait to hear weekend warriors, JimBob and BillyBob, arguing because BillyBob's counter-weighted 39" putter is touching his beer-stained Nike golf shirt the whole time he three-putted, therefore he is anchoring!!!!  Ahhhh!!!

Ya got something against beer?  :D

• 1 year later...

I think the stroke and distance would be a good one to change.  It would help speed up play 

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I'd ditch the wind moving a ball rule. But let's first ask Billy Horschel what he thinks about it?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ya got something against beer? :D

Sorry it took 2 years to get back to you on this...

I love beer!!! Even if it is on my shirt, although it should have made it to my mouth, wasted beer is a tragedy.

But anti-anchoring era is here, it is going to be interesting, if somebody tries to putt like Langer in my golf league, wow, will there be whining.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I'd get rid of the grounding club in a bunker rule.

Sent using the MSG app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

• 1 month later...

I wish the PGA would start letting the tour caddies/pro's use range finders...I think it would speed up the game for TV a bit......I agree w/ many of the other suggestions on here.......I like a drop for a lost ball instead of re-teeing also, the pros have 15 people watching/looking for their ball, I've hit balls many times (especially in the fall w/ leaves on the ground), that were just off the fairway and couldn't be found

Archived