TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lydia Ko to Turn Pro

Aotearoa_Brad

Ko to go Pro next year

lydia 1.jpg

World No 1 amateur golfer Lydia Ko has confirmed she will "definitely" turn professional next year after finishing runner-up by only two shots at the Evian Championship in France - no exact date yet, though she turns 17 in April so that may be one possibility (she'll still need an exemption from the LPGA as she's under 18 - though my bet is that wouldn't be a problem B) ).

She'a already accomplished quite a bit in her young life:

• Number 1 womens amateur
  • currently ranked 5th in Womens world rankings
  • hasn't missed a cut in 25 professional tournaments since 2010
  • top-5 finishes on 7 occasions in pro events
  • 2 wins (2012 and 2013 Canadian Opens)
  • leading amateur honors in 6 of her 7 major appearances
  • now a 2nd place in a major

So, what are the expectations on her as a pro? While I'd love for her first year as a pro to be a barnstormer, my expectation are a little more tempered than that. I'm half-expecting a quiet year next year as she gets used to the pressure of playing for big dollars.

lydia 2.jpg

Oh yeah, likely the sponsors will be lining up for her signature - potentially very marketable in both Asia and the US/Europe. I have no idea what LPGA players make in endorsements - anyone want to have a guess at what kind of $$$ Lydia could be pulling? How hard will it be for Lydia to make the change? Is the weight of expectation really that heavy of a burden?

I've only seen a little bit of Lydia Ko...and from what I can see, obviously, she is really solid. And has a great attitude. But they all do at that age. Or it seems. That would be my only concern is she keeps that attitude of hers going as i think that's why she plays so well. Time will tell.

Remember Sergio when he first came out...great attitude and lots of fun and now look at him. Although, i think it is a little different because when you're 'high' like he was your lows can be very low and miserable. As he's proven. I think Lydia Ko is generally a very level player and person with a great attitude. It will be fun to watch her ride it out. Hopefully, it's not another Michelle Wie mess..

Ko to go Pro next year

lydia 1.jpg

World No 1 amateur golfer Lydia Ko has confirmed she will "definitely" turn professional next year after finishing runner-up by only two shots at the Evian Championship in France - no exact date yet, though she turns 17 in April so that may be one possibility (she'll still need an exemption from the LPGA as she's under 18 - though my bet is that wouldn't be a problem B) ).

She'a already accomplished quite a bit in her young life:

• Number 1 womens amateur
  • currently ranked 5th in Womens world rankings
  • hasn't missed a cut in 25 professional tournaments since 2010
  • top-5 finishes on 7 occasions in pro events
  • 2 wins (2012 and 2013 Canadian Opens)
  • leading amateur honors in 6 of her 7 major appearances
  • now a 2nd place in a major

So, what are the expectations on her as a pro? While I'd love for her first year as a pro to be a barnstormer, my expectation are a little more tempered than that. I'm half-expecting a quiet year next year as she gets used to the pressure of playing for big dollars.

lydia 2.jpg

Oh yeah, likely the sponsors will be lining up for her signature - potentially very marketable in both Asia and the US/Europe. I have no idea what LPGA players make in endorsements - anyone want to have a guess at what kind of $$$ Lydia could be pulling? How hard will it be for Lydia to make the change? Is the weight of expectation really that heavy of a burden?

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

I agree we won't know completely until she actually goes Pro. You do raise a good point though about attitude - I wonder whether having a group of people relying on her performances for their own paychecks will affect her, if at all. I hope it doesn't, but whether she likes it or not, once she turns pro she's not just doing it for herself - there's a bunch of people around her with vested interests.

We will know soon enough - word here (she arrived home this morning) is that she will spend the next 3-months focusing on schoolwork and may not even pick up a club in that time, and will be pro by April (her 17th birthday).

• 1 year later...

12 months ago I was querying how Ms Ko would fare as a Pro in her first year. A look back at her stats for the year shows a lot of Top-10s in various categories.

Highlights:

- No missed cuts

- 3 victories

- 15 Top-10s

- Rookie of the Year

- over $3M including the CME bonus

image.jpg

I'd say that she's handling the pressure...

Archived