TESTERS WANTED! ×

Improve in the off-season

I wasn't going to make this point but RP talked me into it. For the most part I have covered this already in various places.

Some common questions to be asked would be things like

~ How can one improve without countless reps hitting balls?

~ How can you improve without even swinging a club full?

~ How can I improve without a club even in my hands?

Well let me answer these questions with what I personally did this past off season and plan to do it again because it worked for me.

Q: How can you improve without even swinging a club full?

A: By isolating a part of the swing or process of making a swing

>> Example :: process taking your posture, alignment, grip etc the basics

>> Example :: Movements of taking the club away from the ball (the takeaway)

Q: How can I improve without a club even in my hands?

A: The club is a distraction when making new moves that feel awkward.

>> drop the club grab you thumb of the leading hand with your trailing hand and make the movements you are trying to make.

>>>> left thumb in right palm for right handed golfers

Q: How can one improve without countless reps hitting balls?

A: See the above two answers, and the fact that you can isolate a movement in the swing at 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% speed building up to your normal tempo

~ At each one of these steps focus on getting the positions / movements you are practicing correct.

>> start with no club and 20% build it up to full speed.

>> add the club grip down and start at 20% build up to full speed.

>> add the club in normal position and start at 20% and build up to full speed.

Just a few things that have worked for me to keep my swing sharp for the first range session in the spring or that odd ball day it is sunny and warm enough to play for the northern folks. I am not telling you what you need to work on here, that is for an instructor to do. I am giving you ways to put in the work away from the golf course.

Full swings at air are not really productive in my experience, the timing into impact is not in place that distraction is not in place. Just isolate one thing in the swing at one time:

~ Takeaway

~ Getting to the top

~ Transition

~ To impact (using an impact bag)

Hope that helps someone this off-season. Put in the reps when you can and you should see the reward.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

When is the off season?

I live in Sunny FLA......we play year 'round..we don't have an off season........LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Here in Atlanta we have about 3-5 days of unplayable weather. Otherwise, it is wear some base layers and golf.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Enough already with the no off-season stuff, you're making me feel bad!

My season is definitely winding down between weather getting colder and birth of the 2nd child getting closer.  I figure at best I have a couple weeks left.

In addition to the stuff jmiller said I keep a club and a putter in my office.  Throughout the day I will hit some putts just to work on stroke and tempo as well as starting the ball on my desired line.  Then I'll grab the club and just work on grip and setup.  It's not much, but it keeps me from going crazy while the white stuff is on the ground.  Mix in a few rounds on a simulator and it's just enough to not do this every winter.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

When is the off season?

I live in Sunny FLA......we play year 'round..we don't have an off season........LOL

Same goes for us in California.

Here in Atlanta we have about 3-5 days of unplayable weather. Otherwise, it is wear some base layers and golf.

And here is the reason that I didn't want to post this in the first place.

I knew some members of this board were going to pad their post counts by telling me it doesn't apply to the and give absolutely no useful information towards the topic.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Enough already with the no off-season stuff, you're making me feel bad!

My season is definitely winding down between weather getting colder and birth of the 2nd child getting closer.  I figure at best I have a couple weeks left.

In addition to the stuff jmiller said I keep a club and a putter in my office.  Throughout the day I will hit some putts just to work on stroke and tempo as well as starting the ball on my desired line.  Then I'll grab the club and just work on grip and setup.  It's not much, but it keeps me from going crazy while the white stuff is on the ground.  Mix in a few rounds on a simulator and it's just enough to not do this every winter.

Thanks for adding some ideas to the topic

Excellent piece JM!!

Hat's Off!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thanks, you have any ideas to add?

{double post sorry}

I knew some members of this board were going to pad their post counts by telling me it doesn't apply to the and give absolutely no useful information towards the topic.

Dude! You have good stuff to share, but kinda ruin any chances of people taking you serious with comments like that. Don't be so thin skinned Man. Nobody was bashing you. There wasn't anything offensive in their posts, just normal conversation.

Sorry, I was just having a laugh.  I truthfully think it is a really good post, and for me it hits close to home not because of off season, but off days.  I keep my old clubs in my office and second version of the putter I play in my office at all times.  I put and practice swing frequently while I wait for long running things on my computers.  

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I will add that the off season is a really good time to work on strength and flexibility. I have a Momentus club that is one of my favorite things to use when it is a little too cold to get out and hit balls. I find that it helps keep my golf muscles loose and can improve some finer points as far as plane and a full turn.

Also, as mentioned above, putting is the one area that you can work on no matter what, my favorite is to drop a ball on the carpet and then hit a couple of putts with the first ball as the target, it focuses me on a smaller target than a hole and can really help with distance control.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I will add that the off season is a really good time to work on strength and flexibility. I have a Momentus club that is one of my favorite things to use when it is a little too cold to get out and hit balls. I find that it helps keep my golf muscles loose and can improve some finer points as far as plane and a full turn.

Also, as mentioned above, putting is the one area that you can work on no matter what, my favorite is to drop a ball on the carpet and then hit a couple of putts with the first ball as the target, it focuses me on a smaller target than a hole and can really help with distance control.

I use a quarter same thing I believe and I do it even though I have no offseason to speak of. I use the mirror a lot both at home and work to check on my swing positions. For me a mirror is very useful. I think it fits with jmillers observations.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Here is the key.................don't have an off season.  My cousin is one of the best players around and we are out banging balls in the middle of the winter............I'm talking like over a month, we are the only two people that have went to the range.  If there is snow on the ground or it's below 35*, we go to an indoor range and bang balls.  If I'm snowed in, I still go out and swing in the yard.  I actually like swinging with snow on the ground, because you can see your swing path.  I swing a club every single day.  So, while JM has some great points/ideas in his original post, I say.........don't go a day without having a club in your hands.  If you truly want to get better, you have to work hard........thats why my lil cuz is so good, he works harder than anyone.

I seem to be the "last man standing" at the course closest to home & between the 40-50 degree temps, winds and leaves (lots & lots of leaves...), even I'm not playing full rounds.  What's nice is that with no one else on the course, I can use the course for personal practice for different turf conditions, uneven lies, bunker play, etc without having to worry about it.  :P   All the stuff I can't really practice indoors, I'm trying to work on before the snow hits and outside play is out of the question.

Once the season is really over, I've got a building setup to workout and practice indoors.  For us older guys, "use it, or lose it," is particularly true. ;)  I don't have any recent pictures, but the one below shows the launch monitor and the hitting / putting surface.  Behind that, I've got free weights, treadmill, Explanar, impact bag, etc.

CaddyShack3.jpg

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

^  are you kidding me ?  THAT IS A NICE "off season" set up"  well done WBEALSD, well done.  Hats off.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I seem to be the "last man standing" at the course closest to home & between the 40-50 degree temps, winds and leaves (lots & lots of leaves...), even I'm not playing full rounds.  What's nice is that with no one else on the course, I can use the course for personal practice for different turf conditions, uneven lies, bunker play, etc without having to worry about it.  :P   All the stuff I can't really practice indoors, I'm trying to work on before the snow hits and outside play is out of the question.

Once the season is really over, I've got a building setup to workout and practice indoors.  For us older guys, "use it, or lose it," is particularly true. ;)  I don't have any recent pictures, but the one below shows the launch monitor and the hitting / putting surface.  Behind that, I've got free weights, treadmill, Explanar, impact bag, etc.

Have you put together a build list/cost list of what you did for that build out?  

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Good topic. Here's my current situation.

I am trying to shorten my back swingswing - Left elbow breaks down at top, right elbow flares out at top and hips fire too much towards the target rather than around and left. Granted I can play just fine with these "problems", but I may as well work on something since I don't get to play as much golf for a little while, but I still practice a ton.

Schedule:

Just had a baby about 6 weeks ago. That means no golf on the weekends for a few months (maybe some quick 9 holes rounds or a range session everyother weekend), but I still practice a ton Mon-Fri. A large bucket eveyday at lunch and a small on the way home. I also just got a slo-mo camera and film myself constantly which is something I hated doing before.

The fixes:

Hips/pivot: Turning the hips properly was pretty easy. I just move my right should and right hip together from the top - more unified rather than X-facter type junk.

Shortening my backswing: much harder, but doable and getting better. I work with Bruce Rearick and showed him lots of video. He gave me some feelings to work on like keeping the forearms closer (Hogan 5 Lessons stuff). What I have found is the shorter backswing leads to a much better shaft kick through and after impact and  the too-high-ball flight hits have come down. I also put less effort for the same distance.

Offseason helps:

I really think if I was playing my typical 2 rounds a week I would have given up on swing changes. I would have a scoring focus and a distance focus on the course that would create an urgency and prohibit sticking to changes that feel weak at first. But because all I can do is hit the range and stand in front of a mirror at home changing my swing is the focus. I've learned more about my own swong and how wonderfully different many pro swings are. Look at Lee Westwoods chicken wing, Angel Cabrerra's bent left arm and long backswing, Tiger's head dip etc etc...

The offseason is great time to get to know every part of YOUR swing.

I spy with my little eye something...

I certainly appreciate this post.  Every single year I vow to play in the winter and practice even more to start out next year stronger.  Seems like one thing leads to another and I haven't when March roles around.  I spend the 1st 2-3 months of the golf season getting my swing worked out and watching my handicap inflate a few strokes.  I am gonna try once again to do it this year.  The only thing holding me back is being too lazy to get out in the cold. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I have my offseason target in mind now. I have been watching some videos of my swing through the season and compared it to some older videos from when I was playing my best and I picked out two flaws that crept in over the year. I didn't like my posture at address or through the swing. As a result, I was standing too tall at address and as a result, my shoulders were too level at the top of my swing. I was getting back to impact in a proper position, but it was a rounder swing that lost some of the pop at impact which cost me about a half a club. The second was a slower hip rotation that led to inconsistent path into the ball. I'll be spending some time in our indoor teaching area this winter to get these flaws eliminated for next season.

I'll usually spend an hour or two five days a week hitting in our indoor teaching area. If the weather is nice enough, I will get out and play nine.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for a delayed response, I haven't spent much time online since I retired a couple of months ago and I didn't notice I'd been asked a couple of questions!

I just had surgery on my left hand, so I'm one finger typing on an iPad right now, so I've got to be brief.

I spent a few months researching golf sims and launch monitors, with the best information found at the Ottawa Golf simulator forum http://forum.ottawagolf.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Home-Simulators Cost for a system like mine can vary, I got a GREAT deal on a used system when an indoor sim business closed its doors. A new GC2 is about $6700 and cost for sim software, PC, projector, hitting mat, netting, etc can add around $3500-$4000, less if you have PC, projector, etc. and you DIY as much as possible. There are other systems to consider as well, like the ProTee, TruGolf, etc.. I bought everything except the package deal I got from the former owner from Cory at Par2Pro, who was also a great source for advice and can offer customized packages.

As I told my wife, it's cheaper than a Harley and I won't get hurt if I tip over, so I was able to get her to "buy in" on the project!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I swing in our horse barn and hit cayman golf balls into a net with a heater on..off of hard dirt floor. Forces you to make hands first contact for sure..when hitting off of a hard dirt floor. Actually doing this last winter..made me a very solid iron player this year,,

Sounds old school..but it worked

Mm

Rich

I agree.. That firm compacted hard dirt is a great "impact / training tool..". When season kicks back in, I try and find hard pan or tight lies to hit off of on the driving range. Those fluffy lies and such..just lead to ingraining a flip type of impact,.imo

11 degrees here..a foot of snow on the way,,and already a 1/2 inch of ice..early winter guys and gals

• 2 months later...

Happy to see this turned into a good productive post. Thanks everyone for contributing.

• 4 months later...

Archived