Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Adams Speedline Tech Driver Adapter

I was one of the lucky winners of the Adams Speedline Tech Driver giveaway back in the fall. I've played a few rounds with it and have been alternating between it and my R11. I went to the range last month to do a comparison session and about half way through I hit one a little to close to the hosel. The shaft snapped about an inch away from the adapter, and the head went flying down the range! I trotted out to pick up the head, which seems to be okay; needless to say the comparison was over.

I got a hold of Adams and they recommended taking it to a local authorized retailer to set up a return for repair. However, I'm a little worried that the cost to repair may be more than I want to spend. I have experience installing adapters into driver shaft (i.e. my R11), but I've never removed one before. Does anyone have any experience with removing the Adams adapter? I've seen some threads on boards talking about other adapters, but I didn't know if there were any major differences in removal.

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

I was one of the lucky winners of the Adams Speedline Tech Driver giveaway back in the fall. I've played a few rounds with it and have been alternating between it and my R11. I went to the range last month to do a comparison session and about half way through I hit one a little to close to the hosel. The shaft snapped about an inch away from the adapter, and the head went flying down the range! I trotted out to pick up the head, which seems to be okay; needless to say the comparison was over.

I got a hold of Adams and they recommended taking it to a local authorized retailer to set up a return for repair. However, I'm a little worried that the cost to repair may be more than I want to spend. I have experience installing adapters into driver shaft (i.e. my R11), but I've never removed one before. Does anyone have any experience with removing the Adams adapter? I've seen some threads on boards talking about other adapters, but I didn't know if there were any major differences in removal.

The main issue is whenever you heat up those hosels, they lose some paint and become a bit uglier. Since you obviously don't care about the shaft at this point, it's fairly easy. All you need is a butane torch and pliers.

Start by cutting off the ferrule. Then heat up the hosel, ensuring you keep the flame moving to spread out the heat. Once you see a plume of smoke come from the hosel, get your pliers and pull out the shaft. The smoke is from the epoxy melting.

BUT, I'd start by going to the Adams dealer and seeing how much it'll cost you first before you do this.

Shouldn't really be any different between removing one clubs adapter vs a different ones. It's just like pulling a shaft from any club. Your biggest benefit to having the shaft break is that you don't really have to be careful about trying not to twist the graphite shaft, it's already broken :)

If the adapter has a plastic sleeve on it you will want to be careful that you don't heat it up too much and melt the plastic, but basically you just heat up the glue and pull it out. Use a pliers or clamp a vise grip onto the broken end of the shaft to get some leverage to pull it out.

Worst case if you don't want to do it yourself is take it to a golf shop and they should be able to pull it for a few bucks. Then just clean out the sleeve of any left over glue and gunk and install into the shaft of your choice.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Let them send it to Adams. They may warranty it. Which may be why they want you to take it to the dealer.

As for removing them, it's easy, and they provide all the materials in the wrench pack. Use the long screw they provide when using it over length. Screw it into the adapter (no head installed). Those don't have ferrules, they're one piece so don't try to cut anything off. Put the screw in it and use that as your leverage point for your puller. Heat until it moves and push it off with the puller. It's been a while since I've pulled one so I don't remember how large the screw's head is. If its too small to fit in your puller, remedy that by adding a fender washer between the adapter and screw head. That's if there's enough shaft left to secure in the puller.

If not, drill it out and install a new shaft.

But I'd let them send it to Adams first. If Adams does anything, they'll warranty it and it won't cost you a dime. If they warranty it, they'll just replace it. And if that's the case, you'll be getting a new Speedline Non-LS model.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

FWIW: Adams has been really good as far a replacing/repairing clubs that I have sent in with not a dime coming out of my pocket.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 7 months later...

Buy ONLINE store of your favorite brand in USA with Windycitycigars.com..........

. This spamming has to stop. Can't we do something about it?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived