Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Wedge Shafts?

dphess

How many of you have upgraded your wedge shafts? I currently play Ping Tour wedges 50,54,58 with the stock Ping CFS wedge in a Stiff Flex.  I am looking for recommendations on some shafts to consider. I plan on getting fitted and trying some different shafts. My goal is lower my launch angle and increase the spin on my wedges. Thanks

Dan

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 with Mitsubishi Diamana Red M+ 50 x5ct shaft Reg flex

3-wood: Taylormade M5 with Mitsubishi Tensei Orange shaft Reg flex

5-wood: Taylormade r11s Aldila RIP Phenom shaft Reg flex

Irons: Maltby STi2 5-GW with Apollo Stepless shafts Reg flex

Wedges: 56,60 Titleist Vokey SM5

Putter: Odyssey white hot tour 5

Ball: Taylormade Tour Response

I have a combo of shafts. DG spinners in my 56 & 60 and carried through my regular iron shafts into the 50 degree. On the 50 though I went up one flex and used an 8 iron shaft so it's soft stepped twice.

So far I'm very happy with the way they play

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ive owned a few wedges with the DG Spinner shaft and didnt notice much of a difference from that to wedges with TT Wedge shafts or R300 shafts.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have my wedges soft stepped the same way hckymeyer does. I have noticed a better feel with them with some added spin

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I have a combo of shafts. DG spinners in my 56 & 60 and carried through my regular iron shafts into the 50 degree. On the 50 though I went up one flex and used an 8 iron shaft so it's soft stepped twice.

So far I'm very happy with the way they play

Depending on what shafts you're using, using an 8 iron shaft can be a soft step once or soft step twice. I use Dynamic Golds so me going up a flex and using an 8 iron is soft stepped once because the 9 iron and PW use the same shaft. Some shafts have a separate 9 iron and PW shaft. So it depends on the shaft you're using as to how many times you're soft stepping. Not saying anything as to how many times yours are soft stepped, just wanted that out there for those considering doing that (Tiger stepping) that you're soft stepping once in some situations and twice in others.

I use DG spinners in my 56 and 60. My GW has the same shaft as my iron set. And my 64* has an X100 soft stepped once 8 iron shaft.

I did it this way because my 56 and 60 are primarily used for partial shots.

My 64 was done that way because the DG Spinners weren't out yet and the soft step a flex up is an old school way to create a spinner shaft. The GW is used more for full shots and I used the same shaft as my set make up.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Depending on what shafts you're using, using an 8 iron shaft can be a soft step once or soft step twice. I use Dynamic Golds so me going up a flex and using an 8 iron is soft stepped once because the 9 iron and PW use the same shaft. Some shafts have a separate 9 iron and PW shaft. So it depends on the shaft you're using as to how many times you're soft stepping. Not saying anything as to how many times yours are soft stepped, just wanted that out there for those considering doing that (Tiger stepping) that you're soft stepping once in some situations and twice in others.

I use DG spinners in my 56 and 60. My GW has the same shaft as my iron set. And my 64* has an X100 soft stepped once 8 iron shaft.

My 64 was done that way because the DG Spinners weren't out yet and the soft step a flex up is an old school way to create a spinner shaft. The GW is used more for full shots and I used the same shaft as my set make up.

Good point, I think the C-Tapers have the same in the 9 and PW as well.  So it's only soft stepped once.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Darn Rookie how did you learn the "old school" method of building spinner shafts I thought that was an exclusive old fart trick I have been doing that for years plus I am a cheapo and I still do it that way. I did not think you were old enough to know that one

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm using KBS Tour wedge shafts that match the shafts in my irons. I was kicking around the idea of testing out some High Rev shafts, but I like the flight and feel of the standard shafts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Darn Rookie how did you learn the "old school" method of building spinner shafts I thought that was an exclusive old fart trick I have been doing that for years plus I am a cheapo and I still do it that way. I did not think you were old enough to know that one

Lots of reading of Wishon, Maltby, Kwok, etc. I read as much clubwork stuff as I do actual golf media, lol.  I'm an equipment geek.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. There are definitely a lot of options out there.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 with Mitsubishi Diamana Red M+ 50 x5ct shaft Reg flex

3-wood: Taylormade M5 with Mitsubishi Tensei Orange shaft Reg flex

5-wood: Taylormade r11s Aldila RIP Phenom shaft Reg flex

Irons: Maltby STi2 5-GW with Apollo Stepless shafts Reg flex

Wedges: 56,60 Titleist Vokey SM5

Putter: Odyssey white hot tour 5

Ball: Taylormade Tour Response

Lots of reading of Wishon, Maltby, Kwok, etc. I read as much clubwork stuff as I do actual golf media, lol.  I'm an equipment geek.

Yep I read a lot of Wishon and Maltby myself. I think in the real world they call this "contuining education"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have KBS wedge and Hi Rev and DG Spinners and DG Wedge.  I have them all.  I just installed a Hi Rev in a Callaway Forged Copper Wedge.  I got this wedge today and played around with it.  Then swapped out the shaft for a KBS Hi Rev.

This will be my first time to put a new C-C wedge on a Hi Rev shaft.  I had a C-C Mizuno on a DG Spinner and never loved it.  I put some on Hi Rev Shafts but they were not new.  I only changed to the Hi Rev after I became dissatisfied with the older wedge.

I will report back tomorrow.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Always s400 - never cared for the feel of anything else and don't believe in the hype of spinner shafts

WOW!! That is really old school I did not think they made the S-400 anymore I cannot find it in any of my catalogs. I called Maltby and they told me it had been replaced by the X-100. I used to play that shaft when I was younger. I had checked into that because a guy I build clubs for wanted a set of Rocket Bladez clones set up like that. I did however find a set of S-400 pulls that I got real cheap for him and installed those and he was well satisifed

G

WOW!! That is really old school I did not think they made the S-400 anymore I cannot find it in any of my catalogs. I called Maltby and they told me it had been replaced by the X-100. I used to play that shaft when I was younger. I had checked into that because a guy I build clubs for wanted a set of Rocket Bladez clones set up like that. I did however find a set of S-400 pulls that I got real cheap for him and installed those and he was well satisifed

They very much still make them, both regular and weight sorted (tour issue). They play stiffer than S300 too, which is what I like and the reason I play them myself.

Matter of fact, the Maltby employee that told you that obviously doesn't know how to read their own catalogue. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_DGI

They sell them

In The Bag

They very much still make them, both regular and weight sorted (tour issue). They play stiffer than S300 too, which is what I like and the reason I play them myself.

Matter of fact, the Maltby employee that told you that obviously doesn't know how to read their own catalogue. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_DGI

They sell them

I could not find them but lol I am old and get side tracked They are a little stiff for me now but I do still play S-300s. My buddy got a great deal though I got the pulls 8 shafts for $15 and they had fairly new Lamkin cords so he came out ok he was happy. But I am glad you told me that though you live and learn

G

• 4 weeks later...

I just went to DG spinners in my Scratch wedges and love them. I have always struggled with distance in wedges and these seem to have done the trick and solved that issue.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Archived